Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HA COVID-19 related travel waiver

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2020, 10:32 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
What a mess of an airline right now. I have tried to call in for 3 days straight for travel that occurs soon. Every time it is a busy signal of we’re sorry this call can’t be completed. There website is really outdated as well. I do not know how an airline like this can continue to operate, I called southwest and someone helped me wand it all took 4 minutes. United took 10 minutes. Will Hawaiian get their act together to help people? They are not responding at all online as well via social media. I would avoid Hawaiian right now as their is zero customer service.
JIMCHI likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 12:00 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Pi7473000
What a mess of an airline right now. I have tried to call in for 3 days straight for travel that occurs soon. Every time it is a busy signal of we’re sorry this call can’t be completed. There website is really outdated as well. I do not know how an airline like this can continue to operate, I called southwest and someone helped me wand it all took 4 minutes. United took 10 minutes. Will Hawaiian get their act together to help people? They are not responding at all online as well via social media. I would avoid Hawaiian right now as their is zero customer service.
Would love to hear azj help us understand what is happening. Why can't Hawaiian answer emails, social media, and phones?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 1:04 pm

Programs: Whatever you have, I have too.
I called HA yesterday. I was on hold for over TWO hours!!!!! I was holding award tickets for 3Apr, PHX/OGG/XCN HNL, AND 14Apr, OGG/HNL, then 15Apr, HNL/LAS, in Business class, for two people. The redeposit fees were waived as our travel met the requirements of their Covid-19 policies. Will check our accounts in a few days to be sure everything processed correctly. The agent I got was pleasant despite the current onslaught he must be experiencing at work every day right now. However, he overlooked processing two of our tickets until I reviewed everything with him and pointed out his oversight. So, if anyone has to deal with OTP RES department, my advice would be to be mindful and thorough before your call ends because any necessity to call back will require a long wait time, no doubt.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 1:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by Pi7473000
What a mess of an airline right now. ... I do not know how an airline like this can continue to operate....
In fairness to HA, they're not the only ones struggling to manage the customer service volume right now. I'm sitting on a BA ticket, booked through Amex, with three out of four segments canceled and no way to request a refund via either Amex or BA until closer to the flight dates. But you're right that other US carriers have handled this far better, and HA has been an online and telephone CS laggard for a long time. It won't be surprising if this crisis brings the end of HA as an independent carrier.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 5:15 pm
azj

Originally Posted by 747FC
Would love to hear azj help us understand what is happening. Why can't Hawaiian answer emails, social media, and phones?
No idea, but as mentioned, HA is in the same boat as every single airline. It seems rather obvious, but I'd venture a guess that volume is what is slowing things down. There are only so many resources to go around and no airline is built to handle what's happening at the moment. Patience is required across the board.

As for IT, HAL is in the middle of a complete and total IT overhaul. But it won't and can't happen overnight.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 8:40 pm

Programs: FB Silver, BA Gold; BW Diamond Select, Hilton Diamond
Has anyone actually used the HA web form to cancel their reward trip and redeposit the miles with current waiver? I have several reservations plus cash tickets so I will end up calling anyway. But I can save some call center capacity using the form for reward trips.

Thanks.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 11:37 pm

Has anyone gotten money back from a flight cancelled by HA?
Old Mar 22, 2020, 11:45 am

Programs: AS 75K
Has anyone gotten money back from a flight cancelled by HA?
I cancelled a couple days ago through Chase/Expedia since my travel was 8-14 days out and have not heard a peep. They said it could take up to 7 days. I also paid HA directly for upgraded seats and haven't seen a credit back to my card yet. I'm thinking they will use all 7 days and possibly more.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 5:22 pm

Programs: FB Silver, BA Gold; BW Diamond Select, Hilton Diamond
I think this is new language on the HA page that provides instructions for online cancellations. Seems credit will now be automatic for no shows.

"If you were unable to contact us to cancel or rebook your trip before your flight departure time, your ticket number automatically becomes credit for future travel if you do not take your scheduled flight."

https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/OnlineTicketChanges
747FC likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
I haven't seen it mentioned otherwise, but it appears HA is canceling most of its mainland-Hawaii flights effective March 30th.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:45 am

In case this is helpful to others, we had a round trip HNL-JHM (Kapalua)-HNL itinerary booked for early April. Given the new 14 day rule, we decided to cancel our trip from the mainland.

In the interim, HA has canceled all Kapalua flights. They automatically rebooked us HNL-OGG-HNL and sent no email regarding the change. I saw it on Maui Now so I checked and found out. We only fly into HNL because of the JHM flight...otherwise we would just fly to OGG and drive to the west side.

First agent said they couldn’t refund. I pressed saying they canceled the flight and I should be eligible for a refund as a result. He tried his best to get me to take a voucher, but I refused. Ultimately he agreed to issue the refund saying it would take 7-10 days to credit back to my card.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 12:22 pm

We have reservations OGG-SMF that we booked on Sept 11, 2019 for travel April 19th. That flight has been canceled. I don't clearly understand the rules for rebooking. We are happy to rebook but the only date we can use this ticket is November 7th. Their waiver rules state: Tickets purchased before March 1, 2020 with travel dates between March and May 2020: No change fees for rebooked travel that begins on or before Dec. 31, 2020. Tickets must be changed no later than Dec. 31, 2020 or one year from the original ticket purchase date (whichever is earlier). A fare difference may apply.

Do we just have to rebook by Sept 11, 2020 or do we have to travel by that date ?
Old Mar 28, 2020, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
We have reservations OGG-SMF that we booked on Sept 11, 2019 for travel April 19th. That flight has been canceled. I don't clearly understand the rules for rebooking. We are happy to rebook but the only date we can use this ticket is November 7th. Their waiver rules state: Tickets purchased before March 1, 2020 with travel dates between March and May 2020: No change fees for rebooked travel that begins on or before Dec. 31, 2020. Tickets must be changed no later than Dec. 31, 2020 or one year from the original ticket purchase date (whichever is earlier). A fare difference may apply.

Do we just have to rebook by Sept 11, 2020 or do we have to travel by that date ?
Best yo just ask for refund. You can always book later when the world has changed for the better.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 2:00 pm

Best yo just ask for refund. You can always book later when the world has changed for the better.
It's VERY unclear if they are giving refunds. Most people here seem to say "NO"
Old Mar 28, 2020, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
It's VERY unclear if they are giving refunds. Most people here seem to say "NO"
I had flight today, which was cancelled. Yesterday, I called and asked for a refund. The agent said that he processed it and I should notice it within 7 business days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.