Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaiian Air vs Jetstar?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Hawaiian Air vs Jetstar?

What's the quality of these airlines? I'm looking at a one way flight HNL --> BNE and Jetstar is the cheapest, but I know nothing about that airline. There's a full itinerary from NYC --> HNL --> BNE which is a bit more expensive on Hawaiian Air, but if Jetstar is fine, it's worth saving the money. Thanks!
Old Jun 25, 2018, 4:43 am

Programs: QF GA NZ WN. Accor+ Bonvoy IHC
Jetstar is our version of Spirit. Those 787s are jammed packed full of bargain seeking Aussies and all that entails. You get what you pay for for.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BSBtraveller
Jetstar is our version of Spirit. Those 787s are jammed packed full of bargain seeking Aussies and all that entails. You get what you pay for for.
Exactly why I asked. For 10 hour flights I think the extra hundred bucks is worth its weight in gold to be on a better airline!
Old Jun 25, 2018, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Jetstar is a low cost airline 100% owed by Qantas. You need to check carefully what is in in the ticket.

But economy(coach) is economy(coach), but there are minor differences between airlines. Check the seat pitch and how many seats across. But for economy/coach most airlines are tending to the same number of seats across on wide body aircraft.

Paying extra for an (economy) exit row on any aircraft can make a big difference to comfort.

HA HNL-BNE is 13:35 – 19:45 = a day flight
JQ via SYD or MEL so a far longer travel time. At one time JQ may have flown BNE HNL non stop
JQ will not get you NYC-HNL, but may put you on an AA codeshare

When are you looking to travel?
alwaystemporary likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Jetstar is a low cost airline 100% owed by Qantas. You need to check carefully what is in in the ticket.

But economy(coach) is economy(coach), but there are minor differences between airlines. Check the seat pitch and how many seats across. But for economy/coach most airlines are tending to the same number of seats across on wide body aircraft.

Paying extra for an (economy) exit row on any aircraft can make a big difference to comfort.

HA HNL-BNE is 13:35 – 19:45 = a day flight
JQ via SYD or MEL so a far longer travel time. At one time JQ may have flown BNE HNL non stop
JQ will not get you NYC-HNL, but may put you on an AA codeshare

When are you looking to travel?
Going in October. I found a flight on Hawaiian NYC --> HNL with a free stayover for a week then HNL --> BNE. Total cost it was only a little over $100 more than the other itinerary I looked at, which was BOS --> HNL (multiple airlines all said the same/similar cost) then a week later HNL --> BNE on Jetstar. It is 100% completely worth it for a better airline.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:17 pm

Hawaiian's A330 is 8 across (2-4-2) with 18" wide seats with 31-32" pitch. Jetstar's 787 is 9 across (3-3-3) with 17" wide seats with 30" pitch.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alwaystemporary
Going in October. I found a flight on Hawaiian NYC --> HNL with a free stayover for a week then HNL --> BNE. Total cost it was only a little over $100 more than the other itinerary I looked.....
So have you booked it?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Hawaiian Airlines Very Good

On Hawaiian you will get two free meals and beverage service on both the NY leg and the HNL-Brisbane flights, and the seatbacks have free AVOD. Hawaiian always ranks at having among the fewest cancelled flights. In NY they leave from Terminal 5- Jet Blue's home, and many find that the easiest terminal. Of course in HNL, Hawaiian is a major carrier- and their lobby is very crowded. Hawaiian crews always noticeably work well together. (I;ve flown them to Sydney and NY from HNL and also have stock in the airline)
Old Jun 26, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
I pay extra for those additional inches in "Extra Comfort," but I'm 6'2".
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

So have you booked it?
Probably this weekend I will. I'm useless during the week, too busy and I need to solidify the exact dates
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HawaiiFlyerDC8
On Hawaiian you will get two free meals and beverage service on both the NY leg and the HNL-Brisbane flights, and the seatbacks have free AVOD. Hawaiian always ranks at having among the fewest cancelled flights. In NY they leave from Terminal 5- Jet Blue's home, and many find that the easiest terminal. Of course in HNL, Hawaiian is a major carrier- and their lobby is very crowded. Hawaiian crews always noticeably work well together. (I;ve flown them to Sydney and NY from HNL and also have stock in the airline)
Sounds good to me and needed for those long flights!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.