Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Any advice on best ways to use Hawaiian Airlines miles for value?

Old May 7, 16, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

I accumulated 100K HAwaiian miles before noticing that thye are not worth much for travel on HAwaiian Air or partners...
I will continue to use them to travel so how can I best assess whther or not to use them to earn miles with say AA or another partner?
Any advice on best ways to use HAwaiian miles for value?
Old May 8, 16, 10:57 am

Programs: TrueBlue/Hawaiian Miles
Originally Posted by toolate View Post
I accumulated 100K HAwaiian miles before noticing that thye are not worth much for travel on HAwaiian Air or partners...
I will continue to use them to travel so how can I best assess whther or not to use them to earn miles with say AA or another partner?
Any advice on best ways to use HAwaiian miles for value?
Do you plan on going back to Hawaii or are you a resident?

-With 100K miles-I think you can at least get a redemption for one RT and one OW ticket from the mainland to Hawaii at the "Coach Flex" rates. Never mind the "saver" ones that seem to be impossible to find most times.

So you COULD burn the miles for a trip to Hawaii in a few different combos. IIRC-to upgrade a paid ticket with miles is 25-50K (Saver/Flex) so you have the upgrade option for either 2 RT's or 1RT on a paid ticket.
Here's the chart (I'm guessing you've had a look see already)
http://hawaiianair.custhelp.com/app/.../award%20chart

-As far as partners go, when Mrs. FBWFTW and I fly Hawaiian, we credit to JetBlue and that's done wonders for our point balance (getting closer to our goal of JetBlue Mint tickets!) I believe there's also HHonors transfer/credit at 1-1.5 ratio (used to be 1-2 until ~2014) so that's a bigger "value" to turn your 100K Hawaiian Miles into 150K HHonors pts.

I hope I've helped you a little bit. I'm not the biggest expert here on miles- but I have used HA trips to credit to their partner B6 and researched the different partner options before.
Old May 8, 16, 11:03 am

After poking around a few other threads in the Hawaii forum-I found this interesting post by Slippahs. Hopefully it helps as well and perhaps Slippahs will catch this thread and have some advice for you as well!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18442637-post2.html
Old May 8, 16, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

THANKS!
Old May 9, 16, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by toolate View Post
THANKS!
A ole pilikia
Old May 10, 16, 1:07 am
Original Poster

seems like NO good Options! Wow : i wish I had known HOW GARBAGE Hawaian Miles are
Old May 10, 16, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

100,000 ff miles will have some use, as post 2.

The grass in not always greener on the other side

What are your objectives from a ffp?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
Old May 10, 16, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
The grass in not always greener on the other side
But the passenger experience in coach or extra comfort on Hawaiian is most definitely better than 90% of coach experiences out there going to Hawaii!
;-)

You've got at LEAST one RT ticket to paradise at the moment by my count
:-)
Old May 11, 16, 1:09 am
Original Poster

WEll I live here! I concur that the experience in coach is one of the best. Alaska maybe better imo. but 100K miles for a RT????
Old May 11, 16, 11:05 am

I think HA miles are of decent value when flying from mainland to a "neighbor island".

100k RT to/from where?
Old May 11, 16, 12:50 pm

Sorry toolate, but as you're finding out HA miles are at or near the bottom in terms of value. And they've been steadily getting less valuable for several years. I tend to only use the miles these days when I have to fly interisland and can't use another program's miles. It's a challenge to get more than $0.01/pt in redemption value. Ironically, HA posts this statement on their partner award chart page: "As with most airlines, the best mileage redemption opportunities are found on flights within your own program’s network (for example redeeming HawaiianMiles for flights on Hawaiian Airlines). "

With Virgin America now flying to Hawaii the partner award chart indicates that you should be able to book a RT from HNL to the east coast for 40k miles. I've been wanting to try that out, but I can't bring myself to accumulate any more HA miles. Plus, the chances are that even if I banked the necessary miles and found VX availability, the terrible HA CS agents wouldn't be able to book it for me.
Old May 11, 16, 1:37 pm
Community Director

I moved my Hawaiian Airline miles to Hilton. 100K Hawaiian miles gave me 150K Hilton miles. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and many won't find Hilton points of great value. For us, where my husband often needs stays in secondary markets at HGI, Hampton Inn, and the like, 150K goes far.
Old May 11, 16, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by saacman5033 View Post
It's a challenge to get more than $0.01/pt in redemption value.
For me, it's not difficult to find 1.2 to 1.6 cpp.
Old May 11, 16, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers View Post
For me, it's not difficult to find 1.2 to 1.6 cpp.
That's great if you don't have trouble getting strong value from HA miles. But from personal experience and from posts of many others on FT I'd say you're one of the lucky ones.

It's interesting to note that for a typical roundtrip to the west coast a ticket available at the super saver level of 40k miles would have to cost around $550 to yield a 1.2 cpp return or around $730 to yield a 1.6 cpp return. For the dates and places I have gone, especially lately, I'm just not seeing anything over $500 available at saver rates. And interisland redemptions aren't significantly more lucrative.
Old May 11, 16, 5:16 pm

Random flights/dates:

- SJC/HNL Fri 7/29 to Fri 8/5 $632 or 50k miles (1.26 cpp)
- SFO/OGG Fri 7/29 to Fri 8/2 $692 or 55k miles (1.26 cpp)
- OAK/LIH Fri 8/12 to Wed 8/17 $656 or 35k miles (1.87cpp)

Hmmm...not sure why you aren't able to achieve higher cpp.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: