HA's SFO-HNL-SYD flights

Old Jun 5, 18, 7:56 pm

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Hawaiian717 View Post
Perhaps this is a difference between the summer and winter schedules? Hawaii doesn’t do DST while SFO and SYD do, albeit flipped months due to Northern vs Southern Hemisphere. With DST adjustments I can see how the schedules might line up one part of the year without others.
This is the reason. When they first started the larger number of international destinations, I noticed that lack of connectivity at certain times of year. You literally have difficulties making a connecting hub during the winter without significantly increasing crew costs and/or having far less desirable schedules. So, yes, it is a time zone issue.
Old Jun 7, 18, 10:28 pm

Can you book this as a single ticket?

-David
Old Jun 8, 18, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LIH Prem View Post
Can you book this as a single ticket?
Yes, of course, SFO to Syd is sold as a point-to-point ticket with a lengthy forced stopover in hnl.

​​​​ maybe I don't understand your question...
Old Jun 10, 18, 11:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA 1K 2MM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), AS MVP
Originally Posted by sfvoyage View Post
I called HA's customer service number about their SFO-HNL-SYD flights, and the rep didn't sound very knowledgeable and provided me with some answers only after consulting with a supervisor, and so I'd like to double check on here:

This routing comes with a 23hr layover. Is it true that:

1) I can check my luggage all the way through to SYD when checking in at SFO?
2) because this is considered an international route, I am entitled to 2 pieces of free checked bags at 70 lbs each for both sectors (even though the SFO-HNL sector by itself normally would incur checked baggage fee in Y)?
3) I assume the checked bags will be placed in a secure location for the overnight layover at HNL? I have heard that certain airports have a higher risk for luggage theft, but I don't recall HNL being one of them.
4) When I return to HNL the next day, I can bypass check-in formalities and go straight to passport control and security check?

Any other tips or insight for this routing is appreciated; this will be my first time flying HA. Thank you.
I would think that HA would have the same rules as everyone else. So the 23 hours in HNL (if on one ticket) is a connection, not a stop-over since it is less than 24 hours.

1.You can check your luggage all the way through to SYD.
2.The Luggage allowance for the SFO-SYD (with connection in HNL) prevail.
3.I've done this in many other places - would I put anything super valuable in the check-bag, no but I wouldn't do that anyway. If just clothes, toiletries I feel zero risk of doing this. I've done this in SIN, PEK, FRA, BKK - all on similar situations with a connection that was long enough to spend the night in town but less than 24 hours so it was a connection.
4. You should have both of your boarding passes for SFO-HNL and HNL-SYD when you check-in, so yes then you can go directly to the gate. I sometimes check with an agent (usually at the gate) and show them my baggage receipt to ensure that my luggage is on the flight.
Old Jun 10, 18, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SF1K View Post
I would think that HA would have the same rules as everyone else. So the 23 hours in HNL (if on one ticket) is a connection, not a stop-over since it is less than 24 hours.

1.You can check your luggage all the way through to SYD.
2.The Luggage allowance for the SFO-SYD (with connection in HNL) prevail.
3.I've done this in many other places - would I put anything super valuable in the check-bag, no but I wouldn't do that anyway. If just clothes, toiletries I feel zero risk of doing this. I've done this in SIN, PEK, FRA, BKK - all on similar situations with a connection that was long enough to spend the night in town but less than 24 hours so it was a connection.
4. You should have both of your boarding passes for SFO-HNL and HNL-SYD when you check-in, so yes then you can go directly to the gate. I sometimes check with an agent (usually at the gate) and show them my baggage receipt to ensure that my luggage is on the flight.
Thank you for your very useful and thorough reply. And yes, I plan to double-check with the gate agent at hnl about my checked bags, great idea.
SF1K likes this.
Old Jun 10, 18, 7:40 pm

Yes, of course, SFO to Syd is sold as a point-to-point ticket with a lengthy forced stopover in hnl.

​​​​ maybe I don't understand your question...

If it's a single ticket, then I think you'd be able to check your bags through unless they somehow consider the 23 hour stop in HNL a stopover. (Most airlines would not for an international itinerary).

If the ticket is issued and you can post the routing codes from the ticket, somebody will be able to decode them if there's a stopover or not at HNL.

-David
Old Dec 6, 18, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

I have now checked with 3 separate HA reps, and they all said, after checking with their supervisor, that I can check my bags at SFO all the way through to SYD and that the free checked bag allowance is 2 bags @70 lbs each (in accordance with the HNL-SYD sector, since this is an international itinerary).

They didn't know whether the bags will be locked overnight at HNL but assured me that they will be safe. I can't imagine the bags will be left in the open during the long layover.

I don't mind the 23hr layover in HNL - always nice to spend some time there and to split up the journey. I am in no hurry ...
I just did the SFO-HNL leg yesterday and can provide an update.

Contrary to all the 3 separate assurances from HA's call center I was not able to check in at SFO all the way through to SYD, nor could I check my bags through. The check-in agent said I need to get my bags at HNL and then go upstairs to re-check in for the next boarding pass HNL-SYD and to re-check my bags to SYD.

At HNL, I got my bags and went to check-in and was told that while I could get my boarding pass for HNL-SYD for the next day, they cannot take my bag, as HA does not have a secured storage facility for overnight bag storage. The supervisor apologized and said they outsourced their call center overseas, and training and communication has suffered. He gave me contact info for their consumer affairs and asked me to write in to complaint but offered no proactive attempt at service recovery. I asked if there's anything he could do for the miscommunication and trouble, e.g. a better seat, and he then upgraded me to their "economy comfort" seat, which looks like the old UA E+ product, with just 2 or 3 extra inches of leg room and not much else. Better than nothing.

However, when I checked in this morning, the kiosk attempted to collect upgrade fees for the 2 seats. Apparently the upgrade is documented for their agents, but that system does not talk to the kiosk check-in system. I had to track down the initial supervisor in the back office, and another agent said HA has to do a better job with their systems.
Old Dec 7, 18, 12:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
...they outsourced their call center overseas, and training and communication has suffered.

...and another agent said HA has to do a better job with their systems.
These problems have existed for years. Donít hold your breath for a fix (and be cautious about trusting HA for long haul).