Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Can I Use Hawaiian Air Cargo to Ship Oversized Items?

Old Jan 9, 17, 12:39 am
Original Poster

While holidaying in Hawaii I was planning to bring home some stereo speakers that are not available in New Zealand (on the HNL to Auckland flight).

Unfortunately I miscalculated the size of the boxes used to ship the speakers and I cannot bring them back as oversize baggage as they are slightly over the maximum lineal measurement allowed by 8 inches.

Does anyone know if I can look at Hawaiian Air Cargo to ship them instead? Would the speakers be sent on my flight and could I pick them up in the baggage hall after I disembark?

Thanks

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 9, 17 at 4:56 am Reason: vague thread title - details added
Old Jan 9, 17, 5:00 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I have no direct experience in the matter, but I suspect you will not be able to use Hawaiian Air Cargo as an un-vetted private citizen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Known_Shipper_Program

In the post-September 11th era, shippers who have been properly vetted with the TSA by an air carrier or freight forwarder are considered a Known Shipper with the TSA. Such shippers may tender their freight for shipment on both passenger and cargo-only aircraft, with some restrictions. Available alternatives for Unknown Shippers to ship via air are now very limited.
You will likely need to engage the services of an international freight-forwarding company or have the vendor from whom you purchase the speakers from handle the shipment.
Old Jan 9, 17, 11:03 am

Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
OP: I think this situation is why there is a Fedex.
Old Jan 9, 17, 11:06 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
I have no direct experience in the matter, but I suspect you will not be able to use Hawaiian Air Cargo as an un-vetted private citizen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Known_Shipper_Program

You will likely need to engage the services of an international freight-forwarding company or have the vendor from whom you purchase the speakers from handle the shipment.
Hmm, I'm not a "known shipper" or a member of the "known shipper" program, but I was able to ship a bunch of boxes via HA Cargo to a neighbor island. I think the boxes just went through additional security. It seems that if you want to ship Hawaii-CONUS, you may need to be a known shipper, but I don't see anything WRT international shipping. The HA Cargo folks are usually pretty nice, so I wouldn't hesitate to give them a call and ask whether you can ship: https://www.hawaiianaircargo.com/learn/how-cargo-works#

Just note, cargo shipping is insanely expensive, so you may be better off going through the courier route as my fellow mod discussed.

Search this Thread