Mokulele Airlines

Old Jan 4, 19, 7:15 am

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
The few times I checked in with Mokulele, they weighed ALL my checked bags. Yes, it would make perfect sense to have one big, "heavier" bag to pay for a checked bag, so that your rollerboards can stay under the 15 lb weight limit. I will have to remember that for the next time!
Old Jan 6, 19, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Arthurrs View Post
The few times I checked in with Mokulele, they weighed ALL my checked bags. Yes, it would make perfect sense to have one big, "heavier" bag to pay for a checked bag, so that your rollerboards can stay under the 15 lb weight limit. I will have to remember that for the next time!
Yeah, most airlines weigh your checked bags, but did they weigh your carry-on, too? I kind of think they would, given the size of the aircraft they're flying!

As I said, it's a shame because I'd be happy to give them a single, really large (but under 50 lb) big bag to check for $20, but it would be a PITA getting that bag TO Hawaii. It means I'd have to check the bag from the mainland, and I even have an overnight in California on my way to Hawaii (so I'd have to check it twice). I kind of need a system to lash two rollerboards together (to make one big bag for Mokulele). Is there any silly luggage-security wrapping booth at OGG, and would that work? Otherwise, I guess I'll either have to "overpay" for a few pounds of excess luggage or travel very, very light!
Old Jan 6, 19, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
Is there any silly luggage-security wrapping booth at OGG, and would that work?

I've never seen one in my dozens of times through the airport.
Old Jan 6, 19, 4:03 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
Yeah, most airlines weigh your checked bags, but did they weigh your carry-on, too? I kind of think they would, given the size of the aircraft they're flying!

As I said, it's a shame because I'd be happy to give them a single, really large (but under 50 lb) big bag to check for $20, but it would be a PITA getting that bag TO Hawaii. It means I'd have to check the bag from the mainland, and I even have an overnight in California on my way to Hawaii (so I'd have to check it twice). I kind of need a system to lash two rollerboards together (to make one big bag for Mokulele). Is there any silly luggage-security wrapping booth at OGG, and would that work? Otherwise, I guess I'll either have to "overpay" for a few pounds of excess luggage or travel very, very light!
Find yourself a cloth or vinyl duffel bag that can be easily collapsed/folded to carry to your next trip to make for your "heavy" bag. I usually travel very light with just one carryon heading to Hawaii, then go to the local walmart or target and purchase a large duffle bag for my return home, filled with souvenirs, coffee beans, macadamia nuts, and laundry. I usually find them for about $15-40. You can pack them pretty full, I think the last time I had about 40-45 lbs of stuff in one!!!
Old Jan 6, 19, 5:55 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Some good advice here on the luggage aspect. At 10 days, this will be my longest and first multi-island trip so I am expecting some luggage.

How good is Mokulele's reliability? I am planning MKK-OGG and OGG--> mainland on the same day. OGG outbound to mainland is at 9:30pm. This leaves me with 2 options.... arrive into OGG at 5:30pm, have little more breathing room and spent 4hrs at airport. Next one is arriving in at 7:30pm.

I will have to collect luggage from the MKK-OGG flight before I can re-check it for the mainland flight. I am kind of leaning towards the earlier flight to be safe but I don't have much experience with these island hopper airlines. Would appreciate any thoughts/suggestions.
Old Jan 6, 19, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by carsnoceans View Post
How good is Mokulele's reliability? I am planning MKK-OGG and OGG--> mainland on the same day. OGG outbound to mainland is at 9:30pm. This leaves me with 2 options.... arrive into OGG at 5:30pm, have little more breathing room and spent 4hrs at airport. Next one is arriving in at 7:30pm.

