Wiki Posts
Search

Booking online vs by calling

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2016, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Booking online vs by calling

Apologies if this has been brought up before but a search yielded on relevant threads.

I'm thinking of getting a status match from HA and wanted to get a sense of how HA works. I'm going to St. Louis, MO in July so I tried to book a ticket from HNL - St. Louis. I get an error message. Tried to book from HNL - DEN. Same error message.

I chat with "Eunice" who says that I must call reservations if I want to book a ticket where HA does not fly. Oh, and it will incur a $25 fee.

This is an interesting approach. A customer cannot book a ticket online to where HA doesn't go but must pay $25 to book it over the phone.

Alaska, for example, will show you possible flights including AA (a partner) so you can get a sense of the options.

With HA, you have to call and go over the various possibilities, routing, fares, etc. with a live person. Seems terribly inefficient not to mention that you have to pay for this service.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 8:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
HA is primarily about point-to-point transportation to and within the Hawaiian Islands. Its partnerships and the IT implementation thereof are rudimentary at best. But the good news for your purposes is that its frequent flyer plan is low-value and its elite status even more so, so there's really not much reason to worry about a status match or crediting partner flights. If you live in Hawaii and fly HA enough to get status, it's better than not having status, but it's really not something to go out of your way to get.

Edited to add: if you want to get a sense of your options for getting to cities HA doesn't serve directly or via codeshares that you can book on their website, best bet would be to line up HA's schedules into LAX and SFO with VX's and B6's schedules out. Could add HA-B6 at SEA if you're really feeling masochistic. And one other note: partnerships are RDM only, no EQM.

Last edited by WrightHI; Jun 15, 2016 at 8:29 pm
Old Jun 17, 2016, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
You have a point. But HA is no longer this local airline what with over 10 million passengers and non-stop flights to 11 U.S. cities and Japan, South Korea,China, Australia, New Zealand, American Samoa and Tahiti. Being the 13th largest airline in the U.S. makes them a decent sized company.

Your advice about figuring out options is a good one but still unnecessarily laborious.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 8:44 pm

So go with AS
Old Jun 20, 2016, 12:38 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by honmani2
You have a point. But HA is no longer this local airline what with over 10 million passengers and non-stop flights to 11 U.S. cities and Japan, South Korea,China, Australia, New Zealand, American Samoa and Tahiti. Being the 13th largest airline in the U.S. makes them a decent sized company.

Your advice about figuring out options is a good one but still unnecessarily laborious.
I agree with you completely about wishing HA would get its act together in the way you're talking about, but I don't hold out a lot of hope that they'll do so any time soon. That's why I gave up flying them to the mainland. AS has been a great alternative for me; YMMV.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Did you ever call? I'm not sure you can even go between HNL-STL with Hawaiian and codeshares on a single ticket. I don't think even the call center could help.....
Old Jun 24, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
Following is a list of overseas airports that you can fly to on a single ticket with Hawaiian and/or their partners. If your destination isn't on this list, you will need a separate ticket for the non-Hawaiian segment(s). If you are flying on an award ticket, you will always need a separate ticket for non-Hawaiian segments, even if your destination is on the list. Thus, if you frequently fly to destinations not on the list, Hawaiian would not be a good choice for an overseas airline.

Boston, Massachusetts (BOS)
Buffalo, New York (BUF)
Burlington, Vermont (BTV)
Charlotte, North Carolina (CLT)
Chicago, Illinois (ORD)
Dallas Love Field, Texas (DAL)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida (FLL)
Jacksonville, Florida (JAX)
Las Vegas, Nevada (LAS) *Hawaiian Airlines City
Long Beach, California (LGB)
Los Angeles, California (LAX) *Hawaiian Airlines City
Nantucket, Massachusetts (ACK)
New York, New York (JFK) *Hawaiian Airlines City
Newark, New Jersey (EWR)
Oakland, California (OAK) *Hawaiian Airlines City
Orlando, Florida (MCO)
Palm Beach, Florida (PBI)
Phoenix, Arizona (PHX) *Hawaiian Airlines City
Portland, Maine (PWM)
Portland, Oregon (PDX) *Hawaiian Airlines City
Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina (RDU)
Rochester, New York (ROC)
Sacramento, California (SMF) *Hawaiian Airlines City
San Diego, California (SAN) *Hawaiian Airlines City
San Francisco, California (SFO) *Hawaiian Airlines City
San Jose, California (SJC) *Hawaiian Airlines City
Savannah, Georgia (SAV)
Seattle, Washington (SEA) *Hawaiian Airlines City
Syracuse, New York (SYR)
Tampa Bay, Florida (TPA)
Washington DC, Washington DC (IAD)

Auckland, New Zealand (AKL) *Hawaiian Airlines City
Bangkok, Thailand (BKK)
Beijing, China (PEK) *Hawaiian Airlines City
Brisbane, Australia (BNE) *Hawaiian Airlines City
Busan, South Korea (PUS)
Changi, Singapore (SIN)
Fukuoka, Japan (FUK)
Guangzhou, China (CAN)
Hangzhou, China (HGH)
Hiroshima, Japan (HIJ)
Kagoshima, Japan (KOJ)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (KUL)
Oita, Japan (OIT)
Okinawa, Japan (OKA)
Osaka Itami, Japan (ITM)
Osaka Kansai, Japan (KIX) *Hawaiian Airlines City
Pago Pago, American Samoa (PPG) *Hawaiian Airlines City
Papeete, Tahiti (PPT) *Hawaiian Airlines City
Sapporo, Japan (CTS) *Hawaiian Airlines City
Seoul Incheon, South Korea (ICN) *Hawaiian Airlines City
Shanghai Hongqiao, China (SHA)
Shenyang, China (SHE)
Sydney, Australia (SYD) *Hawaiian Airlines City
Taipei, Taiwan (TPE)
Tokyo Haneda, Japan (HND) *Hawaiian Airlines City
Tokyo Narita, Japan (NRT) *Hawaiian Airlines City

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.