FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hawaii-Based Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-based-airlines-447/)
-   -   How can I check for First Saver upgrade space on HA? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-based-airlines/1944673-how-can-i-check-first-saver-upgrade-space-ha.html)

infamousdx Dec 8, 18 10:48 am

How can I check for First Saver upgrade space on HA?

I have JFK-HNL booked in coach but looking to upgrade using points. I've checked in the past by calling but wondering if there is an easier option that I can check daily (or automate). Expert Flyer? Should I just search for First Saver award space on HA.com? Thank you in advance.

2BGO Dec 8, 18 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by infamousdx (Post 30512778)
I have JFK-HNL booked in coach but looking to upgrade using points. I've checked in the past by calling but wondering if there is an easier option that I can check daily (or automate). Expert Flyer? Should I just search for First Saver award space on HA.com? Thank you in advance.

That is a tough route for upgrade space .... You can set an alert in Expert Flyer for P (Flex Award Space) and A (indicator that Saver space might be available) as well as setting seat alerts for # F seats. Then check the Hawaiian Website for availability.

You will have to call Hawaiian to process the upgrade ... cannot do it online.

nycflyer17 Apr 8, 19 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by 2BGO (Post 30513391)
That is a tough route for upgrade space .... You can set an alert in Expert Flyer for P (Flex Award Space) and A (indicator that Saver space might be available) as well as setting seat alerts for # F seats. Then check the Hawaiian Website for availability.

You will have to call Hawaiian to process the upgrade ... cannot do it online.

Sorry to revive this thread months later, but I had a similar question. I'm looking to fly in J on this route, one way, from HNL to JFK. It looks like I can't expect any saver availability on my dates (though I'll keep checking), but $400 one way + 50,000 Hawaiian miles (non-saver upgrade rate, according to the site), still seems like not a terrible option. Am I missing anything, or is it as simple as that? As long as there is room in Business, you can pay 50,000 miles to upgrade from coach on this route?

infamousdx Apr 8, 19 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by smoaky (Post 30979754)
Sorry to revive this thread months later, but I had a similar question. I'm looking to fly in J on this route, one way, from HNL to JFK. It looks like I can't expect any saver availability on my dates (though I'll keep checking), but $400 one way + 50,000 Hawaiian miles (non-saver upgrade rate, according to the site), still seems like not a terrible option. Am I missing anything, or is it as simple as that? As long as there is room in Business, you can pay 50,000 miles to upgrade from coach on this route?

Yes that can work, pending space available. I've done that before.

nycflyer17 Apr 8, 19 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by infamousdx (Post 30979978)
Yes that can work, pending space available. I've done that before.

Thanks. Are there different fare classes withing HA J I should be worried about? Or it's all one bucket, presumably accessible for 50k upgrades.

Thunderroad May 18, 19 1:20 pm

I'll revive this thread as well. I could well be mistaken, but I thought there used to be a "cash plus points" option at the site, for first class mainland-Hawaii seats. Now I just see miles or cash.

In any event, do I have this right: If for West Coast-Hawaii the mileage cost is 40K one-way for first class, then the upgrade from economy is available for 25K. And if the mileage cost is 80K, the upgrade is 50K. Is that correct?

Thanks for any help with this.

philemer May 18, 19 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by smoaky (Post 30980123)
Thanks. Are there different fare classes withing HA J I should be worried about? Or it's all one bucket, presumably accessible for 50k upgrades.

Originally Posted by Thunderroad (Post 31114684)
I'll revive this thread as well. I could well be mistaken, but I thought there used to be a "cash plus points" option at the site, for first class mainland-Hawaii seats. Now I just see miles or cash.

In any event, do I have this right: If for West Coast-Hawaii the mileage cost is 40K one-way for first class, then the upgrade from economy is available for 25K. And if the mileage cost is 80K, the upgrade is 50K. Is that correct?

Thanks for any help with this.

Any experts available to answer these questions?

platbrownguy Oct 3, 19 8:33 am

Originally Posted by philemer (Post 31114745)
Any experts available to answer these questions?

By no means an expert, but I just managed to book two seats on JFK-HNL for $295 each, called HA to ensure I could upgrade them for 50k HA miles each, then transferred 80k Amex (which posted instantly as 100k with the current 25% bonus), and completed the upgrade over the phone. ExpertFlyer's "P" availability seems to correspond with 50k mileage upgrade availability.

$295 + 40k MR for a lie-flat nonstop JFK-HNL at Thanksgiving seems like the deal of the month to me. ^