Kudos to Hawaiian

Old Oct 7, 17, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus
Kudos to Hawaiian

I got distracted while booking an award travel flight and booked the wrong flight. I called Hawaiian and with one minute of waiting I was talking to an agent who fixed my error at no charge. I have no status with Hawaiian. Such service is rare for an airline these days.
Old Oct 8, 17, 8:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
How long after you booked did you call? How far in the future was the first flight?
Old Oct 8, 17, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
How long after you booked did you call? How far in the future was the first flight?
Fortunately, I recognized the error right away and called right away and the flight was more than two months out. I realize these facts contributed to Hawaii's representative's decision to say, "We will change this flight without charge as a one time courtesy to you."

Under these circumstances I would hope other airlines would do the same. However, having been on hold for unreasonable lengths of times with other airlines I was super-impressed with a hold of less than one minute. There may have been some luck as to how busy they were at the time I called, but also on past occasions I have found Hawaiian Airlines to be very accessible by phone.
Old Oct 8, 17, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No need for kudos and it was a misrepresentation to tell you that it was a one-time courtesy. U.S. law requires that carriers provide this within 24 hours of booking for flights departing 7+ days out. There are some ins and outs, but that is the essence. HA even tells you this on its website. See the relevant section below.

HA did what the law requires it to do and if it ever won't, no matter what the agent says about "one time" you will have a valid chargeback and DOT complaint.

This, by the way, is true for all US carriers and for non-US carriers departing the US.

Hawaiian Airlines will:
allow customers to cancel reservations made 7 or more days prior to departure without penalty if requested within 24 hours of purchase.

Search this Thread