Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 Chances of Refund from Hawaiian Airlines?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2020, 6:56 pm
bec
Original Poster

I have a $6,000 outlay of a Hawaiian trip June 20-July 6...We cannot reschedule for next year...what is your best guess HA will cancel this? Just to help me sleep tonight?
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by bec
I have a $6,000 outlay of a Hawaiian trip June 20-July 6...We cannot reschedule for next year...what is your best guess HA will cancel this? Just to help me sleep tonight?
Think it depends on the COVID situation. I was able to cancel an award ticket I had booked for late July (via chat no less!) but was not entitled to a refund, nor was I expecting one under the current waivers. I am allowed to rebook the ticket when I'm ready and the value of the miles + taxes are stored.

HA's current policy is to offer refunds as follows:
RefundsFull refund without fee or penalty is allowed if:
  • New arrival at destination or new departure from origin is greater than six (6) hours earlier or later than the original time.
  • New itinerary requires changes to any of the following:
    • Origin or destination airport, except for co-terminals in the Bay Area (SFO,OAK and SJC) and Los Angeles Basin (LAX and LGB)
    • From HA Mainline to ‘Ohana.
All refunds must be processed through the ticketing source.
https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/leg...-change-policy

So if a refund is what you are looking for, you'll need to wait to see whether Hawaiian further extends the schedule reductions beyond May 20th. As of yesterday, Hawaiian has decided to continue their April schedule through May 20th subject to a few additions: https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/coronavirus (click "Updated Flight Schedule")
Old May 1, 2020, 9:20 am
bec
Original Poster

Thank you! I am in a sit and hold...Even if the situation gets better, Hawaii will not be fully open and all tours, experiences, restaurants closed. So I am really hoping for a refund.
Old May 1, 2020, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bec
I'd say 100% as long as the flight is not from LAX or SFO - Hawaiian has a blanket exemption from DOT to all mainland cities until Sept 30 except for LAX and SFO

I also put at 0% the island 14 day quarantine will be lifted by June 20
Old May 1, 2020, 4:35 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Hawaiian has a blanket exemption from DOT to all mainland cities until Sept 30 except for LAX and SFO
What do you mean by "blanket exemption?"
Old May 1, 2020, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 747FC
What do you mean by "blanket exemption?"
Believe HNLbasedFlyer is referring to the DOT exemptions granted under the CARES Act obligation relieving Hawaiian from operating all its Mainland routes except SFO and LAX, which can be found here:

https://www.regulations.gov/document...2020-0037-0079

But the problem with this assumption is that just because the DOT has exempted it, does not necessarily mean that HA won't operate the flights. If the demand is there, HA will fly it.

While I think the chances of the April and early-May reductions continuing into June and maybe July are high because there is talk of extending the stay at home orders will be extended into June and beyond, I also think it's a bit overstated to say there is a 100% chance that other flights won't go. People should continue to monitor the ever-changing situation.

EDIT: To further my point, HA announced yesterday that it would resume SEA service, which is a city covered by the DOT exemption. https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/ha...ttle-honolulu/
747FC likes this.

Last edited by slippahs; May 1, 2020 at 6:41 pm
Old May 1, 2020, 8:35 pm
bec
Original Poster

So a non stop JFK-Honolulu would just need a schedule change since it is not one of those listed terminals?
Old May 2, 2020, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bec
So a non stop JFK-Honolulu would just need a schedule change since it is not one of those listed terminals?
Yes, just need a schedule change of over 6 hours or a cancellation. You'll just want the current flight suspensions to carry over into June.
Old May 2, 2020, 2:15 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by slippahs
Believe HNLbasedFlyer is referring to the DOT exemptions granted under the CARES Act obligation relieving Hawaiian from operating all its Mainland routes except SFO and LAX, which can be found here:

https://www.regulations.gov/document...2020-0037-0079

But the problem with this assumption is that just because the DOT has exempted it, does not necessarily mean that HA won't operate the flights. If the demand is there, HA will fly it.

While I think the chances of the April and early-May reductions continuing into June and maybe July are high because there is talk of extending the stay at home orders will be extended into June and beyond, I also think it's a bit overstated to say there is a 100% chance that other flights won't go. People should continue to monitor the ever-changing situation.

EDIT: To further my point, HA announced yesterday that it would resume SEA service, which is a city covered by the DOT exemption. https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/ha...ttle-honolulu/
Wasn't aware of these details. Mahalo for explaining.
Old May 2, 2020, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
My 2 cents: The probability of HA51 JFK-HNL flying on June 20th is about 0, IME. Here's why:

1) The "tone" based on news reports and HI Senate hearings are that tourists are persona non grata in Hawaii for the foreseeable future. The "official" deadline for the 14-day quarantine for anyone flying into the state, or between islands, is May 31st. The current thinking is that they *might* lift the inter-island quarantine requirement at the end of the month. But, not to accommodate tourism, rather to accommodate those with extended families throughout the state. The lawmakers have been on the HiDOT's case to tighten up surveillance of the 100 or so tourists that arrive here everyday. Normally, we get about 30,000/day. So, if they can't fully deal with 100+ how are they going to deal with thousands?

2) Right now, HA has no JFK or BOS service to HNL. However, they partner with B6 (Jet Blue). Assuming there is still no JFK/BOS-HNL service in June, HA would then try to put you on a B6 flight to LAX or SFO to catch the HA flight. But even the earliest B6 flight ex-JFK gets in too late to connect to what is HA's only flight, at present, to HNL.

Given the above, I don't foresee HA adding any JFK/BOS-HNL and will wait till probably at least the end of May to cancel them. I also, don't see HA expanding LAX/SFO-HNL service into June either. Just a good guess on my part based on how cancellations across all domestic flights have been going. The tell is when the flight remains on the schedule but all the inventory is zeroed out to prevent further bookings. Keep in mind that the longer an airline takes to cancel a flight the longer they can delay a refund and "wait out" the pax hoping the pax will cancel their reservation before the airline does and accept a credit. It's a game of chicken.

So, to the OP, be patient as others have suggested. Check once a week at least (Sunday is best) to see if you can book your outbound as if for the first time. If you can't then either the flight is cancelled or they have zeroed the inventory in anticipation of cancelling.

Good luck and stay safe!
Old May 2, 2020, 6:38 pm
bec
Original Poster

Originally Posted by inlanikai
My 2 cents: The probability of HA51 JFK-HNL flying on June 20th is about 0, IME. Here's why:

1) The "tone" based on news reports and HI Senate hearings are that tourists are persona non grata in Hawaii for the foreseeable future. The "official" deadline for the 14-day quarantine for anyone flying into the state, or between islands, is May 31st. The current thinking is that they *might* lift the inter-island quarantine requirement at the end of the month. But, not to accommodate tourism, rather to accommodate those with extended families throughout the state. The lawmakers have been on the HiDOT's case to tighten up surveillance of the 100 or so tourists that arrive here everyday. Normally, we get about 30,000/day. So, if they can't fully deal with 100+ how are they going to deal with thousands?

2) Right now, HA has no JFK or BOS service to HNL. However, they partner with B6 (Jet Blue). Assuming there is still no JFK/BOS-HNL service in June, HA would then try to put you on a B6 flight to LAX or SFO to catch the HA flight. But even the earliest B6 flight ex-JFK gets in too late to connect to what is HA's only flight, at present, to HNL.

Given the above, I don't foresee HA adding any JFK/BOS-HNL and will wait till probably at least the end of May to cancel them. I also, don't see HA expanding LAX/SFO-HNL service into June either. Just a good guess on my part based on how cancellations across all domestic flights have been going. The tell is when the flight remains on the schedule but all the inventory is zeroed out to prevent further bookings. Keep in mind that the longer an airline takes to cancel a flight the longer they can delay a refund and "wait out" the pax hoping the pax will cancel their reservation before the airline does and accept a credit. It's a game of chicken.

So, to the OP, be patient as others have suggested. Check once a week at least (Sunday is best) to see if you can book your outbound as if for the first time. If you can't then either the flight is cancelled or they have zeroed the inventory in anticipation of cancelling.

Good luck and stay safe!
OP here!!! Thank you very much for this! I have a Disney Aulani reservation I would love to cancel and deal with any potential loss as well but I will hang tight. In the meantime I do as you suggested. I really appreciate the help!
Old May 6, 2020, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by slippahs
I missed that - and I'm really surprised. They must have picked up some new cargo contract.
Old May 21, 2020, 1:09 pm
bec
Original Poster

New Post.. because I am ticked! Hawaiian Air

So I received an email this morning that our HA 51 JFK/Oahu roundtrip was canceled on June 25th. I emailed the request for the refund as we are not sure at this point we can reschedule for next year. I notice that the interisland airfare round trip is still active. (5 people) So I chatted with HA and they said that since they have not cancelled the interisland , we cannot receive a refund and as it looks to them, they have fulfilled their "alternative accomodation agreement" and the flight is active and we are, in their words, "Good to GO". Lol! Just wanted to vent. Also since we had 1 1/2 seats of value in free airfare with points, can I transfer those to another airline? I guess that is the next battle with them. Anyway. thanks for letting me vent about HA cancelling my mainland flight and NOT releasing me out of the interisland fare.

Unfortunately we are unable to provide you with a refund as we were able to provide you with alternative accommodations. If you do not wish to travel, you have the following options:
1) Rebook your itinerary with no change fee or fare difference for travel beginning on or before December 16, 2020
2) Rebook your itinerary with no change fee for travel through May 31, 2022 (for tickets purchased prior to March 1, 2020) or 2 years from the original date of purchase (for tickets purchased on or after March 1, 2020).

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 24, 2020 at 5:00 am Reason: merged with other thread started by OP as all questions are specific to this itinerary
Old May 21, 2020, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Would you have had to quarantine for two weeks on arrival?
Old May 21, 2020, 1:29 pm
bec
Original Poster

Yes, we would. That was the reason HA gave for canceling our mainland flight. Supposedly interlsland air (and some mainland flights) are still continuing but they have to quarantine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.