Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Hawaiian Air Interline Agreement for Mainland Flights?

Old Mar 15, 17, 1:25 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Original Poster

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz

I'm aware of Hawaiian's policy for inter-island flights but does anyone have experience in interlining checked baggage from a Hawaiian mainland flight (in this case HNL-JFK) to another carrier (in this case Delta)?

Thanks,

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 22, 18 at 4:17 am
Old Mar 15, 17, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
I'm aware of Hawaiian's policy for inter-island flights but does anyone have experience in interlining checked baggage from a Hawaiian mainland flight (in this case HNL-JFK) to another carrier (in this case Delta?

Thanks,
Looking at their website, it seems that they won't interline to anyone if it isn't on the same ticket. Doesn't seem to matter where the interline occurs. So it looks like you would have to grab the bags in JFK and haul them over to Delta yourself if they aren't on the same ticket.
Old Apr 28, 17, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

True to the above, HA would not interline to DL at JFK; my friends had to check their luggage at T4's luggage storage before heading into Manhattan to spend their long layover.
Old Aug 21, 18, 7:53 pm

Shot in the dark - any chance to connect these HA & DL flights

I'm expecting the answer to this is no, but I thought I'd ask. I've booked an HA flight from OGG-HNL-LAX in J and then a same-day basic economy on DL from LAX-SJC. Since they're separately purchased tickets I've given myself enough time to collect bags, change terminals, check in with DL, check bags, go through security again etc. However, I know HA and DL are codeshare partners (though neither of these are codeshare flights.) Is there any option under the sun where I can somehow link these two flights (HNL-LAX on HA and LAX-SJC on DL) so that my bags can be transferred to the Delta flight and I can skip the hassle of going through the security line again (take the terminal change bus instead?)

And if it's possible, I presume I would have to contact HA rather than DL. Or both?

(My complicated itinerary is all in pursuit of a lie-flat seat from HNL to LAX since HA is flying 767s to SJC)

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 22, 18 at 4:18 am Reason: moved into existing thread on this topic
Old Aug 21, 18, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by ShinyO View Post
I'm expecting the answer to this is no, but I thought I'd ask. I've booked an HA flight from OGG-HNL-LAX in J and then a same-day basic economy on DL from LAX-SJC. Since they're separately purchased tickets I've given myself enough time to collect bags, change terminals, check in with DL, check bags, go through security again etc. However, I know HA and DL are codeshare partners (though neither of these are codeshare flights.) Is there any option under the sun where I can somehow link these two flights (HNL-LAX on HA and LAX-SJC on DL) so that my bags can be transferred to the Delta flight and I can skip the hassle of going through the security line again (take the terminal change bus instead?)

And if it's possible, I presume I would have to contact HA rather than DL. Or both?

(My complicated itinerary is all in pursuit of a lie-flat seat from HNL to LAX since HA is flying 767s to SJC)
This may be too late, but if you are ending up in SJC you should also look at HA 41/42. Thatís the nonstop SFO-OGG and return, and it uses the A330 with lie flat. You could go OGG-SFO then Uber down to San Jose a lot quicker than OGG-HNL-LAX-SJC.

bob
Old Aug 21, 18, 10:24 pm

That was my original planned itinerary exactly including the Uber!

But this is an upgrade to J with points and HA screwed up my original plans and wouldnít refund the points. Long story short but LAX was my only upgrade option with the points I had, SFO on the A330 was 2x points and I didnít have enough (plus 100k points for a 5hr flight was too rich for my blood.) Also tickets are booked so itís too late to change now
Old Aug 22, 18, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ShinyO View Post
Is there any option under the sun where I can somehow link these two flights (HNL-LAX on HA and LAX-SJC on DL) so that my bags can be transferred to the Delta flight and I can skip the hassle of going through the security line again (take the terminal change bus instead?)
What you are hoping is that HA will interline your checked luggage to DL in LAX so you don't have to do the transfer yourself. Sadly, as posted above, HA does not do this for separate tickets and there isn't any way to combine them into a single ticketed reservation.
Old Aug 22, 18, 9:29 am

Itís as I expected. Thanks for the confirmation.
Old Aug 25, 18, 5:10 pm

Iíve found Expedia has attractive one way first class interline fares HA to DL connecting at several west coast airports. Interline baggage is handled with these.
Old Aug 26, 18, 12:15 pm

Good to know! In this case I upgraded the HNL-LAX portion on HA to J with points, but Delta is BE. Would that HA upgrade be possible if the ticket was booked through Expedia?

Search this Thread