Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Redeeming HA miles on Virgin America to Hawaii?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2015, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT

It very difficult now to get award seats from JFK to HNL on HA metal on the lower tier awards (unless you want to go mid week mid Sep to mid Nov when kids are back in school).

I have a lot of HA miles and wondering if it is realistically possible to redeem them to fly on Virgin America to Hawaii. It is the same rate of 20K 1 way per person as HA.

What is award inventory like on Virgin America and how do you check if before calling Hawaiian? This is the only realistic option I see for my HA miles to get to Hawaii or else I have have to move them over to Hilton.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Many have reported their frustrations about trying to redeem HA awards on partners. Please let us know of your success. I have never been successful.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 7:47 pm

Programs: TrueBlue/Hawaiian Miles
Originally Posted by miles_navigator
It very difficult now to get award seats from JFK to HNL on HA metal on the lower tier awards (unless you want to go mid week mid Sep to mid Nov when kids are back in school).

I have a lot of HA miles and wondering if it is realistically possible to redeem them to fly on Virgin America to Hawaii. It is the same rate of 20K 1 way per person as HA.

What is award inventory like on Virgin America and how do you check if before calling Hawaiian? This is the only realistic option I see for my HA miles to get to Hawaii or else I have have to move them over to Hilton.
FYI-I just returned from a JFK-HNL trip (Thu 12/3 HA51-Thu 12/10 HA50) where we had 4 RT saver awards for 200K miles-we booked the tix in January however we did have to adjust our trip because there was no availablity for the days we really wanted. When we searched, it was either too many days closer to Thanksgiving one way and Xmas the other way with zero availablity! This was also on the old site-haven't tried it on the new one yet! I keep cursing history because if the Japanese had attacked in January/February, our yearly trek with my Grandfather for Pearl Harbor day would be in the dead of winter instead of in between major holidays ;-p Good luck and report back on the VX! We're considering that or a WC-HI flight for next year because Gramps wasn't a fan of the nonstop JFK-HNL...
Old Dec 6, 2016, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
No award travel on Virgin America from Hawaii to LAX/SFO allowed using HA miles!

Originally Posted by 747FC
Many have reported their frustrations about trying to redeem HA awards on partners. Please let us know of your success. I have never been successful.
So I finally got to calling Hawaiian Miles service center to redeem OGG --> SFO/LAX --> EWR/JFK and was told that we can't redeem Hawaiian miles on the leg to/from Hawaii since HA services that route. Go figure, that detail is not mentioned anywhere in their information!

Look like no luck for me in using my stash of Hawaiian miles, I am just need to bite the bullet and convert them to HI points.

Anyone able to redeem on Virgin America across the Pacific?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.