Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

HNL TSA Precheck Security Line Changes eff. 10/23/2015

Old Nov 3, 15, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: HA Pualani Platinum, National EC Executive, UA & AAdvantage

HA recently sent out an email to elite members regarding changes to the HNL Precheck security line. This is on top of the already TSA announced reduction of Precheck privileges to frequent flyers who do not have a KTN aka those that "opted in" via the frequent flyer programs at the start of the Precheck program.

Here's what the email states:
The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has made changes to their PreCheck program, eliminating the managed inclusion of select passengers to their PreCheck lanes. Effectively, this means that if you are not a current Global Entry or TSA PreCheck member, you are no longer likely to get access to the PreCheck lanes.

As you may have seen, at peak traveling times (between 11am to 2pm HST), the TSA-managed checkpoint lines at Honolulu International Airport and other airports can be long. As a Pualani Elite member, you can still use our First Class/Pualani Elite/Premier Club line at Honolulu International Airport, however during peak hours, the TSA may also decide to divert this line for additional layers of screening. The colored area in the map below highlights the additional security lines with K9 security check, which are often implemented during peak hours between 11am to 2pm.
The same message above and a diagram can be found here: http://hawaiianair.custhelp.com/app/...069/kw/tsa#new

So if you are a Pualani Platinum or Pualani Gold member, First class passenger or Premier Club member and you do NOT have a KTN, you or the dedicated First Class/Elite/Premier Club line can be diverted during peak time (11AM-2PM) to the additional security layer line.
Old Nov 3, 15, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
So basically during peak times, EVERYONE has to go through the K-9 line, then it breaks off into Premium vs. General Boarding?

That's a terrible system.
Old Nov 3, 15, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by IceTrojan View Post
So basically during peak times, EVERYONE has to go through the K-9 line, then it breaks off into Premium vs. General Boarding?

That's a terrible system.
Not EVERYONE, only those without a KTN. The diagram shows two lines, on the left K-9, right TSA Pre and GE.
Old Nov 3, 15, 8:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is relatively the same at most US airports now:

1. Pre-Check (almost 100% KTN required).
2. Premium (somewhat shorter wait, but standard screening).
3. All else (standard screening).

TSA announced this roughly 2 years ago, so no great surprises.
Old Nov 3, 15, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by tdowl5757 View Post
Not EVERYONE, only those without a KTN. The diagram shows two lines, on the left K-9, right TSA Pre and GE.
Sorry, in my mind I meant everyone without a KTN. I blame the late hour.
Old Nov 11, 15, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I went through HNL security at 9pm on Monday night. Usually, it's a zoo but this time it was reasonable. There were 3 lines open (Regular, Gold Lane, and Pre Check). Nobody was going through Pre-Check (the TSA agents were just stnading there). The regular line and gold lane were "normal" length. It probably took about 10 minutes to get through (which is reasonable to me).
Old Nov 13, 15, 5:02 pm

Sadly it seems that paying $85 for Pre or $100 for GE is now worth it.

Seamless "free" transition for me in April thanks to Amex Plat, and so far 100% Pre on all airlines/flights. Realize YMMV.

Last several HNL HA 50 took 3 - 5 min through security.
Old May 28, 17, 2:08 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels & Radisson Hotel Group

We had a weird experience at the interisland terminal last week: Everybody seemed to have Precheck. Around 11am on Friday, the Precheck line backed up past the first checkin carousel.

It's possible that people just joined the line as it was snaking through the terminal and were then turned away by the ID checker, but the regular line was much shorter. Also, my non-Pre/GE travel companion had Precheck on her BP.

We ended up walking over to the main terminal where there was nobody in the Precheck line.
Old Jun 1, 17, 9:37 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
I find TSA pre totally worth it and wish other countries would offer something similar as its an utter pain having to pull everything out the bag all the time. However one thing I have noticed is that on some business heavy routes that you end up with a nearly as long line in TSA Pre as the normal one
Old Jun 1, 17, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by cgtechuk View Post
I find TSA pre totally worth it and wish other countries would offer something similar as its an utter pain having to pull everything out the bag all the time. However one thing I have noticed is that on some business heavy routes that you end up with a nearly as long line in TSA Pre as the normal one
I'd rather have a longer line of business travelers than Mr. and Mrs. Dippity Doohead who have never previously been in the Pre line in front of me.
Old Jun 2, 17, 7:52 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
I'd rather have a longer line of business travelers than Mr. and Mrs. Dippity Doohead who have never previously been in the Pre line in front of me.
This is very true, But from someone who travels with liquids a tablet and a laptop most of my hand luggage has to be emptied for screening in non pre lines lol
Old Jun 2, 17, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
Far more "DD's" in regular lines......
Old Jun 2, 17, 7:21 pm

Somewhat different than what was talked about in the OP, but today the precheck line at the interisland terminal was requiring precheck members to remove laptops from bags. Is that normal here? It's been a while since I've flown through here.
Old Jun 3, 17, 1:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by eeflyer View Post
Somewhat different than what was talked about in the OP, but today the precheck line at the interisland terminal was requiring precheck members to remove laptops from bags. Is that normal here? It's been a while since I've flown through here.
I haven't run into it at HNL, but that sounds like the expedited screening you get as a precheck passenger when precheck is closed. Shoes stay on but laptops and liquids come out (with the former more commonly enforced than the latter). Happens pretty frequently at ITO.
Old Jun 3, 17, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by WrightHI View Post
I haven't run into it at HNL, but that sounds like the expedited screening you get as a precheck passenger when precheck is closed. Shoes stay on but laptops and liquids come out (with the former more commonly enforced than the latter). Happens pretty frequently at ITO.
Yes it was similar to that. I get the "precheck-lite" experience at LIH quite often as well. It was a little strange since liquids were kept in the bag, just "any electronic device with a keyboard" as instructed by the agent. I was thinking it may have been because they were running the precheck lanes right next to the regular screening. The only difference was whether one went through the metal detector or other scanner. They checked BPs before walking through, but otherwise there was no separation.

Of course those were minor issues compared to the families in the precheck line that had no idea what they were doing. According to the dad they signed up because "a family friend told them that he-go" Good thing my pidgin isn't too rusty

Search this Thread
Search Engine: