Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Any advice on best ways to use Hawaiian Airlines miles for value?

Any advice on best ways to use Hawaiian Airlines miles for value?

Old May 31, 16, 6:12 am

I'm seeing a mileage discount on super saver awards (which is great!), but I'm not seeing any discount on other types of awards. So this discount only applies to super saver of awards? Does it also apply to first class super saver (assuming those ever show up again).
Old May 31, 16, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by skimple View Post
I'm seeing a mileage discount on super saver awards (which is great!), but I'm not seeing any discount on other types of awards. So this discount only applies to super saver of awards? Does it also apply to first class super saver (assuming those ever show up again).
Unsure if the discount applies only to super saver awards. There is no first class super saver, just first class saver which does show up (80k miles RT from North America to the islands).
Old Oct 29, 16, 8:50 pm

What can I do with 51k Hawaiian Miles?

Hello I have about 51k points with Barclays Hawaiian CC. I'm a novice to all this point stuff, but I heard some time ago, i can transfer the points to HH honors? Is this true? or are there other programs with more lucrative programs ?

Or should I just leave the points where they are now. Thank you.
Old Oct 29, 16, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by peggypwr1 View Post
Hello I have about 51k points with Barclays Hawaiian CC. I'm a novice to all this point stuff, but I heard some time ago, i can transfer the points to HH honors? Is this true? or are there other programs with more lucrative programs ?

Or should I just leave the points where they are now. Thank you.
Yes, you can convert Hawaiian miles to Hilton points at a 1:1.5 rate. Why did you get he Hawaiian miles in the first place? They're a pretty use-specific program and not a great one to amass miles without a strategy.
Old Oct 30, 16, 2:24 am

I flew there last november and they had a special deal for airline passengers for 50K points. Everyone else 35K points. Is it better to use the 50K for a vaca or transfer to Hilton Honors?

And if I wanted to transfer to HH, how do I do that?
Old Oct 30, 16, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by peggypwr1 View Post
I flew there last november and they had a special deal for airline passengers for 50K points. Everyone else 35K points. Is it better to use the 50K for a vaca or transfer to Hilton Honors?

And if I wanted to transfer to HH, how do I do that?
usually much better value per mile when using them for long haul flights. also check to see what airlines are Hawaiian partners where you can book flights on other airlines using Hawaiian miles. check the price of the flight/hotel night and then see how many miles it takes to get it and determine for yourself which gives you the most value per mile

http://hawaiianair.custhelp.com/app/...5WX3Eybg%3D%3D

here is a useful tool to help determine what points are worth
http://thepointsguy.com/2016/03/marc...ly-valuations/
Hilton points are generally valued at 0.5 cents per point, unfortunately they don't list a value for Hawaiian miles
Old Oct 30, 16, 6:16 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Moderator action

I have moved this thread from Credit Card Programs to the Hawaii-Based Airlines forum. Once the miles are in your airline account the fact that you earned them with a credit card does not change the redemption options or value. The members of this forum should be able to give you a good idea of the best redemption options, but it would be helpful to know how soon you might return to Hawaii, and some of your other travel destinations.
Old Oct 31, 16, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by g8trgr8t View Post
here is a useful tool to help determine what points are worth
http://thepointsguy.com/2016/03/marc...ly-valuations/
Hilton points are generally valued at 0.5 cents per point, unfortunately they don't list a value for Hawaiian miles
TPG does...see here:

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/10/octo...ly-valuations/
Old May 8, 17, 8:30 pm

Best strategy using my Hawaiian miles

I am strictly a recreational traveler. I do not obtain miles from business travel. My current mileage balances are:

Hawaiian Airlies: 19,000 miles
American Airlines: 5,900 miles

I have upcoming travel on American Airlines which will total approximately 8,600 miles.

If it makes any difference, I also have 2,800 miles with United.

What is the best strategy for combining and maximizing these miles for redemption on a single airline? How should I credit my upcoming American Airlines travel? I would be willing to pay the annual fee on a Hawaiian Airlines credit card to take advantage of the 35,000 mile bonus if that is part of the strategy.

I am posting on this Hawaii forum because most of my miles are with Hawaiian Airlines' program.

Thank you.
Old May 8, 17, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA Pua Plat
You can't earn HA miles on AA flights.
Old May 9, 17, 8:50 am

I am the original poster.

American Airlines says I can:

Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Hawaiian Airlines within Hawaii and between Hawaii and:
Asia
South Pacific

[E]arn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Hawaiian Airlines marketed and operated flights as well as Hawaiian Airlines codeshare flights operated by American Airlines

Link to American Airlines site

So how do I combine my American and Hawaiian miles?
Old May 9, 17, 9:00 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by stususs View Post
I am the original poster.

American Airlines says I can:

Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Hawaiian Airlines within Hawaii and between Hawaii and:
Asia
South Pacific

[E]arn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Hawaiian Airlines marketed and operated flights as well as Hawaiian Airlines codeshare flights operated by American Airlines

Link to American Airlines site

So how do I combine my American and Hawaiian miles?
This information you posted has to do with earning American AAdvantage miles when flying on Hawaiian Airlines. This doesn't say that the reciprocal of that - earning Hawaiian miles when flying on American - is also true, and it isn't. HA's list of partner airlines for earning Hawaiian miles does not include AA.

http://hawaiianair.custhelp.com/app/...etail/a_id/548

You can't combine AAdvantage miles and Hawaiian miles (unless they are available for exchange at Points.com but even if they are, that would entail a significant loss in the conversion process).

The best strategy is highly variable depending on one's individual circumstances. What are your travel goals and destinations?
Old May 9, 17, 9:18 am

A reasonable goal seems to be the 60,000 mile level with Hawaiian Airlines which then could be used on Hawaiian or Virgin Atlantic.

The Hawaiian Airlines credit card promotion gets me 35,000 miles for a cost of $109 (the $89 annual fee, plus $20 in lost 2% cashback on $1000 in purchases).

But if I am unable to combine my past and future American Airlines mileage then the goal is harder to reach.

And if my existing Hawaiian miles cannot be used in American's program, then I am probably out of luck.

I shall continue to book the best fares that I can, without regard to frequent flyer programs.
Old May 10, 17, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by stususs View Post
A reasonable goal seems to be the 60,000 mile level ...HA credit card gets 35,000 miles
You'll get 36k w/$1k purchase + 19k = 55k. You can either put all future purchases on HA CC until you hit 60k or buy HA miles @ $14.78/500 if needed for immediate tvl.

Or if you have Amex MR points, transfer for nominal fee.
Old May 16, 17, 10:07 am

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
instead of the 35k offer...if you do a dummy booking on the Hawaiian website you will likely see a 50k mile offer from Barclay's (my wife just took advantage of it). Doing that puts you at over 70k including the minimum spend to hit the bonus.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: