No Taiwan country code HA

Old Sep 5, 18, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA HA HKE CS ANA
No Taiwan country code HA

I am a long time Hawaii resident but recently living and working in Taiwan. I have an HA flight booked for October 2018 and wanted to add my Taiwan phone number to my profile.
There is no longer an option in the pull down menu for country code 886 ( Taiwan- Republic of China ) only 86 ( PRC - Peoples Republic of China ) . when I requested an explanation from HA online
customer service - the reply was ......"We have updated your phone number to 886-1-552-xxx-2504". HA took an old - but still used, phone number - actually one from PRC, and added an additional 8. This is completely bogus and not even close to my Taiwan number. (886 905 xxx xxx)

When I pointed this out to them the response was "Kindly be advised that at this time, we are unable to add accounts or phone numbers from Taiwan as it is not available on our website.”

Yes, I know …that’s why I contacted HA customer service… all country codes are listed in the pull down menu for contact info but NOT Taiwan. So HA can just remove an entire country? Last time I visited HA website ( earlier this year - around January) ..Taiwan country code was an option, now it’s gone. I just don't get how they can do this and still keep integrity, seems to me they have caved in totally to what I think are ridiculous demands from PRC. Anyone else have thoughts on this?
Old Sep 5, 18, 5:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
This is a microcosm of the larger China-Taiwan issue and how it relates to air travel.
There are myriad threads across FT on the impact (or non-impact) on respective carriers ... here is one Chinese government plans to punish United for not listing Taiwan as "Taiwan, China"
Old Sep 6, 18, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA HA HKE CS ANA
Thank you for your response, however my posting is in regards to a specific carrier, Hawaiian Airlines, and the fact that the Taiwan country code in the pull down menu for contact info, was removed. How various carriers and PRC chose to deal with Hong Kong and Macau is not a concern. I don't think Hong Kong and Macau are countries but I believe Taiwan is. Hawaii is unique in that it is a true melting pot and If all people with Chinese ancestry in Hawaii (including the Chinese-Hawaiians) are included, they form about 1/3 of Hawaii's entire population. My intent is to get feedback - what is the take of Hawaii residents on this? If there is no interest, well so be it.
Old Sep 6, 18, 11:26 am

I have no doubt that this is directly related to China's recent hissyfit regarding airlines that list Taiwan as a separate country instead of as part of China. However this is probably a case of HA's web developers being overzealous in their removal of Taiwan references from their web site to make PRC happy, since they still list +853 MAC and +852 HKG as options but not +886 for Taiwan. Even China gets mad if they call it +886 TWN, they should at least put +886 (either with no country code or the incorrect CHN) in order to allow Taiwanese phone numbers.
code808 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 18, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K3MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by code808 View Post
My intent is to get feedback - what is the take of Hawaii residents on this? If there is no interest, well so be it.
I doubt 99.9% of the residents of Hawaii even know this is an issue or would care. Probably the same number of people didn't even know about the airlines recent issues between the PRC and Taiwan.

Search this Thread