Keeping HA miles alive for a child

Old Jan 14, 19, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP (spouse).
Keeping HA miles alive for a child

My kids each have ~ 10k HA miles. Obviously they canít get a credit card, stay at a hotel under their name, rent a car. Is the mall their only/best option (besides flying)??
Old Jan 14, 19, 11:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
You could get a credit card and transfer their miles to your account. If you don’t want to do that, shopping is best alternative I know of.
Old Jan 14, 19, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

If I transfer miles from their account to mine, does that extend the expiration for both our accounts?
Old Jan 15, 19, 8:51 am

I don’t know offhand. Point is that having the credit card lets you receive transfers from other accounts with no fee, so you can consolidate your family’s miles and use the card to keep them from expiring. That plus the signup bonus may or may not be worth the annual fee for you.

Last edited by WrightHI; Jan 15, 19 at 1:02 pm Reason: Shouldn't post before coffee
Old Jan 15, 19, 10:18 am

Every once in a while, HA has a promotion for buying miles where you get an x% more.
It came to a point where the family has not flown for a while and the miles were going to expire. So I bought miles for the kids.
Old Jan 16, 19, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Wife and I already have the cc and got the 60,000x2 bonus. I didn’t realize the transfer option only exists with the card. So sounds like the best option is to transfer all miles from kids, and say from wife to myself, and only have to keep 1 account alive (could be via shopping or travel).

Old Jan 16, 19, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by psychtobe View Post
Wife and I already have the cc and got the 60,000x2 bonus. I didnít realize the transfer option only exists with the card. So sounds like the best option is to transfer all miles from kids, and say from wife to myself, and only have to keep 1 account alive (could be via shopping or travel).

That's what I'd do. More valuable to have all miles in the same account anyway.
psychtobe likes this.
Old Jan 25, 19, 7:44 pm

Programs: HH Diamond,,B6,DL,WN
The mall is probably the cheapest and easiest way to go It counts as activity and extends expiration. If ITunes participates just buy a song for over a dollar. I have done it on Delta Skymiles shopping. If HA has iDine or the like you could sign up a credit card to your child’s account and go to dinner. You may have to write a review of the restaurant to get the miles.

Last edited by likry2000; Jan 25, 19 at 7:52 pm

Search this Thread