Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Redeem HA miles on Virgin America to/from Hawaii?

Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat

Hi,

I'm looking for the best use of my Hawaiian Miles to get me to Hawaii and it seems that the best option may be to redeem them on Virgin America flights? Is there some sort of "gotcha" that I'm missing here?? I've read through the partner award chart and all of that stuff, but I feel like I must be missing something. Like, are you not allowed to use HA miles to book Virgin America flights to/from Hawaii?

According to the chart, the amount of HA miles required for roundtrip travel from East Coast to Hawaii (2000+ miles) is 40,000 for Main Cabin, 60,000 for Main Cabin Select, and 90,000 for First Class. I'm aware that in theory there are cheaper options using Hawaiian miles, but that seems to be some sort of mythical option that doesn't exist in reality. What I'm finding is 40,000 each way using Hawaiian in coach and 80,000 each way in first. Sure, there is the occasional seat for 30,000 one way in coach, but it's rare.

Then, assuming there isn't a "gotcha" that I'm missing... where's the best place to see what award space Hawaiian has access to? I know I can search for Virgin space on Alaska's website, but how do I know which space HA has access to?

Thanks and lot for your time and any help would be appreciated!
Old Apr 2, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Redeeming HA miles on partners (except Jetblue) is notoriously difficult. I've never tried Virgin America but I've done others and trust me, I know from experience that the only way you're going to get good answers to your questions is calling HA. You're not going to get accurate information on award availability anywhere else.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
So, you're absolutely right that they see some sort of special award space compared to anything that I can find online. However, I was able to use HA miles to book VX JFK-SFO-OGG-LAX-JFK for 60k/person round-trip in Main Cabin Select. That's a much better deal than using HawaiianMiles to fly on HA!!

I was able to find space on HA that would cost 60k round trip, but that's in just coach. I got Main Cabin Select on VX for the same price. I consider that a much better use of miles.

That being said... calling and booking through the HA phone agents is certainly an experience that I'd prefer to avoid if at all possible. haha
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521
So, you're absolutely right that they see some sort of special award space compared to anything that I can find online. However, I was able to use HA miles to book VX JFK-SFO-OGG-LAX-JFK for 60k/person round-trip in Main Cabin Select. That's a much better deal than using HawaiianMiles to fly on HA!!

I was able to find space on HA that would cost 60k round trip, but that's in just coach. I got Main Cabin Select on VX for the same price. I consider that a much better use of miles.

That being said... calling and booking through the HA phone agents is certainly an experience that I'd prefer to avoid if at all possible. haha
Thanks for posting back with your experience, and good on you for persisting and actually getting an HA partner award! Most people just get daunted by the process and give up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.