Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Price per ticket increases with more passengers

Old Aug 1, 18, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Hello

I'm new to this forum. Wasn't sure where to post this. I am looking to book RT First Class LAX -> OGG in April 2019. I am using Google Flights to search. The passengers are me, my wife, my 13-year old daughter (qualifying as Adult on Google Flights), and my 11-year old daughter. What I find is that if I search for 3 adults and 1 youth, the price per ticket hovers around $2100. But if I break them into two groups: 2 adults, and 1 adult/1 youth, the price per ticket is less than $1500. Is there any risk to buying these simultaneously in different browsers (Safari and Chrome)? There appears to be enough seats, I'm just afraid that if the system detects my shenanigans, one will fail and I won't be able to purchase the second set, or at best for a higher price.

Thanks
A
Old Aug 1, 18, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All tickets in the PNR must be in the same fare basis. Thus, if there are only 1 or 2 seats at the $1,500 fare basis and you select 3, all 3 will price into the higher fare basis.

There is no need for "shenanigans" here. Simply go on the HA website and try booking 2 seats. If they both price at $1,500, book them at that price and then book the third eat at $2,100. If you can't get two seats at $1,500, book 1 and then book the other two at $2,100 (or whatever pricing you can get).

There could be as few as one seats at the $1,500 price, so don't delay as if someone else books that one seat, you are SOL.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 1, 18, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Often1, I didn't realize that about the basis. OK, I'll go ahead and go for it.
Old May 22, 19, 4:03 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Some years ago my wife and I and my son and his wife were trying to book on Hawaiian. We saw the same nonsense of only 2 available at this price. We booked 2 at the low price and, surprise, 2 more became available at the same low price and we booked the next two at the same low price.

This might not always happen, but most airlines give you a free cancellation period for 24 hours. So book the 2 at the low price and try to book 2 more at the low price. If you can't, then you have the option of canceling and looking at another airline.
laxsnaogg likes this.
Old May 26, 19, 1:34 am

I would try in two lots in two different browsers at the same time.
The potential savings is worth the effort.

Search this Thread