Best time to book HA award travel

Old Aug 14, 18, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ha, aa, jet blue, ua
Cool Best time to book HA award travel

I'm trying to use my HA miles to book flights for a trip from JFK to Hawaii for summer of '19. Dates are semi flexible - I would like to travel somewhere between mid July - mid August for a total of 2 weeks.

Between my husband and I we have about 160k miles total.

i'm a bit confused about when to try to find award travel on Hawaiian Air. Some of the latest dates available for booking (july 10, 2019 currently is the last day) are only showing the 110k round trip awards. Some earlier dates in April/May or even Feb, and nov '18 look like they have awards for around 72 k round trip.

Am I looking too early and should I search in a few months? Any techniques you'd recommend? should i wait? should i book the 110k round trip flight and call it a day?

Thank you in advance

Last edited by emilybh; Aug 14, 18 at 9:47 pm
Old Aug 17, 18, 11:43 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

As one who flies this route, usually in F, the only thing I can say is that the number of miles required on a given date & class seems to correlate to the fare bucket availability and not the time to departure. The more seats available at the lowest fare basis the more likely the "saver" award level will be available as opposed to the higher mileage requirements. The exception I have noted is in First that always seems to be 80K miles each way.

One thing I would suggest is that when you initially search for awards and paid fares, do it for just one passenger, not two. If there is only one "saver" award available and you search for two it will not show one saver, one higher. It will just show two of the higher mileage awards. If this is the case, make one res at the "saver" award level and a second at the higher. Or, do the opposite and buy the cheap fare if available and use the mileage for higher award if there is only one cheap fare seat available, or the opposite. Check both mileage and paid fares for both one and two passengers and come up with the best overall value and use of miles. Good luck!
Old Aug 23, 18, 1:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist
My brother just got a job in Hawaii and in his excitement got the Hawaiian Airlines credit card. He now has 50k points and was hoping to use it on a one way in first but his initial check didnít look very promising. Does he have no chance getting that Lie flat from the east coast with that 50k?
Old Aug 23, 18, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by layoverdan View Post
My brother just got a job in Hawaii and in his excitement got the Hawaiian Airlines credit card. He now has 50k points and was hoping to use it on a one way in first but his initial check didnít look very promising. Does he have no chance getting that Lie flat from the east coast with that 50k?
My experience is "no". Before the lie-flats I used to be able to snag FC between JFK/HNL one-way for 40K - sometimes. Now, I have been seeing nothing but 80K. One other thing to consider: You can transfer at no charge and mile-for-mile between two HA credit card holders any amount of miles. So, if your brother has a spouse, significant other, friend, etc., have them also open an HA credit card and Hawaiian Miles account. Once their miles get posted they can then transfer the required miles from one to the other to get at least a one-way tix in FC or maybe a r/t in coach.
Old Apr 8, 19, 5:19 pm
formerly smoaky

Originally Posted by inlanikai View Post
My experience is "no". Before the lie-flats I used to be able to snag FC between JFK/HNL one-way for 40K - sometimes. Now, I have been seeing nothing but 80K. One other thing to consider: You can transfer at no charge and mile-for-mile between two HA credit card holders any amount of miles. So, if your brother has a spouse, significant other, friend, etc., have them also open an HA credit card and Hawaiian Miles account. Once their miles get posted they can then transfer the required miles from one to the other to get at least a one-way tix in FC or maybe a r/t in coach.
Doesn't it cost 130,000 miles one way? And less if you are lucky enough to find saver availability?

Search this Thread