Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Haneda Applications are in: HA goes from HNL/KOA hybrid

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2016, 4:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

The DoT is requiring all airlines to reapply for Haneda service with the shift to daytime slots. HA has applied to keep its HNL service and add a HNL/KOA hybrid as well.

I think that HNL keeps its slot and that the HNL/KOA hybrid has a very strong chance of being awarded as it is one of the only ones I'm aware of listed as willing to take a night slot. If awarded that would serve HNL 4x weekly and KOA 3x weekly.

UA applied for EWR/SFO. AA for LAX/DFW. DL for LAX/MSP/ATL.

More details/analysis of the new Haneda slot applications on my blog if anyone cares.

(Bold codes are the cities with existing service)
Old Apr 21, 2016, 7:50 pm

Very interesting and detailed blog!
Old Apr 26, 2016, 1:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Been a while since KOA has seen Japan service...
Old May 6, 2016, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As the only applicant for the nighttime frequency, HA is certain to win that one. I would not bank on HA winning a second frequency - I don't see the DoT providing one-third of the USA's six slots so that HA can carry Japanese beach tourists. Sure, that boosts the economy of the islands, but HA doesn't provide nonstop service from the lower 48 to business people who prefer HND over NRT. HA could always begin new flights to NRT and achieve the same benefits to the economy.

Here is HA's answer:

https://www.regulations.gov/#!docume...2016-0048-0011

Here is the docket in case someone wants to read the other filings:

https://www.regulations.gov/#!docket...-OST-2016-0048
Old May 6, 2016, 9:20 pm

It seems like they're a victim of their own success because other airlines applying have pointed to the success HA already has with their nighttime slots and how the daytime ones would only be a couple hours earlier.
Old May 13, 2016, 4:22 pm

Hawaiian has been awarded the nighttime frequency (for 4x HNL and 3x KOA weekly) as they were the only ones to apply for it.
Old May 17, 2016, 1:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
How will they do international from KONA? Theres no customs/boarder control area.
Old May 17, 2016, 1:49 pm
azj

Originally Posted by tattikat2
How will they do international from KONA? Theres no customs/boarder control area.
There have been international operations there in the past, so it can be done. There are provisions for a temporary facility, while a permanent facility is built as a part of the KOA modernization project. HAL has until January at the latest to start the service, so there is still some time to find a solution to this challenge.
Old May 17, 2016, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Can't they just reopen the FIS north of terminal 1 that's already there? They didn't tear it down, did they?

Last edited by Kumulani; May 17, 2016 at 4:20 pm
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA, HA, CO
Tentative decision is in from the DOT on the 5 daytime HND slots:
HA: HNL
UA: SFO
AA: LAX
DL: LAX, MSP

Docket link below:
https://www.regulations.gov/document...2016-0048-0070

Assuming this is finalised, HA will have two slots to HND...the daytime slot for daily HNL-HND and the new night slot for split HNL/KOA that was awarded to them two months ago.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 2:05 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by tattikat2
There are Canadian flights, but for those the customs is done on the Canadian end...
Old Aug 19, 2016, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by msp3
There are Canadian flights, but for those the customs is done on the Canadian end...
There were plans to pre clear in Tokyo, not sure if they are still working on this?

Also with new flight that will be 5 Japan flights a day (Narita, Haneda X2, Kansia and Chitose-Sapporo, is the airline with most flight between Japan and Hawaii?
Old Aug 19, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by inlandrev
There were plans to pre clear in Tokyo, not sure if they are still working on this?

Also with new flight that will be 5 Japan flights a day (Narita, Haneda X2, Kansai and Chitose-Sapporo, is the airline with most flight between Japan and Hawaii?
Yeah, it was once DL with 2 747s/1 A330 to NRT, 1 747 to KIX, and one 767 to NGO and FUK. The decline of the Yen hit them very hard. Also JAL is in much better financial shape compared to five years ago.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by inlandrev
Tokyo Narita, not Haneda. No idea if it's moving forward or not. Haven't seen any news on that since 2015.

But I recently read somewhere that Japan is looking at doing it as well in South Korea and Taiwan, but not in Hawaii.
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...pre-clearance/

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Aug 23, 2016 at 5:04 am
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:51 pm

As far as I know the plan for now is a stop in PHNL for customs. For 1 flight CBP is not willing to pay to send agents to Kona and back the days of the flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.