Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HNL-SYD Fares/Seats

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2016, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
HNL-SYD Fares/Seats

I wanted to ask if anyone had any impression as to Hawaiian's product HNL-SYD. It's a LONG flight [1] but it's also a not-impractical alternative to the "direct" option (and as an added bonus, I can take VX directly to HNL), especially if the alternative ends up being 16 hours in Economy.

I'm also wondering if HA's "Business Class" product HNL-SYD:
(1) Is a fixed-price item?
(2) Is likely to get upgraded with the lie-flats by December?

[1] Not as long as the direct LAX-SYD/BNE, mind you, but it would still be about twice as long as the longest I've done in a plane in the last...16 years less two weeks, and THAT was done when I was 13 and going to France with my parents...and I suspect that I was less discerning as to airline seats and so on at the time.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 4:51 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
The business class service is very good for a non-Asian carrier. The seat is acceptable for a 10-hour flight, but as you note, is not lie-flat. The food is pretty good.

I would never do it in economy, but that is a choice available to some and not to others.

Fixed Price? Yes: No negotiating allowed...

Lie flats when you want to fly? Who knows? My assumption is that they will introduce this first on the longest flights, and HNL-SYD qualifies.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I'm surprisingly good with a fixed-price item, actually. It takes a good deal of stress off of the booking since I'm date-flexible and thus gives me an option if nothing premium-class opens up on VA. I'd obviously prefer a lie-flat option, but c'est la vie.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:45 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest
My wife and I are looking into the HNL / BNE and AKL / HNL flights -- but long enough in the future that I figure the new configurations will be in place in business class (we're looking 18+ months out). I'm quite pleased to see the plans for lie flats on those flights by then.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA, HA
Yeah, those lie-flats can't get here soon enough to my mind.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
If you fly it before lie flats are available, the best value in my opinion is to buy an Extra Comfort seat in row 11. You're basically in the business/first cabin, it's almost as good for tons less $$$. The HA recliner business/first seats are nothing to write home about.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: AS MVPG UA CO HA
I did SEA-HNL-BNE and home again back in November. Business trip for the wife, she had F the whole way. I wasn't willing to pay the price and couldn't get an upgrade at check-in. Did the outbound trip all in coach and had just a 45 min stop in HNL.

Brutal is the only word I can use. It was rough. Return I was able to upgrade for just under $300 during check-in. Sure F isn't the same without the lie-flats. But it is very doable for SYD or BNE. Service was great, meal quite good.

Having a stop in HNL helps break it up. Going again in October. If the lie-flats are there then maybe HA otherwise the wife wants Qantas or VA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.