Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HA COVID-19 related travel waiver

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2020, 8:59 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Just called about a refund on our canceled flight for Apr 19th. Was on hold for less than a minute (and I have no status with HA) !! Agent immediately offered to refund the ticket in full within 7 days. Terrific service !!!!
Received a refund back to my credit card, just 4 days after calling HA.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 10:53 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Did anyone get their seat upgrade fees refunded? Mine have yet to be refunded, although the customer service rep said that this would occur.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 1:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, United 1K, Southwest Preferred Plus
I had a flight on March 24. I tried for days to cancel the flight. First by calling of which most of the times it went to busy and then i was on hold for hours (never was able to get through). I finally sent a cancellation request online. I received a confirmation immediately that they received it but no contact after regarding cancellation or refund. Today I wrote a follow-up email via their website and received this return to my email:
Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

[email protected]
The recipient's mailbox is full and can't accept messages now. Please try resending your message later, or contact the recipient directly.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by aloha12
I had a flight on March 24. I tried for days to cancel the flight. First by calling of which most of the times it went to busy and then i was on hold for hours (never was able to get through). I finally sent a cancellation request online. I received a confirmation immediately that they received it but no contact after regarding cancellation or refund. Today I wrote a follow-up email via their website and received this return to my email:

[email protected]
The recipient's mailbox is full and can't accept messages now. Please try resending your message later, or contact the recipient directly.
Try phoning them around 7-8 pm tonight. I got through instantly when I called them around this time last Wednesday
aloha12 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:48 am

Can anyone relate to my issue...

I booked a trip to Maui through Costco Travel on a Hawaiian air flight leaving May 7th 2020. Because of COVID19, I cancelled the whole travel package with Costco however they will not, based on their contract with Hawaiian air, refund me the full amount, or any amount for that matter of the $775 tickets. After calling Hawaiian they said "Call Costco back and have them call us for the cancellation code to enter in their system since you booked through them(Of course the agent wouldn't give me the code over the phone and when asked to speak to someone else she said "They're just going to tell you the same thing, so your only option is to call Costco"")....umm ya ok Hawaiian. So I called Costco back a second time and again, based on their contract with Hawaiian they can't execute a full refund and won't call the airline to do so. Hawaiian is saying "you now have a voucher with us to use until the end of 2020"...Well, when will the COVID19 end for it to be safe to travel again? Let's say that's June, so then I only have six months left in the year to rebook another family vacation?! Umm hello, I booked this a year ago and can't just "add a new vacation" to the calendar, so that policy is BS. They are holding my money hostage and stealing!

Now I see folks are having some luck with getting refunds for travel up until April 30th and since my trip doesn't leave until May 7th, and isn't yet cancelled by Hawaiian what else can I do here?

When I DO decide to book a trip to Hawaii I'm NOT flying Hawaiian! It's total BS they won't 100% refund my tickets.

Any suggestions?
Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:57 am

Programs: LH Miles & More
Originally Posted by aloha12

[email protected]
Same error for me, already contacted them two times with the Refund request on their website and have used the chat agent. Nothing reimbursed nor miles reinstated for Award travel. Unfortunately cannot call them as I am based in Europe.

Any other ideas?
Old Apr 9, 2020, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by RobKat
Can anyone relate to my issue...

I booked a trip to Maui through Costco Travel on a Hawaiian air flight leaving May 7th 2020. Because of COVID19, I cancelled the whole travel package with Costco however they will not, based on their contract with Hawaiian air, refund me the full amount, or any amount for that matter of the $775 tickets. After calling Hawaiian they said "Call Costco back and have them call us for the cancellation code to enter in their system since you booked through them(Of course the agent wouldn't give me the code over the phone and when asked to speak to someone else she said "They're just going to tell you the same thing, so your only option is to call Costco"")....umm ya ok Hawaiian. So I called Costco back a second time and again, based on their contract with Hawaiian they can't execute a full refund and won't call the airline to do so. Hawaiian is saying "you now have a voucher with us to use until the end of 2020"...Well, when will the COVID19 end for it to be safe to travel again? Let's say that's June, so then I only have six months left in the year to rebook another family vacation?! Umm hello, I booked this a year ago and can't just "add a new vacation" to the calendar, so that policy is BS. They are holding my money hostage and stealing!

Now I see folks are having some luck with getting refunds for travel up until April 30th and since my trip doesn't leave until May 7th, and isn't yet cancelled by Hawaiian what else can I do here?

When I DO decide to book a trip to Hawaii I'm NOT flying Hawaiian! It's total BS they won't 100% refund my tickets.

Any suggestions?
Has your flight been canceled? If not, they are under no obligation to refund until it is canceled. Also any requests for changes or refunds on tickets purchased through a travel agent must go through that travel agent; that applies to all airlines. So it's up to Costco to get your refund. If they are having difficulties they have an HA sales rep whom they should lean on. Curious, why did you book through Costco? Was the fare cheaper going through them vs. booking direct with HA? Was the airfare part of a Costco travel package to Hawaii?
Old Apr 9, 2020, 11:48 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by franzose
Unfortunately cannot call them as I am based in Europe.
Why is that stopping you - there are endless apps that let you call free.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 5:11 pm

with the current waiver, if i use points for an upgrade would i get refunded the points?
Old Apr 11, 2020, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Why is that stopping you - there are endless apps that let you call free.
such as...?
Old Apr 11, 2020, 6:13 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by franzose
such as...?
Doesn't a Skype phone call cost like 6 cents a minute or something like that?
Old Apr 12, 2020, 12:02 pm

Thanks for the response. HA has NOT cancelled the flight yet, so I keep checking to see if/when that happens so I can call Costco back and get the refund. I used Costco for a whole package with a rental car, hotel and other credits so the appeal was all that. We'll see what happens; Once HA cancels the flight, then I will call Costco back and work with them. Makes sense that HA can't do much to help me. Appreciate the thoughts.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Boringbarry
with the current waiver, if i use points for an upgrade would i get refunded the points?
My experience with a flight I canceled under the waiver (that was still scheduled to fly): I was told to redeposit the miles, I had to pay $30 per direction. Or, I could keep it "attached" to my credit and if when I try to use my credit there was upgrade space, I could apply the miles then. If there wasn't space at the time I tried to use the credit, then I'd have to pay the $30 per way to redeposit the miles. So I decided to just leave attached to the credit for now.

Last week I had a different reservation where the flight was cancelled/suspended. For that one, they refunded me the cost of the ticket and redeposited the miles I had used for the upgrade without a fee.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
Doesn't a Skype phone call cost like 6 cents a minute or something like that?
Thanks, will give it a try. Thought Skype was no longer working with toll free numbers.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 4:54 pm

Programs: HA Platinum, UA Silver
HA is notorious for very customer unfriendly policies so I wasnʻt surprised that they are being very sneaky about their COVID-related cancellation policy.
They have marked all their flights sold out so they canʻt sell any tickets thru June 1. But they have not officially cancelled the flights so they donʻt have to refund us per US DOT policy.
It would be nice if they at least extended the use of the credit to 2022 like Delta. And to top it off they are charging a fee to redeposit miles used for upgrades is just ludicrous, but to be expected from HA.
Airlines like AA and HA that have these ridiculous policies donʻt deserve the government bailout with our tax dollars.

Iʻm not holding my breath that HA will extend elite status like DL, UA, AA, and AS.

If I didnʻt live in Hawaii I would never fly with them again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.