Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Barclays Hawaiian Airlines Annual Fee - Beware

Old Mar 10, 20, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN, Alaska, AA, Hilton, Marriott

I recently signed up for an in-flight offer on a Hawaiian Airline branded Barclay Card. The offer was 60k points with no annual fee with the points released on the first purchase as an in-flight offer. On my first billing cycle, I was billed the $99 dollars and called Barclay's to open up a case to try and have the fee rescinded. After a month, they said the T&C were correct and that they would not be refunding the $99.

I tried calling to contest to no avail, was stonewalled by a rude supervisor. Told her that there is no way I would sign up for a card with an annual fee the first year. There is no way I would sign up for a card with an annual fee the first year unless it was something amazing like the Chase Sapphire Reserve (didn't say this part to her, but know it to be a fact).

Beware of this card and Barclays. Incompetent at best, and shady business practices at worst. As for me, I've learned my lesson to make a copy of all CC applications for situations like this.

Last edited by acardio; Mar 10, 20 at 1:26 pm Reason: clarity
Old Mar 10, 20, 5:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
IIRC, the previous in-flight offer had the annual fee waived, but for at least the last several weeks, in-flight has been bonus on first purchase with no fee waiver and the online offer is $2k spend with fee waiver.
Old Mar 10, 20, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

I applied at the beginning of January, and it was definitely no annual fee. Maybe they changed the T&C after I mailed the application, and by the time it was processed they assessed the annual fee.

I'm flying on Hawaiian to Maui in a few weeks, I plan on checking out the offer on the plane to see what it is.

At the end of the day, got 60k miles and will be saving money on some baggage on HA flight in the near future, so that takes the edge off a bit. Still a little frustrating to get charged the fee when it was a card that I didn't need.

edit: Have been talking to a guy who applied recently online and was also assessed the fee. Seems like Barclay doesn't have their stuff together.

Last edited by acardio; Mar 10, 20 at 7:55 pm Reason: add'l info
Old Mar 11, 20, 12:47 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
I have had a very poor experience with Barclay's: It was a Hawaiian Airlines/Bank of Hawaii card, but the issuing bank was Barclays. I cancelled the card, and it would not cancel. Had to go to a manager in my BOH branch, and even they had difficulty getting Barclay's to cancel the card. Finally happened.

I'd never open an account with them (Barclays) again.
Old Mar 11, 20, 2:28 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Isn't the business MC issued directly from Bank of Hawai'i?
Old Mar 11, 20, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic View Post
Isn't the business MC issued directly from Bank of Hawai'i?
No. Click on the terms and conditions link here and it takes you to Barclay's web site.

https://www.boh.com/business/credit-card

As far as I know, B of H doesn't issue or service any credit cards .. it's just marketing and branding.

-David
Tanic likes this.
Old Mar 20, 20, 11:13 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
Hello,

I have had horrible experience with this card as well. The staff at Barclays is rude and unable to answer basic questions, not to mention you can't get through to Hawaiian right now. It is horrible! I would not fly Hawaiian right now to the Islands as you can't call at all and the customer service is non existent. I would stick to Southwest or United.
Old Mar 26, 20, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Update: Last week I called to cancel my HA Mastercard. It was pretty easy and painless through their automated system. Here's the kicker: the automated system indicated that I was eligible for a refund of my $99 annual fee. The same annual fee that Barclays denied upon appeal.

I called them today and requested a check for the negative balance, and it should arrive in 7-10 days. Barclays is honestly a mess, this will most likely be the last card I get through them. Sticking to Chase, Citi, AMEX branded cards.
Old Mar 27, 20, 11:29 am

We signed up twice for the Hawaiian Airlines Barclay card and both times the $99 fee was upfront. Did you get an application on the plane and save it stating no fee for first year?

Never had problem with Barclays but their website is clunky for sure.

Hawaiian itself has been superb for us through the last few weeks... 2 refunds for non-refundable tickets all paid within 7 days... and one fee free reschedule as well.
Old Mar 28, 20, 2:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I had no problem canceling my card online and the annual fee was adjusted off my last bill.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: