Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Hawaiian Airlines nonstop HNL-BOS starts April 2019

Hawaiian Airlines nonstop HNL-BOS starts April 2019

Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Its made CNN to boot.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/h...ght/index.html
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Well, there's these funny places called Japan, China, Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Korea, and Polynesia which some folks like to travel to and do want a break.

BOS-Asia is a big market, not everywhere has nonstop service and many people are quite happy to have a break somewhere nice enroute.

It's not always about O&D.
I would submit that there will be near zero onward traffic from BOS to Asia on HA. Somewhat surprisingly, there is now BOS-North Asia nonstop polar service that saves a ton of time. A HNL stop is very inefficient for most popular Asian routes from BOS. Australia would make more sense, but I'm not even sure the BOS flight matches up with that service. In any event, there are a ton of other ways to get to Australia from BOS for the relatively few daily passengers on those routes.

BTW, if it is true that their JFK route isn't very profitable, I'm amazed that they'd launch BOS service. You'd figure JFK would be a much, much better market for that service.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:36 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by iahphx
Franky, I'm amazed by this launch. I've lived in the Northeast. Very few people from this region regularly vacation in Hawaii. It's a really long, expensive and uncomfortable domestic flight (or two). When I tell people I routinely take 12 hour flights and it doesn't kill me, they seem surprised. So it's a trip you save for a special occasion, like a honeymoon. Easterners have much easier warm-weather destinations to go to: like Florida and the Caribbean.

I assume that's why there is so little East Coast nonstop service to Hawaii. United has a EWR flight and Delta has an ATL flight. Hawaiian has operated the JFK flight, I assume, because there are just so many people in NYC and they can get a little connecting traffic from JetBlue. I don't see this math working from Boston.
YMMV. Every time I've went to a hotel in the Caribbean, I was disappointed. My ex-wife and I regularly went to Hawaii. Maybe I'm being an ugly American, but it's about the service. (I live just outside of Boston.)
FBWFTW likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
You can book using miles now. Snagged 11A&B for the April 5th BOS-HNL inaugural flight using 20k miles. Returning Tuesday on United HNL-EWR-BOS in E+ so I can compare/contrast.

Looks like 130k is the going rate for first class, I didn't see any saver availability.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
How does HA treat such a flight? Is it comparable to international standards? Amenity kits in C. Upgraded meals, etc?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stc
YMMV. Every time I've went to a hotel in the Caribbean, I was disappointed. My ex-wife and I regularly went to Hawaii. Maybe I'm being an ugly American, but it's about the service. (I live just outside of Boston.)
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the Caribbean either. Maybe more Bostonians SHOULD vacation in Hawaii. I'm just being realistic. It's just too far and too expensive for most vacationers.

BTW, I visit Hawaii all the time. I'm quite fond of it. But I'm getting concerned by the prices on some of the islands. Like try to book a hotel on Maui. You might decide to go to Florida instead.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Well, there's these funny places called Japan, China, Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Korea, and Polynesia which some folks like to travel to and do want a break.

BOS-Asia is a big market, not everywhere has nonstop service and many people are quite happy to have a break somewhere nice enroute.
Tahiti, Australia, and New Zealand are the only routes that actually provide a reasonable break.

You don't save a heck of lot to Asia - While Hawaii is west of the US, and looks on a map to be much closer to Asia, the fact is that it is also so far south negates a lot of that time savings.

You can fly nonstop BOS-TYO in 13h 50m - flight time HNL-TYO is still 8h 30m, so you'd be flying 11 hours to Hawaii - and still have a long flight ahead of you to get to Tokyo.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Tahiti, Australia, and New Zealand are the only routes that actually provide a reasonable break.

You don't save a heck of lot to Asia - While Hawaii is west of the US, and looks on a map to be much closer to Asia, the fact is that it is also so far south negates a lot of that time savings.

You can fly nonstop BOS-TYO in 13h 50m - flight time HNL-TYO is still 8h 30m, so you'd be flying 11 hours to Hawaii - and still have a long flight ahead of you to get to Tokyo.
Yeah, it you're in Boston and need to go to North Asia, you're loving this new-fangled polar thing!
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: TrueBlue/Hawaiian Miles
Originally Posted by stc
+1 and then some-as a Bostonian who’s done the trek to HNL 4 times recently (via JFK 3x and EWR once) I’m more than pumped for this flight! I just wish it would’ve started a bit earlier in the winter when I’m desperate to get out of the cold for a bit. Sure there’s the Caribbean as mentioned above, and my wife has family in the PBI area who we usually go see in Jan/Feb... BUT Hawaii is so much better in our opinion (of course more expensive yes but paradise nevertheless)

We’ve been watching and waiting for this flight for a few years now and plan to do it in the following winter if it’s successful.

Now instead of waking up at 4am or earlier for the first flight down to JFK, we can sleep in til 6/7 (we live ~7 min from Logan) and still be in Waikiki for sunset with a drink in our hands. I read a while back (on here or another aviation type site iirc) that there’s a large Polynesian community/diaspora in the Greater Boston area so that may have played a role. Certainly wish this route the very best and I hope they keep the A332 on it cause unless they do proper W or more upgraded EC on the 78’s, they’ll be more painful down the back. Aloha and good luck to Hawaiian on this route!
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow! What a nice surprise! Isn’t first-ever nonstop from Boston to Honolulu? I hope this flight will be so successful. I remember Delta who have a multiple stops from BOS-ATL-LAX-HNL by operating L1011.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
As a student in BOS back in the late 80's, I would have welcomed a nonstop to HNL (as my family vacations in Hawaii every Christmas). Instead, I had to endure a connection in ORD, LAX, or SFO. It took forever to get there with the inevitable delay and the only entertainment was a movie on the overhead screen and the looped music (or you could bring a book). It was torture back in the day.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by formeraa
It took forever to get there with the inevitable delay and the only entertainment was a movie on the overhead screen and the looped music (or you could bring a book). It was torture back in the day.
Same for west coast kids going to Europe via ATL or JFK. I still have bits of a Bill Cosby routine memorized from hearing it several times on a single flight on Delta's comedy channel.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Franky, I'm amazed by this launch. I've lived in the Northeast. Very few people from this region regularly vacation in Hawaii. It's a really long, expensive and uncomfortable domestic flight (or two). When I tell people I routinely take 12 hour flights and it doesn't kill me, they seem surprised. So it's a trip you save for a special occasion, like a honeymoon. Easterners have much easier warm-weather destinations to go to: like Florida and the Caribbean.

I assume that's why there is so little East Coast nonstop service to Hawaii. United has a EWR flight and Delta has an ATL flight. Hawaiian has operated the JFK flight, I assume, because there are just so many people in NYC and they can get a little connecting traffic from JetBlue. I don't see this math working from Boston.
Quoting Forbes article:

"Boston is the largest U.S. travel market that currently does not receive non-stop service to Hawaii, and it is estimated that nearly 500 people fly between eastern New England and the islands of Hawaii most days. The airline said that travel between Boston Logan International Airport and Honolulu’s Daniel K. Inouye International Airport generated around $76 million in ticket sales last year."
“The greater Boston market currently brings some 60,000 visitors to the island each year..."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericros.../#53f30dcb4ffc
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOSOGG
Quoting Forbes article:

"Boston is the largest U.S. travel market that currently does not receive non-stop service to Hawaii, and it is estimated that nearly 500 people fly between eastern New England and the islands of Hawaii most days. The airline said that travel between Boston Logan International Airport and Honolulu’s Daniel K. Inouye International Airport generated around $76 million in ticket sales last year."
“The greater Boston market currently brings some 60,000 visitors to the island each year..."

I guess that's why BOS was picked. But those pax numbers do not seem great enough to support a BOS-HNL leisure route (a business route where you could sell expensive premium cabin seats might be a different story). Remember, unless you're going to HNL, this flight is unlikely to save you any travel time.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Originally Posted by BOSOGG
Quoting Forbes article:

I guess that's why BOS was picked. But those pax numbers do not seem great enough to support a BOS-HNL leisure route (a business route where you could sell expensive premium cabin seats might be a different story). Remember, unless you're going to HNL, this flight is unlikely to save you any travel time.
I really want this to work, but....
When you analyze the numbers in the quoted Forbes article, they seem contradictory:
60,000 visitors per year from greater Boston = 164 visitors per day.
500 visitors per day from “eastern New England”.
Where, in “eastern New England”, not including greater Boston, are they getting the remaining 336 visitors per day from?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.