Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

MAIN DISCUSSION THREAD - Hawaiian Airlines Basic Economy [Discussion/Questions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 23, 2019, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
For more information on basic economy, see: https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/our-services/products-and-programs/main-cabin-basic
https://hawaiianair.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3244
Print Wikipost

MAIN DISCUSSION THREAD - Hawaiian Airlines Basic Economy [Discussion/Questions]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Alex909
so why the rush to implement this now?
These things take time to plan and will require Marketing, Revenue Mgmt, and IT resources. This is not a trivial exercise.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:46 pm
azj

OK, so this is mainly a competitive reaction to the majors. Thank you, I really appreciate the clarification.

With "problem" I was alluding to Southwest Service coming to Hawai'i. If I think competitive environment, and if the economy class service level of a given HA economy ticket at a particular route and price point ends up slipping below Southwest service level, then why wouldn't many customers looking to buy at that price point just choose SWA over HA? Just wondering if that's being really considered. Not that long ago, Southwest Airlines was considered a relatively no-frills airline, at least when compared to the other major carriers. Then all the competition started charging for checked bags, introduced heavy change fees etc,. while Southwest says it’s given “no thought whatsoever” Main Cabin Basic might simply confuse passengers when they are trying to decide between HA and Southwest. It has the potential to dilute your brand and goes against your messaging of, "we provide a meal" and "Hawai'i starts here."

The move to Basic Economy alone probably won't lead to class warfare. But consider the totality of what airlines have done to economy flyers over the last few years. Basic Economy might just be the one thing that breaks the camel's back. Just how much can the HA economy service be stripped down even further before more passengers "break" and you will see a rapid escalation of Dr. Daos and $12 blanket/"take someone behind the woodshed" situations?

Why not wait until Southwest is here and until the competitive environment between the carriers has settled? Oil prices are dropping into the 40ies again -- operating costs might be lower for a while -- so why the rush to implement this now?
Pretty much every major decision by an airline is due to competitive pressures. By NOT offering a "basic" Y cabin fare, HAL has often had to lower fares (but not anything else) to match the competition that already offers the basic fares with their restrictions. By HAL offering the Main Cabin basic option, they can lower those fares and implement the product changes as well. The onboard service doesn't seem to be changing, so there's no change in the ho'okipa, but the fare will bring restrictions on refunds, changes, seat assignments and mileage earnings. The airline industry continues to evolve into a segmented environment, by offering travelers options in products. Main Cabin basic by HAL is just another piece to the evolution in the industry. One must keep up, or get left behind.

This has been in the works for a long time, after a comprehensive study, with implementation in the 2nd half of 2019. There's nothing rushed about this and very likely was in the works before Southwest started making its intentions known.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Basic economy has been announced:

https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/our...in-cabin-basic
Old Sep 27, 2019, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat 75k, CA Phoenix Gold
With all due respect to all you experts here who disagreed, Hawaiian may need some kind of response to low cost carriers, sure, but I was still hoping for a novel, more positive move -- unlike what those almost inhumane "big three" corporate machines are doing! Now that "Basic Economy" is out and you are also watering down our elite program, can we still also hope for a return to more innovative growth strategies, ideally also more in the spirit of watching out for your customers, of Kānāwai Māmalahoe?

HAL had this wonderful golden and almost visionary growth period right after it emerged from bankrupcy, and after Aloha Air and ATA folded. I somehow don't see the company reconnecting with it now, but I am still hopeful. I really want to invest in the HA stock again, especially in the current low price oil environment and Tokyo Olympics coming up. I still hope they give us investors a better reason to do so before the whole larger business cycle turns down again, Hawaii tourism numbers wither away, and it will be too late to do so.

Last edited by Alex909; Sep 27, 2019 at 7:06 pm
Old Sep 27, 2019, 11:01 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
I really want to invest in the HA stock again, especially in the current low price oil environment and Tokyo Olympics coming up. I still hope they give us investors a better reason to do so before the whole larger business cycle turns down again, Hawaii tourism numbers wither away, and it will be too late to do so.
Compared to its high 2.5 years ago, Hawaiian Holdings is heavily discounted. But, it is still 3 X the value of its stock since Aloha Airlines fell. Hope you are not putting all your eggs in Hawaiian stock.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA exp AS mvpg HA gold
Basic is now in effect HNL to JFK. Been monitoring prices for the past couple of weeks and noticed today non-basic RT fares up about $90. Really wondering who wants to save this amount to sit wherever, forgo changes and earn no mileage - particularly on an 8 to 10 hour flight.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by zurfer
Basic is now in effect HNL to JFK. Been monitoring prices for the past couple of weeks and noticed today non-basic RT fares up about $90. Really wondering who wants to save this amount to sit wherever, forgo changes and earn no mileage - particularly on an 8 to 10 hour flight.
Hence the reason why the airline wins, being able to collect $90 from each passenger who feels the same way.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA exp AS mvpg HA gold
I can confirm Basic fares in effect HNL to San Diego (SAN). Been monitoring thanksgiving fares and Main Cabin RT increased $60 to accommodate Basic. Progress
Old Oct 8, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: TrueBlue/Hawaiian Miles
Originally Posted by zurfer
Caught this thread being updated in my email digest and was shocked to see that right after recommending BOS-HNL to a friend and saying “it’s only $690 round trip unless you want the extra legroom” and thinking that it was regular HA main cabin-I checked the website yesterday to find out that the once “regular” main cabin price of $692 BOS-HNL is now Basic Y. I tend to agree that it’s shameful on these longer haul flights.

