Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Hawaiian adds mainland A321neo flights 2019-2020

Old Aug 13, 19, 8:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Hawaiian Airlines will begin service between OGG / Maui Kahului Airport and LAS / Las Vegas McCarran 4x / week with their Airbus A321neo beginning 15 Dec, 2019.

A321neo service HNL-SEA begins 7 Jan 2020, and seasonally OGG-LAX 14 Dec 2019 - 5 Jan 2020.

A321neo service HNL-SAN replaces A330-200 service 8 Jan 2020.

Hawaiian’s A321neo are configured F16, Extra Comfort Y+44 and Y129.

According to Frequent Business Traveler, A321neo First-class seats are 18” wide and have a pitch of 39”. Link
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Aug 18, 19, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
According to Frequent Business Traveler, A321neo First-class seats are 18” wide and have a pitch of 39”. Link
That's pretty narrow for a first class seat. A lot of Airbus have 18" wide in coach.
Old Sep 5, 19, 8:38 pm

And just like that HA is off my list from SAN. 30% more that AS for the same also-ran first class seat.
Old Sep 6, 19, 12:30 am

Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
First-class seats are 18” wide and have a pitch of 39”. Link
The F seats are 21": Guests Needing Additional Room

Note: It took me quite a while of searching before I found this. All of the bloggers seem to highlight seat pitch, without at all reporting seat width. HA also has chosen to hide this width by placing it in an obscure part of their website, rather than on the page devoted to seating characteristics, i.e.:
https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/our...-fleet/a321neo .

Last edited by 747FC; Sep 6, 19 at 12:34 am Reason: added info
Old Sep 8, 19, 3:21 am

Hawaiian Airlines will begin service between OGG / Maui Kahului Airport and LAS / Las Vegas McCarran 4x / week with their Airbus A321neo beginning 15 Dec, 2019.

A321neo service HNL-SEA begins 7 Jan 2020, and seasonally OGG-LAX 14 Dec 2019 - 5 Jan 2020.

A321neo service HNL-SAN replaces A330-200 service 8 Jan 2020.

Hawaiian’s A321neo are configured F16, Extra Comfort Y+44 and Y129.

Ugh. Where are those nice A330s going to be deployed now? They have attractive through F fares with Delta via SEA but I have no interest in a single aisle aircraft.
Old Sep 8, 19, 11:41 am
azj

Originally Posted by railmatt View Post

Ugh. Where are those nice A330s going to be deployed now? They have attractive through F fares with Delta via SEA but I have no interest in a single aisle aircraft.
SEA-HNL HA21 and SEA-OGG HA29 will remain 330's. The additional flight is a year round 321 service, as opposed to the seasonal 330 service each year.
LAX-HNL (all flights), LAX-OGG HA33 will remain 330's. The additional OGG flight is seasonal. LAX-LIH/KOA are year round 321's.
SFO-HNL HA11 is a 330. There will be a second daily starting in October on the 321. SFO-OGG switched to the 321 last week. All this means a net increase in SFO capacity.
LAS-HNL (all flights) are 330's. The resumption of LAS-OGG in December is on the 321.
PHX-HNL remains 330.
JFK/BOS-HNL of course remain 330.
SAN-HNL is indeed planned to go to the 321. I suspect there's more to this story however. IMO, something had to switch to the 321 to free up a plane for the 3rd daily HND flight. SAN was the next logical move. Perhaps HAL sees seasonality opportunities with the 330 in SAN in the future. I don't think this move is as cut and dry as it appears.
railmatt likes this.
Old Sep 9, 19, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA,AS,BA,WN,Hyatt,Marriott,SPG
Best F Seats on A321Neo

We have always flown AS in first class and in seats 1 D&F. Lots of leg room with no one reclining into us. Due to a huge fare difference on an upcoming trip, we will have to take HA back from OGG-SMF. SeatGuru shows why HA fare is so much less in F. HA first class pitch is 39" and width is 18". AS has 41" pitch and 21" width. But we have to flay HA as the F fare is so much lower. So, are there any good seats in F on HA? We always pick the bulkhead seats in F on AS and they are wonderful. No one is leaning back into to us and leg room is enormous. I've read negative reviews of F on HA - cramped seating in F, some metal thing on the back. We can't afford AS going on the return. Any suggestions as to which F seats to pick on the HA flight? Is the bulkhead, which we enjoy on both AS and AA, undesirable on this aircraft? Should we bring a pillow to deal with this metal bar in the back of our seat? Thanks for your opinions, especially from those who have flown both HA on this particular aircraft and AS on their 737.
Old Sep 9, 19, 7:43 pm

Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Originally Posted by JIMCHI View Post
We have always flown AS in first class and in seats 1 D&F. Lots of leg room with no one reclining into us. Due to a huge fare difference on an upcoming trip, we will have to take HA back from OGG-SMF. SeatGuru shows why HA fare is so much less in F. HA first class pitch is 39" and width is 18". AS has 41" pitch and 21" width. But we have to flay HA as the F fare is so much lower. So, are there any good seats in F on HA? We always pick the bulkhead seats in F on AS and they are wonderful. No one is leaning back into to us and leg room is enormous. I've read negative reviews of F on HA - cramped seating in F, some metal thing on the back. We can't afford AS going on the return. Any suggestions as to which F seats to pick on the HA flight? Is the bulkhead, which we enjoy on both AS and AA, undesirable on this aircraft? Should we bring a pillow to deal with this metal bar in the back of our seat? Thanks for your opinions, especially from those who have flown both HA on this particular aircraft and AS on their 737.
You might want to scroll back to post number 4. HA F seats are not 18” wide.
Old Sep 9, 19, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA,AS,BA,WN,Hyatt,Marriott,SPG
Thanks. So given that, are F bulkhead seats better or worse than other rows? And is some metal thing protruding into your back an actual problem? It almost seems like recently Boeing can't design neither a comfortable nor a safe aircraft.
Old Sep 13, 19, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG75K, accidental DL FO, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by azj View Post
SAN-HNL is indeed planned to go to the 321. I suspect there's more to this story however. IMO, something had to switch to the 321 to free up a plane for the 3rd daily HND flight. SAN was the next logical move. Perhaps HAL sees seasonality opportunities with the 330 in SAN in the future. I don't think this move is as cut and dry as it appears.
Bummer for SAN, at least for the time being... big downgauge.
Old Sep 13, 19, 10:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Probably when they added the nonstop to Maui also from San Diego the A330 was too big as they did not have as many people connecting thru Honolulu.
Old Oct 21, 19, 8:12 pm

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Sfo - OGG in April 2020 is now on the A321 with recliners in F??? Omg. Why???
I’m willing to pay $1772 RT in F but I’m not willing to pay that for A321. Im freaking out.
does UAL have a nice flight to OGG in April on a nice plane? Ugh. I’ve no idea what to do.
Old Yesterday, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by gaobest View Post
Sfo - OGG in April 2020 is now on the A321 with recliners in F??? Omg. Why???
I’m willing to pay $1772 RT in F but I’m not willing to pay that for A321. Im freaking out.
does UAL have a nice flight to OGG in April on a nice plane? Ugh. I’ve no idea what to do.
For the dates in April I checked, United has one flight on a 777-200 which should have flat beds in First. The other flights are on 737-800s which would have recliner seats similar to Hawaiian's A321neo. Another option would be to fly on a Hawaiian A330 to HNL on HA11, then take the short hop to OGG on a 717.

I expect the A321 will be the future of Hawaiian's west coast operations. With the possible exceptions of LAX-HNL and possibly SFO-HNL, I expect that we'll see more A321 flying, with the reduced capacity offset by more direct flights to outer islands and not just HNL and possibly some increased frequencies on existing routes.
Old Yesterday, 3:01 pm

Thank you - I bought UA which was 15% under HA for the current 777. Let’s hope for no change. I missed AS a few weeks back when it was like 40% cheaper albeit 737. I also believe that UA has a very high chance of delay but I can’t help it when HA is more money on a worse plane.

i am gutted about HA. I also have 29k miles each for our family of 3 - how do I save them besides that credit card which probably has AF that I prefer to avoid.
Old Yesterday, 3:02 pm

I also prefer nonstop so sadly I chose to avoid the HA connection despite knowing of the 332.
I love HA and the 332 but I can’t justify paying a lot for a connection or a “bad” plane.

Search this Thread