Wiki Posts
Search

HNL Modernization Progress

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
HNL Modernization Progress

1. I'm curious what the status is of some of the ongoing projects at HNL. How are things going on that new HA hangar which got stalled last year? Have they made any progress on figuring out what the fate of the commuter airlines will be once the commuter terminal is torn down? Does Island Air's recent ramp up in service affect these plans at all? Now it seems like maybe that Diamond Head commuter terminal wasn't such a bad idea after all. How about the new rental car facility, how's that coming along?

2. After the current projects are done, does HNL have more long term plans for modernization? Particularly airside. The new Mauka concourse looks like it will be nice, but it's barely scratching the surface in terms of what needs to be done. Any plans to eventually rebuild the Diamond Head and Ewa concourses? And the interisland terminal itself... although this is the newest facility at HNL, it's cramped and constantly crowded. The new Mauka expansion should help alleviate congestion there, but do they have any plans to improve the existing airside parts of the terminal?

Last edited by Kumulani; Feb 15, 2017 at 8:13 pm
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Based on Google Earth (Imagery as of 2017), I don't believe the project has ever started.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
Based on Google Earth (Imagery as of 2017), I don't believe the project has ever started.
If you're referring to the commuter terminal demolition/Mauka expansion, well yes of course it hasn't started. I was wondering more about how the progress was going on the factors that would enable it to start (HA hangar and commuter airline relocation).

If you're talking about the modernization project as a whole, anyone who's been through HNL recently knows that isn't true. There has been tons of construction going on for quite a while now.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Kumulani
If you're talking about the modernization project as a whole, anyone who's been through HNL recently knows that isn't true. There has been tons of construction going on for quite a while now.
And we have no idea what they are doing...
Old Feb 7, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
In terms of the hangar, at least according to the quarterly call back on January 24...

"...on the maintenance hangar, can you just say where you are in terms of completing that?"

Mark Dunkerley: "Sure. No worries. The hangar, so the story of the hangar is one of the state was responsible for constructing the hangar. They signed up with the general contractor that failed to deliver the hangar as specified and they abandoned the contracts with the hangar half complete. Since then, we have reached agreement with the state that we are going to take over the completion of the hangar. Where we are right now is that we have our engineering team just about finished going over listing of all the defects and deficiencies, of which there are sadly many, in the construction to-date. As soon as we get our full handle on that, then we will be in there finishing out the construction of the hangar. We hope that this is going to be a matter of months to complete. But again, until we finish our work, determining on what deficiencies are, it’s a bit premature to give an exact date for when we can have it finished. But it is our plan that we are certainly looking at this as a 2017 event..."
Old Feb 7, 2017, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
And we have no idea what they are doing...
Well that's not really the case... We know they tore down the old rental car facility and built a temporary one. They've updated lighting, renovated restrooms, and added retail. They enclosed and air conditioned the main TSA checkpoint. They've been working on replacing the roof at the overseas terminal. And they've started construction on the new HA hangar.

Originally Posted by justen
In terms of the hangar, at least according to the quarterly call back on January 24...

"...on the maintenance hangar, can you just say where you are in terms of completing that?"

Mark Dunkerley: "Sure. No worries. The hangar, so the story of the hangar is one of the state was responsible for constructing the hangar. They signed up with the general contractor that failed to deliver the hangar as specified and they abandoned the contracts with the hangar half complete. Since then, we have reached agreement with the state that we are going to take over the completion of the hangar. Where we are right now is that we have our engineering team just about finished going over listing of all the defects and deficiencies, of which there are sadly many, in the construction to-date. As soon as we get our full handle on that, then we will be in there finishing out the construction of the hangar. We hope that this is going to be a matter of months to complete. But again, until we finish our work, determining on what deficiencies are, it’s a bit premature to give an exact date for when we can have it finished. But it is our plan that we are certainly looking at this as a 2017 event..."
Thanks! This will delay the Mauka Concourse even more, but that probably isn't a bad thing at this point since Island Air's expansion may have made the issue of where to relocate the commuter airlines a bit more complicated.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 12:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Is that why the car rental facility is so 'eh'? Went thru last May and was shocked how bare bones the facility was...
Old Feb 15, 2017, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
Is that why the car rental facility is so 'eh'? Went thru last May and was shocked how bare bones the facility was...
Yep! They built it with the expectation that it would be torn down in a few years.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 3:57 pm

The original schedule had everything completed by the 3rd Quarter of this year.

Name:  HNL%20schedule.jpg
Views: 1421
Size:  157.4 KB
Old Mar 1, 2017, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Just by observation and talking to my friends who live in Hawaii, it seems that most major construction projects are not completed on-time due to the logistics process (e.g. delays in materials, labor, permits, etc.).
Old Mar 3, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by hebsan
The original schedule had everything completed by the 3rd Quarter of this year.

Attachment 27730
Just like Rail.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 2:40 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
I've always wondered, there are these empty support columns on the H1 on top of Nimitz running outside HNL (from when H1 was built?), is that where rail would go? And from the Modernization map posted inside HNL the station is way outside the airport on top of H1/Nimitz. Is the plan to put it really far and hence a long walk so our corrupt city council members can keep getting their bribes from the taxi/shuttle/transportation industry?
Old Mar 6, 2017, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by msp3
I've always wondered, there are these empty support columns on the H1 on top of Nimitz running outside HNL (from when H1 was built?), is that where rail would go? And from the Modernization map posted inside HNL the station is way outside the airport on top of H1/Nimitz. Is the plan to put it really far and hence a long walk so our corrupt city council members can keep getting their bribes from the taxi/shuttle/transportation industry?
It won't be that much of a walk, and anyhow it will have dedicated pedestrian bridges/walkways so it will be easy to get to. I think it would be tough to build it closer to the terminal because the parking garages would be in the way. The bigger problem for the rail in terms of competition with shuttles/taxis is that it won't go to Waikiki.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 12:18 am

Programs: HA Pualani Platinum, National EC Executive, UA & AAdvantage
Today, the curtains were unveiled via the Star Advertiser and their front page story of what is going on with the hangar. All I can say is wow. I agree with one of the sub-contractors that was interviewed...."how can the state be so stupid"? But, what else is new with how things operate in this state. Talk about a freaking mess.

Here's the story: http://www.staradvertiser.com/2017/0...f92592556492bf
Old Mar 22, 2017, 1:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by HA/UA_Flyer
Today, the curtains were unveiled via the Star Advertiser and their front page story of what is going on with the hangar. All I can say is wow. I agree with one of the sub-contractors that was interviewed...."how can the state be so stupid"? But, what else is new with how things operate in this state. Talk about a freaking mess.

Here's the story: http://www.staradvertiser.com/2017/0...f92592556492bf
What a mess...

Also popular in the news today... Dickey's

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.