I can completely understand offering basic Y on West Coast to Hawaii flights with the amount of airline options etc

on East coast to Hawaii flights-I don’t believe it should be an option tbh. HA’s onboard service is much better than the other East Coast options imo. I’ve flown Y and Y+ multiple times at the “regular price” that has now become “basic“ I can say honestly I was upset to see the new price for economy if I had to pay an extra $90 and not get extra legroom. Gouging people who merely want to pick a window seat or seats together is a little ridiculous. The race to the bottom continues. Unfortunate that HA would do this on long haul flights.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 12:06 pm
bec

Hawaiian Air Main Basic

I have been watching non stop flights for several months JFK to Honolulu. Just noticed that for my desired flight in June they added a new classification Main Cabin Basic for the fare I was watching. (No seat selection) They increased the fare on the main cabin category to outside what I am willing to pay. Very frustrating for those of you watching.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 3:28 pm
bec

Originally Posted by FBWFTW
Caught this thread being updated in my email digest and was shocked to see that right after recommending BOS-HNL to a friend and saying “it’s only $690 round trip unless you want the extra legroom” and thinking that it was regular HA main cabin-I checked the website yesterday to find out that the once “regular” main cabin price of $692 BOS-HNL is now Basic Y. I tend to agree that it’s shameful on these longer haul flights.

I can completely understand offering basic Y on West Coast to Hawaii flights with the amount of airline options etc

on East coast to Hawaii flights-I don’t believe it should be an option tbh. HA’s onboard service is much better than the other East Coast options imo. I’ve flown Y and Y+ multiple times at the “regular price” that has now become “basic“ I can say honestly I was upset to see the new price for economy if I had to pay an extra $90 and not get extra legroom. Gouging people who merely want to pick a window seat or seats together is a little ridiculous. The race to the bottom continues. Unfortunate that HA would do this on long haul flights.
I can attest to the exact same JKF to Hono. The same pricing I have been following for 2 months is now Basic Economy. They are scamming us, pure and simple.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 13, 2019 at 9:11 am Reason: removed image from quote
Old Oct 25, 2019, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by bec
I can attest to the exact same JKF to Hono. The same pricing I have been following for 2 months is now Basic Economy. They are scamming us, pure and simple.
I noticed the same thing. Many complained that’s United and others did this across the board but I can’t remember how far back it was that United offered sub-$400 round trips to Vegas, so in some cases at least, basic economy there involved price drops. Can’t say the same for the Hawaiian Air basic economy pricing.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 2:05 pm

Just wanted to say a quick thanks because I found this thread to be informative and helpful. We're planning a trip to Hawaii next summer and I've started diving into the quagmire of airfare options from our home airport (PHX). 9-10 yr ago, we flew to Hawaii on Hawaiian Airlines and they were great. The service was very good. Flights were expensive but a fair price at the time.

But now? Good Lord. Hawaiian, United, Alaska, American, etc...they all have this same stupid Basic Economy option as their lowest fare. There are so many restrictions. So many restrictions that although those fares are very attractive financially, it's totally not worth it.

So instead, we're going to fly on Southwest. No flight change fees of $75 or more a piece (Hawaiian's is $300!). No cancellation penalties or fees. No baggage fees. With a Basic Economy fare, my family wouldn't be able to sit together anyway. At least on Southwest, we'll have a fighting chance. And if I find a cheaper fare with Southwest after we book? They'll apply the difference to my account, so you basically get money back.

I can save probably $1700 total for the 4 of us by flying Southwest instead of Hawaiian Airlines.
747FC likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 11:11 am
bec

Originally Posted by flyer357
Just wanted to say a quick thanks because I found this thread to be informative and helpful. We're planning a trip to Hawaii next summer and I've started diving into the quagmire of airfare options from our home airport (PHX). 9-10 yr ago, we flew to Hawaii on Hawaiian Airlines and they were great. The service was very good. Flights were expensive but a fair price at the time.

But now? Good Lord. Hawaiian, United, Alaska, American, etc...they all have this same stupid Basic Economy option as their lowest fare. There are so many restrictions. So many restrictions that although those fares are very attractive financially, it's totally not worth it.

So instead, we're going to fly on Southwest. No flight change fees of $75 or more a piece (Hawaiian's is $300!). No cancellation penalties or fees. No baggage fees. With a Basic Economy fare, my family wouldn't be able to sit together anyway. At least on Southwest, we'll have a fighting chance. And if I find a cheaper fare with Southwest after we book? They'll apply the difference to my account, so you basically get money back.

I can save probably $1700 total for the 4 of us by flying Southwest instead of Hawaiian Airlines.
Just curious how you arranged the 2 legs to the Southwest flight? I did look at it and couldn't seem to get a decent connection within the same day
Old Nov 15, 2019, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by bec
Just curious how you arranged the 2 legs to the Southwest flight? I did look at it and couldn't seem to get a decent connection within the same day
You could do a search by selecting the multi-city option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.