FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hawaii-Based Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-based-airlines-447/)
-   -   Mokulele Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-based-airlines/1944882-mokulele-airlines.html)

iahphx Dec 9, 2018 3:41 pm

Mokulele Airlines

So I need to travel from Maui to Molokai. I know the ferry is gone, so I'll need to fly. I see that the local airline flying the route is Mokulele. I know they fly small planes, but their schedule is convenient and the alternative to their 30 minute nonstop would be a 3 hour connecting flight through HNL. Their fares seem reasonable ($67 for this route), but when I go to their website it seems like every bag costs 20 bucks. Is that true? No free bag allowance?

Has anyone flown Mokulele? They get good reviews on Tripadvisor. Many years ago, I flew this route and I remember leaving from a separate TSA-less terminal, which seems to still be the case. Sounds convenient (except, perhaps, with the luggage issue).

747FC Dec 9, 2018 3:53 pm

I've never flown Mokulele, so can't help you there, but since you reposted within a two-minute time span, I think you best go for the 30-min trip rather than the 3-hour one. :);)

iahphx Dec 9, 2018 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC (Post 30516654)
I've never flown Mokulele, so can't help you there, but since you reposted within a two-minute time span, I think you best go for the 30-min trip rather than the 3-hour one. :);)

Ha! I think I went back to edit a missing word and I guess it reposted. Maybe a user error? I must not be familiar enough with the "edit" feature in the new format. Heck, I can't even figure out how to easily search a thread (a useful feature in some threads that run dozens and dozens of pages!

msp3 Dec 10, 2018 10:10 pm

Mokulele is fine. And you'll get absolutely stunning views flying over Molokai. The only thing that really bothers me is the over the shoulder seat belts are very uncomfortable and really dig into you...

spamman808 Dec 12, 2018 11:56 pm

I haven't flown Mokulele to Molokai, but I've taken them to the Big Island, and the views are killer. When my brother was living in Kona I was flying them pretty regularly, and the experience was always great. No need for Precheck either!

Definitely worth the time and money saved.

iahphx Dec 13, 2018 8:22 pm

Thanks. You all have confirmed what else I've read on the web about Mokulele. People seem to like flying them.

Can anyone shed light on the luggage situation? My family and I travel light, but we're going to have SOME luggage on a trip to Hawaii. Like everyone will have a rollerboard and probably the proverbial small "personal item." Is any luggage included with the ticket? I found their website language confusing. I guess I can call them if nobody knows.

Arthurrs Dec 16, 2018 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 30533414)
Thanks. You all have confirmed what else I've read on the web about Mokulele. People seem to like flying them.

Can anyone shed light on the luggage situation? My family and I travel light, but we're going to have SOME luggage on a trip to Hawaii. Like everyone will have a rollerboard and probably the proverbial small "personal item." Is any luggage included with the ticket? I found their website language confusing. I guess I can call them if nobody knows.

I've flown several times with Mokulele, I absolutely love the small planes, and the views are fantastic, and the best thing is not having to wait in line for security screening, you walk on the tarmac and climb into the plane!

The only downside is that yes, you need to pay extra for each and every checked bag. Their carryon policy is very restrictive for good reason, they use small planes, and the space in the cabin is very limited. If it's a rollaboard, definitely count on checking it and paying a bag fee. A briefcase, camera bag, purse, etc can be brought on board as a carryon at no charge. The fees are not that expensive considering ticket price if you book well enough in advance.

On our recent 3 island trip to Hawaii last August, our last leg was from Kona to Kahului, on Mokulele. It was the first time my two grown up university kids experienced a flight on such a plane, and they loved the experience. It was a highlight to them to see the view, and they liked it a lot better than the two previous inter island flights on the big jets. Every seat is a window seat.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...0974f4d7d9.jpg
Yes, you see the cockpit from your seat!!

