Wiki Posts
Search

HA Interisland Widebody Flights?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM
HA Interisland Widebody Flights?

Wondering how many inter island widebody flights there are around Labor day? I have found a 767 HNL-LIH in the afternoon, but thats it.

Any others?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 4, 2017 at 12:37 am Reason: vague thread title
Old Jul 22, 2017, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
They run the 767 seasonally HNL-LIH-LAX in the summer, so they can cycle the 767 through HNL for maintenance purposes. I've seen a 767 HNL-OGG before but it may have been a one off.

Personally, having taken the 767 before HNL-LIH, I say it is not worth it for the short flight. You have to board earlier, you will most likely have to taxi out to the reef runway, and you may need to wait a long time to deplane if you're in the back. It's much more efficient to hop over on a 717, IME, even though the block time for the 767 is just a minute longer. It's the extra boarding time that's the real hassle.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by slippahs
....I say it is not worth it for the short flight. You have to board earlier, you will most likely have to taxi out to the reef runway, and you may need to wait a long time to deplane if you're in the back. It's much more efficient to hop over on a 717, IME, even though the block time for the 767 is just a minute longer. It's the extra boarding time that's the real hassle.
+1

For quite awhile after Aloha stopped service and HA took up the considerable slack, it employed the 767s to shuttle the enormous number of afternoon commuting business passengers returning to HNL from OGG.

Despite the much nicer F section and greater capacity for free Plat upgrades, using the 67s quickly became tedious due to the crowding in the terminal, long boarding process, and the longer taxi times from using the Reef Runway. What was normally scheduled as a 35 minute flight became a 50 minute adventure.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:18 am
azj

Originally Posted by tikchik
Wondering how many inter island widebody flights there are around Labor day? I have found a 767 HNL-LIH in the afternoon, but thats it. Any others?
As mentioned, there is a 767 that goes between HNL-LIH-OAK and LAX-LIH-HNL. Also, twice a week this summer there is a 330 that flies HNL-KOA and KOA-HNL. This service is apart of the weekend seasonal KOA-LAX-KOA, which runs 3/wk. HNL-KOA operates on Saturday evenings and KOA-HNL operates Tuesday afternoons.

LIH-LAX is scheduled to continue year round after the summer season ends but KOA-LAX will end after Labor Day, as will LIH-OAK-LIH. It appears the routing of the aircraft will be HNL-LIH-LAX and LAX-LIH-HNL on a daily basis.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the detailed replies. I just want to take the short hop once. I did the short AA flight MVD-EZE and enjoyed that so I figure doing this once would be fun.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

I've started searching again for flights on HNL-KOA in February. I read an article online that the 332 was going to be flying the route a few times a week but I can't find it.

Anyone know what WB's are running in February?
Old Dec 3, 2017, 11:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
I've started searching again for flights on HNL-KOA in February. I read an article online that the 332 was going to be flying the route a few times a week but I can't find it.

If you look at which days HA flies HND-KOA, that should tell you when they're going to have an A330 in Kona that needs to get to Honolulu.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:09 pm
azj

There is no more scheduled HNL-KOA service on the 330. That ended when catering in KOA was sorted out, thus negating the need for the inter island portion.

Once a a week in either direction this past summer there was a 330 between HNL-KOA as it postponed in/out for the seasonal 4/wk KOA-LAX. That’s returning in the spring, for year round daily service starting on the 767, then shifting to the 321.

Looking into the summer schedule, it appears the HNL-LIH-HNL segment on the 767 is gone. I suspect that as LIH-OAK transitions to the 321neo, there is no need for the inter-island segment any more.

Last edited by azj; Dec 6, 2017 at 12:53 pm
Old Aug 7, 2018, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Wondering if there will be any inter-island flights this Winter not operated by 717?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:31 am
azj

Wondering if there will be any inter-island flights this Winter not operated by 717?
As of now there are no plans, at least by looking at future schedules. However, as more 321's enter the fleet, there's a good chance they could do some neighbor island flying during peak times.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply AZJ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.