Booking Inter-island using points on HA

Old Mar 2, 18, 9:55 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Jackson, WY
Posts: 531
Booking Inter-island using points on HA

Never flew HA, need 2 inter-island flights in a month. I have Membership Rewards points I can transfer in. I saw some notes on TPG that you can book the flights for 7,500 points directly on HA. Are all flights available this way? Are they all 7,500 points for economy? I'm hesitant to transfer points in before being sure I can do this.
Mbcijim10 is offline  
Old Mar 2, 18, 12:29 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: HNL
Programs: HH Diamond, UA/HA
Posts: 17
Not all neighbor island flights are available at the 7,500 point tier. I would suggest signing up for a HawaiianMiles account, then checking redemption availability on your desired flights before transferring the miles.
CRJ200flyer is offline  
Old Mar 2, 18, 11:00 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: HNL
Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Posts: 660
Also keep in mind that depending on where you're going and when, it could be cheaper to just use your points to buy tickets through Amex's portal, even at a penny a point. Hawaiian miles are not a high-value currency. You may be able to get 1.25 cents/point or a little better, particularly on HNL-KOA or HNL-ITO, but that's about as good as it gets.

One other note: you don't really need an HA account to look for availability. You can search another airline that partners with HA on interisland (eg AA). If you see availability there, it will also be bookable through HA.
WrightHI is offline  
Old Mar 3, 18, 1:24 pm
  #4  
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Posts: 15,590
Originally Posted by WrightHI View Post
You can search another airline that partners with HA on interisland (eg AA). If you see availability there, it will also be bookable through HA.
HA partner awards at the lowest level book into T class and HA awards at the lowest book into U (I think, but it is certainly a different class than T). T does not always equal U (or whatever it is), so I am not sure referring to a partner website to view HA award availability will always show accurate HA award availability.

In any event, it may seem like a lot of money vis-a-vis the mileage required for an award, but the value proposition is usually not there (except in those rare instances where the one way flight is over $200 and there is somehow and surprisingly award availability at the lowest level--I've seen this once or twice). So I am usually paying cash and saving the miles for bigger and brighter.
slippahs is offline  
Old Mar 3, 18, 6:39 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: HNL
Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Posts: 660
Originally Posted by slippahs View Post
HA partner awards at the lowest level book into T class and HA awards at the lowest book into U (I think, but it is certainly a different class than T). T does not always equal U (or whatever it is), so I am not sure referring to a partner website to view HA award availability will always show accurate HA award availability.
Thanks for the clarification, but it's still true that if you see availability through a partner, it will also be there through HA, so checking availability through a partner can be a useful shortcut for someone who doesn't have an HA account or doesn't want to futz around with HA's lousy website.

Last edited by slippahs; Mar 5, 18 at 1:00 pm Reason: Moderator mess up using mobile skin
WrightHI is offline  
Old Mar 5, 18, 1:00 pm
  #6  
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Posts: 15,590
Originally Posted by WrightHI View Post

Thanks for the clarification, but it's still true that if you see availability through a partner, it will also be there through HA, so checking availability through a partner can be a useful shortcut for someone who doesn't have an HA account or doesn't want to futz around with HA's lousy website.
My point being that you don’t see the entire picture if you only rely on the partner websites.
slippahs is offline  
Old Mar 5, 18, 3:50 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: msp
Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 766
I need to burn some Amex MR or Chase points for inter-island flights (x3)....
Options:
transfer to HA, book tickets for 45,000 points (MR)
transfer to UA, book HA tickets for 42,000 points (Chase UR)

(yes, I want to burn points so I can close one of these -either option gives me more than .01/point so I feel ok about that)

Question - could I book via UA but then put my HA number into the reservation, can I get reduced baggage fee?
Otherwise, I feel like spending extra $60 on bags negates the points savings.

Thoughts?
curl is offline  
Old Mar 5, 18, 4:03 pm
  #8  
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Posts: 15,590
Originally Posted by curl View Post
I need to burn some Amex MR or Chase points for inter-island flights (x3)....
Options:
transfer to HA, book tickets for 45,000 points (MR)
transfer to UA, book HA tickets for 42,000 points (Chase UR)

(yes, I want to burn points so I can close one of these -either option gives me more than .01/point so I feel ok about that)

Question - could I book via UA but then put my HA number into the reservation, can I get reduced baggage fee?
Otherwise, I feel like spending extra $60 on bags negates the points savings.

