TYO-HNL; HNL-JFK Odd Flight Search Results

Old Jul 23, 19, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

TYO-HNL; HNL-JFK Odd Flight Search Results

I was lucky to score a JAL F award ticket for JFK-NRT. For my trip back, I am travelling TYO-HNL (7 night stay) and then HNL-JFK. Google Flights are showing business/first class flights available on Hawaiian Airlines. The flights are about $2800 booking thru Hawaiian; +$100 booking thru Expedia Japan or +$200 booking thru Orbitz.

The odd thing is that I can't get the Google price when clicking thru to Hawaiian Airlines website. Hawaiian's website shows $6800 price. Is there something odd about doing multi-city one-way international booking? I was able to book similar flights last year thru the Hawaiian website (even got codeshare operated by JAL flight) for similar $2700. Have tariffs/restrictions changed?

The Expedia Japan pricing is in JPY. Are there any issues booking thru Expedia Japan if I'm a US resident?

The Orbitz booking is in USD. I can get the itinerary when clicking thru the Google Flights link but I cannot find the same itinerary using Orbitz search function.

Apologies for the complex and very specific flight questions. Thanks for comments/suggestions.
Old Jul 24, 19, 11:01 am

Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
I find F flights HNL-JFK are often way over $3k each. Hard to imagine getting all the way from TYO-HNL-JFK (with long stopover) for less than that.

Last edited by 747FC; Jul 24, 19 at 4:32 pm Reason: Sorry, meant roundtrip, not one-way
Old Jul 24, 19, 3:17 pm

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Theses might be specially negotiated fares through Expedia Japan available to originating travelers in Japan that are not available to US travel agencies. This was extremely common in the 80's and 90's.

Search this Thread