Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

baggage fee for United Premier Silver traveling on Hawaiian Air

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA - Platinum; Starwood - Platinum; Alaska - MVP75; IHG - Platinum; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Gold

I am traveling with Hawaiian Airlines. Wanted to know what is the baggage fees if I am a United Premier Silver member and my reservation has my United MileagePlus #?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
HA is not a *A carrier. Your UA status is irrelevant and you will have whatever the baggage allowance is for your class of service. Your e-ticket receipt should show the charges, if any, for the first and second bag for each segment of your ticket,
Old Feb 12, 2018, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA - Platinum; Starwood - Platinum; Alaska - MVP75; IHG - Platinum; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Gold
Since HA & UA are partners, what are the key benefits of traveling with HA as a Premier Silver of UA?
Old Feb 13, 2018, 5:00 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kay_jay
Since HA & UA are partners, what are the key benefits of traveling with HA as a Premier Silver of UA?
There are very little benefits. The partnership is purely interline only meaning for thru-checking baggage to final destination and codesharing abilities when on a single ticket. Therefore, if you fly on one ticket from UA operated to HA operated, your baggage fees are applicable based on your departure point. And so whatever you receive as a UA elite or for your class of service, that would apply for all remaining sectors on the outbound itinerary even HA codeshared segments. BUT if you are returning and starting the journey back with HA as your first operated flight (Hawaii back to mainland), then you will have to pay the HA fees regardless because that is the starting carrier. HA does not acknowledge any UA benefits such a United credit card baggage waivers or UA elite status. The only way to have free baggage on HA when starting with HA operated flights is to have HA elite status or HA first class.

Here is a very extensive thread confirming this:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...iences-18.html

In regards to other benefits, you can only earn award miles for HA flights, but you will NOT earn a single PQM for those HA operated flights even if they have a UA codeshare so no point paying extra for F class on those segments if you wanted extra PQMs.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Bags checked through, protection if flights are delayed/canceled and mileage earning.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Practically speaking, none.

HA and UA have an interline ticketing & baggage agreement. Just like the vast majority of IATA carriers. Using the term "partner" in this context means nothing more than that you may book a ticket on one carrier, connecting to the other and you will receive the benefits of a connection rather than a transfer between tickets.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Practically speaking, none.

HA and UA have an interline ticketing & baggage agreement. Just like the vast majority of IATA carriers. Using the term "partner" in this context means nothing more than that you may book a ticket on one carrier, connecting to the other and you will receive the benefits of a connection rather than a transfer between tickets.
You can earn and redeem award miles on UA codeshared inter-island flights though so it's not just a baggage agreement. You also can earn PQD miles as well for those applicable flights. I book United flights every month to get to and from Hawaii and connect on UA coded HA operated inter-island flights and I earn a tiny amount of PQDs for the fare allocation and a tiny amount of award miles based on the fare as well, but not a single PQM ever. It is still better than nothing. I have status with HA so I don't have an issue with baggage thankfully.

Here is an example of an upcoming trip next week. $663 for a first class ticket on United to Hawaii and 1K calculations with the HA segment in economy. Economy was $450 due to booking last week and so an extra 200 dollars for the extra PQMs and also lie-flat seats to HNL is worth it. Complimentary upgrades are so difficult to clear lately with usually 30-50 people on the list at the airport for a 777 aircraft.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
If I book a ticket using MileagePlus miles (inter-island) then add my HA number to reservation, can I get the reduced bag fee? It is a separate ticket and I don't care about earning UA miles on the short flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.