Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Avoid Flying the A321neo due to 17.3 Wide Seat

Avoid Flying the A321neo due to 17.3 Wide Seat

Old Apr 22, 18, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HA Platinum, UA 1K, CO
Angry Avoid Flying the A321neo due to 17.3 Wide Seat

Any flight on any US carrier over 1.5 hours should not be using a seat less than 18 inches wide. I will support Hawaiian especially when using 18 inch wide coach seats on the A330 and 767. I have stopped flying UA on aircraft using less than 18 inch seat width due to the upper body of average size adults ooze over and interfere and overlap with the seat neighbor. UA 777 has gone from 9 across to 10 across seating reducing the seat to 17.3 inches and thinning the arm rest. If you are in a center seat, you are now in an upper body area conflict with the passengers on both sides. Less than 18 inch width should be banned on American Fleets. I won't fly the new HAL A321neo due to seat size. I hope the 787 does not go to anything in coach less than 18 inches in width. And the rear rows of some coach seats on the A330 are evidently less than 17 inches. Passenger/Buyer beware.

I suggest to all fliers who fly in any American Fleet aircraft and experience the inability to sit properly in a coach seat to file a complaint with the US Dept of Transportation when ever they fly in an aircraft with less than 18 inch seats especially on flights greater than 1.5 to 2 hours. The only way the Airline CEOs are going to get the message that 17 inch seats are two narrow is if we file a complaint with USDOT instead of just listing it on flyertalk or SeatGuru.
747FC and rallyeHI like this.
Old Apr 23, 18, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
DC-9s have been flying with 2x3 seating since ~1966 with 17" seats. 737s followed with 3x3. Complain to the DOT and they'll be sure your tinfoil hat is too tight.
msp3 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 18, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA Pua Plat
So did you actually fly on this plane, or did you just look on SeatGuru? I'm guessing the latter. Stop using SeatGuru. It has many errors. Especially when it comes to stuff like seat width. There are many different ways to measure it - unlike pitch, it's not standardized. If you're measuring between the armrests, for example, the thickness of the armrests will define the seat width, despite shoulder space being the real issue that most passengers are concerned about. The A321neo has plenty of room for 18" seats, so unless HA went with an abnormally wide aisle, there shouldn't be any difference from the other A321neo carriers.

Also, 17" wide seats are the standard for the 737, which regularly has regularly flown routes on much longer than 1.5 hours for a long time. That ship sailed long ago. If seat width is your top concern you should be glad that HA went with Airbus for their narrowbodies.
Old Apr 29, 18, 9:46 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Have you ever measured the shoulder width of say 10 random adult male economy passengers? The average is going to be a lot more than 18 inches. One of my most uncomfortable flights was when Mrs. Jonsail and I arrived early at SFO for the short UA flight to LAS in coach. I asked the gate agent if we could get on a flight just then boarding. She said, no, it was really full. I said I had the second level UA status, would that make a difference? She said, ok, and gave me and Mrs. Jonsail middle seats. My seat was between two other men, the three us probably averaged 6 ft in height with proportionate shoulder width. The three of us could not lean back at the same time. More recently I have been flying more in first class and it seems to me that there are a lot of really tall men in first. The shrinking economy seat is simply not going to fit an increasing number of people.
Old May 22, 18, 7:31 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Wild_Fire_HI View Post
I suggest to all fliers who fly in any American Fleet aircraft and experience the inability to sit properly in a coach seat to file a complaint with the US Dept of Transportation when ever they fly in an aircraft with less than 18 inch seats especially on flights greater than 1.5 to 2 hours. The only way the Airline CEOs are going to get the message that 17 inch seats are two narrow is if we file a complaint with USDOT instead of just listing it on flyertalk or SeatGuru.
DOT complaints will not change a single thing.

Try sitting in a CRJ-200 for 3+ hours and then we'll talk about discomfort!

Search this Thread