I will have to collect luggage from the MKK-OGG flight before I can re-check it for the mainland flight. I am kind of leaning towards the earlier flight to be safe but I don't have much experience with these island hopper airlines. Would appreciate any thoughts/suggestions.
Mokulele is pretty reliable, but using smaller planes they are more susceptible to inclement weather, though they kept pretty much to schedule during Hurricane Lane. On my recent trip last August, we were on the Big Island, but had a late night return flight home from OGG, so we took an earlier Mokulele flight KOA-OGG so we could enjoy the views, and then rented a car for a couple hours to go out for dinner locally (kept our luggage in the trunk). The car rental buses are right next door to the commuter terminal where Mokulele flies at OGG. You probably will get bored after an hour of shopping at the stores in the terminal at OGG.
spamman808 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 19, 1:16 am

Leaving on the earlier flight might be a good idea then. Gives me some buffer time and more daylight to enjoy the views.

Rental for couple of hours will not be the cheapest deal since I am there in peak season. How is the uber scene in Maui?
Old Jan 7, 19, 7:09 am

Leaving on the earlier flight might be a good idea then. Gives me some buffer time and more daylight to enjoy the views.

Rental for couple of hours will not be the cheapest deal since I am there in peak season. How is the uber scene in Maui?
No, it wasn't cheap, nothing is cheap in Hawaii!! This is the service I used, usually got me a cheaper rate:
https://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

I have no idea about uber, I got into OGG a couple hours before the ticket counter for my airline opened, the thought of lugging around luggage to the restaurant did not appeal to me, hence the rental car.
Old Jan 7, 19, 11:06 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
There's UBER in Maui, but what I don't know is how reliable the drivers are. They like to ask you where you are going prior to pick-up (against the rules).

Moku is pretty reliable, +/- 15 minutes. You can also book them in conjunction with Alaska Airlines.
Old Mar 17, 19, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec View Post
There's UBER in Maui, but what I don't know is how reliable the drivers are. They like to ask you where you are going prior to pick-up (against the rules).

Moku is pretty reliable, +/- 15 minutes. You can also book them in conjunction with Alaska Airlines.
I could be wrong---but on Big Island Uber is not allowed to Pick up/ drop off at the airport. So if you request an Uber pickup they will ask if you are going to airport. They will not accept the ride if you say yes,

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 18, 19 at 3:53 am Reason: repaired broken quote
Old Mar 18, 19, 12:41 pm

Datapoint - Flew Mokulele OGG-MKK-OGG. Seamless and refreshing experience. Strongly recommend that people fly in the day and enjoy some beautiful views from these single-prop planes.
Old Jun 16, 22, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold
How is the commuter terminal at OGG? Do you check bags before you get to the aircraft? We want to pick up some wine during a layover at OGG but that won't work if we have to go through a TSA checkpoint.

The 15lb limit is quite problematic for me, I think my "carry-on" backpack often weighs more than that. But I don't begrudge them the checked bag fee as the fares are pretty low and all these small planes have weight limits.
Old Jun 18, 22, 6:38 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
How is the commuter terminal at OGG? Do you check bags before you get to the aircraft? We want to pick up some wine during a layover at OGG but that won't work if we have to go through a TSA checkpoint.

The 15lb limit is quite problematic for me, I think my "carry-on" backpack often weighs more than that. But I don't begrudge them the checked bag fee as the fares are pretty low and all these small planes have weight limits.
Commuter terminal is very small. Remember it's all landside (no TSA). You just drop off your bags at the gate. In practice, anything under 15lbs is free to check in. They don't always weigh the carry-on.. but I've had way more than 15lbs in my carry on on many occasions.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jun 22, 22, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold
Datapoint - Flew Mokulele OGG-MKK-OGG. Seamless and refreshing experience. Strongly recommend that people fly in the day and enjoy some beautiful views from these single-prop planes.
Ditto. We just flew OGG-HNM and the views were incredible. Mrs B does not like small planes but the experience was so good she said she will never drive the road to Hana again. At $45 one-way maybe cheaper than gas there days LOL (+$30 to check a rollaboard). This is how air travel should be, similar to the JSX experience. And yes, no hassle over a carryon that exceeded 15 lbs. (compare to the nonsense we see from LH and TAP)

Keep in mind flights depart from the commuter terminal (no TSA!) and there are no restaurants landside at OGG (except a Starbucks in baggage claim sans seating). So you may wish to stay airside if have a long layover (though perhaps not in the mediocre Lounge).

Search this Thread