FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hawaii-Based Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-based-airlines-447/)
-   -   In Flight Meals and Beverages- HA Economy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-based-airlines/1890688-flight-meals-beverages-ha-economy.html)

Jenn0625 Jan 27, 2018 8:47 am

In Flight Meals and Beverages- HA Economy

Hello. We are flying HA from LAX to OGG (with a short layover in HNL) this summer and curious as to what to expect food and beverage wise for our flight in regular Economy. It's an early morning flight that leaves LAX at 7am and arrives in OGG at 11:45. I had heard they switched the meals in Economy and breakfast is now some sort of brunch package with yogurt and a loaf of something? Our expectations were already low and we are not expecting anything our of this world, but wondering if anyone has any reviews of the new "meals". Also will there be a snack and beverage later in the flight or is it just the one time meal and beverage? Last question is do they offer a complimentary Mai Tai or is that just for First Class?

Kumulani Jan 27, 2018 10:12 am

Yes, they are switching to the new Pau Hana Cafe meals on west coast flights. I believe the main reason for this is the new A321neo, though for the sake of consistency they're switching over the widebody flights as well. Haven't tried the new brunch yet, but did try the turkey pastrami sandwich for lunch which I thought was pretty decent. I liked it better than the pasta they had before.

For west coast flights it's just the one meal service. You still get the free mai tai before landing. If you want an alcoholic beverage with your meal you will have to pay, as before.

Jenn0625 Jan 27, 2018 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Kumulani (Post 29346229)
Yes, they are switching to the new Pau Hana Cafe meals on west coast flights. I believe the main reason for this is the new A321neo, though for the sake of consistency they're switching over the widebody flights as well. Haven't tried the new brunch yet, but did try the turkey pastrami sandwich for lunch which I thought was pretty decent. I liked it better than the pasta they had before.

For west coast flights it's just the one meal service. You still get the free mai tai before landing. If you want an alcoholic beverage with your meal you will have to pay, as before.

thank you :)

azj Jan 27, 2018 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Jenn0625 (Post 29346016)
Hello. We are flying HA from LAX to OGG (with a short layover in HNL) this summer and curious as to what to expect food and beverage wise for our flight in regular Economy. It's an early morning flight that leaves LAX at 7am and arrives in OGG at 11:45. I had heard they switched the meals in Economy and breakfast is now some sort of brunch package with yogurt and a loaf of something? Our expectations were already low and we are not expecting anything our of this world, but wondering if anyone has any reviews of the new "meals". Also will there be a snack and beverage later in the flight or is it just the one time meal and beverage? Last question is do they offer a complimentary Mai Tai or is that just for First Class?

Flights before 10am are "breakfast" and the flights after are "lunch/dinner." All the west coast flights will be the same style of service, with the alignment that happened Dec 1st. As mentioned, the storage space on the 321neo was driving this shift and it allowed an opportunity to streamline the service to the West Coast. JFK will still see the pseudo international style of service as before. The first round of service will be the buy on board cart, second round is the meal + drinks, third round is coffee/tea + sweet treat, last service is the Maui potato chips and Koloa rum punch. Hope that helps! Enjoy your flight.

Jenn0625 Jan 28, 2018 10:31 am

Originally Posted by azj (Post 29347365)
Flights before 10am are "breakfast" and the flights after are "lunch/dinner." All the west coast flights will be the same style of service, with the alignment that happened Dec 1st. As mentioned, the storage space on the 321neo was driving this shift and it allowed an opportunity to streamline the service to the West Coast. JFK will still see the pseudo international style of service as before. The first round of service will be the buy on board cart, second round is the meal + drinks, third round is coffee/tea + sweet treat, last service is the Maui potato chips and Koloa rum punch. Hope that helps! Enjoy your flight.

It does very much thank you! :)

formeraa Jan 31, 2018 8:59 am

Originally Posted by azj (Post 29347365)

In other words, HA has skimped on galley space on the A321 to cram in more seats. ;)

mileageplusorminus Jan 31, 2018 12:01 pm

I checked the JFK-HNL menu....there is an eggplant pasta for the first meal and an egg salad sandwich prior to landing. An entire cabin of egg salad sandwiches....I'm seriously hoping I won't gag. In comparison the turkey pastrami sandwich mentioned above sounds delightful. I'm hoping the menu changes before May but I'm not counting on it. From what I've seen they seem to change every 6-9 months and this is current as of Dec 1 2017.

Kumulani Jan 31, 2018 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by mileageplusorminus (Post 29362950)
I checked the JFK-HNL menu....there is an eggplant pasta for the first meal and an egg salad sandwich prior to landing. An entire cabin of egg salad sandwiches....I'm seriously hoping I won't gag. In comparison the turkey pastrami sandwich mentioned above sounds delightful. I'm hoping the menu changes before May but I'm not counting on it. From what I've seen they seem to change every 6-9 months and this is current as of Dec 1 2017.

As far as I know there are no plans to change the JFK flights to this new meal format.

bonjourashley Feb 1, 2018 4:22 pm

When I flew LAX-HNL a few weeks back they served blueberry yogurt, a granola pack, some coconut cake/loaf, a few pieces of fruit in a small dish (grapes and cantaloupe maybe?), and a cookie. It's not big or super filling, but it is a major improvement over the old menu.

747FC Oct 28, 2018 7:22 pm

For the first time in a very long while, we will be flying HA in economy (but EC) HNL-LAX and return. I know there is a free meal service in economy, however, is there any for-pay options in addition to the free meals (blueberry yogurt--gag)?

Mahalo,.

HA/UA_Flyer Oct 28, 2018 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC (Post 30366980)
For the first time in a very long while, we will be flying HA in economy (but EC) HNL-LAX and return. I know there is a free meal service in economy, however, is there any for-pay options in addition to the free meals (blueberry yogurt--gag)?

Mahalo,.

There is a Pau Hana cart service with snacks for sale including a snack box. Here's the menu from the HA website: Pau Hana Cart Menu

But, to be honest with you, just like with all the other US airlines in Y class, you are better off bringing your own food aboard. I'd go for a nice bento or a couple of manapua and pork hash from Chun Wah Kam.

747FC Oct 29, 2018 1:55 am

Originally Posted by HA/UA_Flyer (Post 30367301)
There is a Pau Hana cart service with snacks for sale including a snack box. Here's the menu from the HA website: Pau Hana Cart Menu

But, to be honest with you, just like with all the other US airlines in Y class, you are better off bringing your own food aboard. I'd go for a nice bento or a couple of manapua and pork hash from Chun Wah Kam.

Thanks so much for the link. I've got some Amex Plat credits to splurge with, so perhaps I'll buy out the cart.

Some of those items appear to need some hot water (Cup o Noodles) or might be best served hot (Farro and Grille Veggies). Anyone know if they are served hot?

One last question: When does the Pau Hana Cart make the rounds?

Mahalo!

Ukalady Oct 29, 2018 12:21 pm

The cart itself comes around pretty quickly into the flight (gotta get those earbuds and snacks, you know!) but it's available throughout the flight back in the galley area, I've found.