UAPremierExec Dec 19, 2018 12:59 am

Every airline in Hawai'i (well, the ones that remain) all charge for bags. I was going to fly Mokulele next Saturday, but they don't have their regular 8pm Kona - Maui flight :( So I'm gonna cough up $189 for Hawaiian First *just* to avoid paying $160 + 2 bag fees.

iahphx Dec 19, 2018 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec (Post 30551854)
Every airline in Hawai'i (well, the ones that remain) all charge for bags. I was going to fly Mokulele next Saturday, but they don't have their regular 8pm Kona - Maui flight :( So I'm gonna cough up $189 for Hawaiian First *just* to avoid paying $160 + 2 bag fees.

Yeah, but we just travel with carry-on rollerboards and personal items, which are free on HA. And I don't really "pay" for my HA flights, I redeem miles or credit card points for them. If I have to pay Mokulele out-of-pocket for a rollerboard, that's costing me real money -- and obviously makes their service a little less attractive to me. That said, I still MIGHT fly them for the faster service, but the luggage fee is definitely a consideration.

donotblink Dec 20, 2018 8:20 pm

I flew them today. If your carry on and personal item are under 15 lbs, they check them for free, if not it's $20 to check it (it gets checked for free if it's under 15lbs but too big for the cabin). I had a good experience flying them and would fly them again given the opportunity.

iahphx Dec 20, 2018 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink (Post 30559641)
I flew them today. If your carry on and personal item are under 15 lbs, they check them for free, if not it's $20 to check it (it gets checked for free if it's under 15lbs but too big for the cabin). I had a good experience flying them and would fly them again given the opportunity.

Thanks. I had a Molokai resident recommend that I also look at Makani Kai airlines. They seem to be a similar operation, but smaller, to Mokulele. Makani Kai also seems to have a good reputation. I'll have to look further into their luggage restrictions.

UAPremierExec Dec 23, 2018 5:06 pm

Makani Kai flies only single pilot and are the ones who had the crash of Kalaupapa, killing the Director of Health & Human Services in Hawai'i because the pilot gave her the wrong sized life vest (infant).

They do have only single-fares and aren't on the same page as Mokulele.

Fwiw, I ended up buying on Mokulele. My time with friends is more valuable, so no TSA, easy parking, and easy off justify the $126 fare + bag fees versus taking Hawaiian.

iahphx Jan 3, 2019 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec (Post 30568629)
Makani Kai flies only single pilot and are the ones who had the crash of Kalaupapa, killing the Director of Health & Human Services in Hawai'i because the pilot gave her the wrong sized life vest (infant).

They do have only single-fares and aren't on the same page as Mokulele.

Fwiw, I ended up buying on Mokulele. My time with friends is more valuable, so no TSA, easy parking, and easy off justify the $126 fare + bag fees versus taking Hawaiian.

Hmmm, I guess this is why Mokulele advertises that they always fly with two pilots! Honestly, I feel a little better about that, too.

Cholula Jan 3, 2019 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 30605905)
Hmmm, I guess this is why Mokulele advertises that they always fly with two pilots! Honestly, I feel a little better about that, too.

Agreed 100%

iahphx Jan 3, 2019 8:37 pm

So I did some more research regarding Mokulele baggage rules. You do get a free "regular sized" rollerboard (22x14x9), but it can only weigh 15 pounds. You also get a free "personal item," which seems to be an unpublished benefit. If you need more luggage, the first bag up to 50 lbs costs $20. The free rollerboards don't actually travel in the cabin (much like on a small commuter aircraft).

This seems reasonable -- except perhaps the weight limit on the rollerboard. Does anyone know if they actually use a scale, or if there's any "wiggle room"? I ask because I know from experience that my carry-on can easily weigh a couple pounds over 15.

If I needed more weight, it would obviously make sense for my family to travel with one of those big suitcases that infrequent travellers often haul around. We could consolidate our belongings and check a single large bag for 20 bucks (50 lbs). But we're coming from the mainland and don't really want that hassle: we'd just rather travel with our regular carry-on luggage. That's why I'm hoping that 15 lb limit isn't rigorously enforced.