Thoughts?
I am not sure about the reduced fees, but as a HA Pualani, I always receive free bags when booking a UA award and putting my HA Miles number on reservation.

Can you do better just booking the flights outright for .015/point through the Chase UR travel portal?
slippahs is offline  
Old Mar 5, 18, 4:25 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: msp
Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 766
@slippahs, I could make the exact flights I wanted come up in the UR portal. However, after filtering it a ton via advance search, I finally got the one I wanted to show up. It is like 14,500 so doesn't save much vs. transferring. On the flip, I'd prefer to burn up the UR points first.

HOWEVER, now I'm second guessing connection time in HNL. What's the official reco? (separate tickets, checked bags)
curl is offline  
Old Mar 5, 18, 5:01 pm
  #10  
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Posts: 15,590
Originally Posted by curl View Post
@slippahs, I could make the exact flights I wanted come up in the UR portal. However, after filtering it a ton via advance search, I finally got the one I wanted to show up. It is like 14,500 so doesn't save much vs. transferring. On the flip, I'd prefer to burn up the UR points first.

HOWEVER, now I'm second guessing connection time in HNL. What's the official reco? (separate tickets, checked bags)
Don't want to take this topic too far topic by going into connection times, so please see the following threads that may be helpful:
Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...riences-2.html
HA connecting flight bag charges (& MAJOR change to inter-line policy as of 6/1/12)
slippahs is offline  
Old Mar 6, 18, 12:30 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: HNL
Programs: HA - Pualani Plat; Avis FIRST; Emerald Club Executive
Posts: 163
Originally Posted by curl View Post
I need to burn some Amex MR or Chase points for inter-island flights (x3)....
Options:
transfer to HA, book tickets for 45,000 points (MR)
transfer to UA, book HA tickets for 42,000 points (Chase UR)

(yes, I want to burn points so I can close one of these -either option gives me more than .01/point so I feel ok about that)

Question - could I book via UA but then put my HA number into the reservation, can I get reduced baggage fee?
Otherwise, I feel like spending extra $60 on bags negates the points savings.

Thoughts?
https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/legal/list-of-all-fees

*Restrictions may apply. As a member benefit, HawaiianMiles members will enjoy reduced 1st and 2nd checked baggage fees when flying between the Neighbor Islands, traveling wholly within the State of Hawaii. For example, a ticket from Honolulu (Oahu) to Kahului (Maui) is considered a Neighbor Island ticket, and therefore, Neighbor Island bag fees apply. A ticket from JFK to Kahului with a connection in Honolulu will be considered a North America ticket, and therefore, North America bag fees apply. Discount applies to confirmed Hawaiian Airlines revenue tickets and flight award tickets redeemed with HawaiianMiles. Discount is applicable on any fare class ticket. Baggage discounts will only be applied when your HawaiianMiles number is present in your reservation, or added prior to completing the check-in process.

Purchasing tickets through codeshare partners: In compliance with DOT regulations, Hawaiian Airlines must be the marketing carrier on your itinerary to assure that this benefit is applied (i.e. ticket shows a Hawaiian Airlines flight number for the first flight on the ticket). If you are a member of HawaiianMiles and another airline’s frequent flyer program, your HawaiianMiles number must be the only frequent flyer number present in your reservation, to be eligible for the baggage discount. This also means you will be earning HawaiianMiles for your entire itinerary; mileage credit will not be posted to any other frequent flyer program.Checked Bags up to 50 lbs and 62 linear inches Neighbor Island (USD)North America (USD)1st checked bag$25
$15 HawaiianMiles Members*$252nd checked bag$35
$20 HawaiianMiles Members*$353 or more checked bags (per piece)$50$100
yahrite808 is offline  
Old Mar 14, 18, 11:35 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: msp
Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 766
I ended up booking directly with Hawaiian, using our HawaiianMiles numbers. (via Chase UR) it was just easiest and we will save $10 on each bag.
curl is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread