Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hawaiian Airlines A330" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 3, 2023, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
HA's official web page on the lie flats

24 aircraft converted: N360HA, N361HA, N370HA, N373HA, N374HA, N375HA, N378HA, N379HA, N380HA, N381HA, N382HA, N383HA, N384HA, N385HA, N386HA, N388HA, N389HA, N390HA, N391HA, N392HA, N393HA, N395HA, N396HA, N399HA
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Hawaiian Airlines A330" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2016, 7:45 am

Does anyone know of F pricing has increased on the LAX-OGG route? I'm fly out of the SFO or OAK so not familiar with historically pricing.
Old May 25, 2016, 11:46 am
azj

Originally Posted by Troopers
Does anyone know of F pricing has increased on the LAX-OGG route? I'm fly out of the SFO or OAK so not familiar with historically pricing.
Until HA can guarantee the plane will be on certain routes, I doubt they will start pricing it accordingly. Even though LAX-OGG-LAX is where the plane will initially fly, it could end up elsewhere. Just a hunch.
Old May 25, 2016, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by whjensen
You may be right, but I wonder about load utilization. Moving the A320s on the HNL-LAX routes makes total sense, as you can convert 2 A330 into 3 A320 flights easily with almost an exact match. But SEA, SFO, and the rest of the West Coast have one flight a day, yes? So roughly 280 seats in the new config? The A320s have 190 seats. So it's not an easy switch to move from 1 A330 to either 1 A320 or 2 A320s unless capacity in and out of the airport is completely bonked anyways. I take the SEA-OGG flight a couple times a year and it seems to be full every time, but I wouldn't want to be the exec betting that I'd fill an extra 100 seats per day OR give AS or DL a leg up on a premium route. You guys who are regular would know more - are they planning to expand daily service to the West coast cities?

FYI, I'll withhold judgment until I'm finally get to fly one of these, but yes - that seat looks HARD! And, as someone said, yeah, it doesn't really compare to the international J that we're used to, but it might incent me to take a redeye back home instead of the afternoon flight from the West coast!
Why would LAX-HNL move to A320? HA flies 2x daily A330 year-round and seasonal 3x and 4x daily. Going to 3x A320 year-round will only increase cost without improving yield since this is not a route where frequency matters that much. It's all about capacity.

A320 will be used to go daily from KOA/OGG/LIH to LAX/SFO/SEA. Or HNL to smaller mainland markets.
Old May 26, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: TrueBlue/Hawaiian Miles
It has on certain dates/days thru August. One day it's $647 or even $636 one way in F and then another it's $1874 one way.

Here's a sampling of a couple dates each in August and October. I confirmed the seatmap thru then (subject to change of course!)

Last edited by FBWFTW; May 26, 2016 at 11:14 am
Old May 26, 2016, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by FBWFTW
It has on certain dates/days thru August. One day it's $647 or even $636 one way in F and then another it's $1874 one way.

Here's a sampling of a couple dates each in August and October. I confirmed the seatmap thru then (subject to change of course!)
Thanks...interesting. Do you know if the pricing is higher than previous years with old F seats?

Also, any guesses if OAK-HNL will have new F by late Sept? Thinking about a speculative F booking in hopes of new F.
Old May 26, 2016, 5:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Bonvoy Silver; OneWorld Sapphire; Miss Traveling for Work
Thanks...interesting. Do you know if the pricing is higher than previous years with old F seats?

Also, any guesses if OAK-HNL will have new F by late Sept? Thinking about a speculative F booking in hopes of new F.
You never know. I don't think you can speculate. Based on what has been reported on this board (such as below) by people who know much more than I, the odds would not be in your favor. Someone else quoted a time per plane for refit of around a month, IIRC, so by end of September they'll have at max 2 planes refitted. Doesn't rule anything out but I don't think anyone would be able to guess correctly.

Originally Posted by azj
The first aircraft is back from modifications and will enter service toward the end of the month on the LAX-OGG-LAX route. The mod schedule will resume in September after the busy summer schedule. No further word on which routes will see the new cabins. I suspect that as the modifications roll out, HA will not commit to any specific route and it may just be a function of tail routing. A/C aren't assigned routes, but rotate through the network based on various needs behind the scenes. The first mod has taken about 5 weeks, so at that rate, there will be a handful of modified planes flying the system by the end of the year.
Old May 26, 2016, 6:20 pm
azj

Originally Posted by whjensen
You never know. I don't think you can speculate. Based on what has been reported on this board (such as below) by people who know much more than I, the odds would not be in your favor. Someone else quoted a time per plane for refit of around a month, IIRC, so by end of September they'll have at max 2 planes refitted. Doesn't rule anything out but I don't think anyone would be able to guess correctly.
To update this... the first one has taken 5 weeks but the estimate subsequent planes to take in the 2-3 week timeframe. This make more sense as they had said they were expecting 8 planes to be done by the end of the year. When this launched the other day during the media event, HA said that there would be further announcements regarding routes and more onboard amenities in the fall.
Old May 27, 2016, 3:07 am

Programs: HA Platinum, UA Silver
Originally Posted by FBWFTW

http://s33.postimg.cc/hgwoyfe3z/image.jpg
I was looking to fly HNL-OGG-LAX rt in first in June to try out the new seat and saw the price discrepancy with flying HNL-LAX nonstop.

Made me wonder if LAX-OGG was chosen as the trial route because it has the highest percentage of PAID first. Just a thought . . .

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 27, 2016 at 3:45 am Reason: image removal
Old May 27, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: TrueBlue/Hawaiian Miles
Originally Posted by Mokuea
I was looking to fly HNL-OGG-LAX rt in first in June to try out the new seat and saw the price discrepancy with flying HNL-LAX nonstop.

Made me wonder if LAX-OGG was chosen as the trial route because it has the highest percentage of PAID first. Just a thought . . .
I would think that you're right on that angle-I started but never posted a reply on Maui being a "premium" destination. (my thinking here is based on my own research for hotels/airfare) Couple that with the fact that the plane wouldn't ever be too far away from PDX (or was it PAE where the refit was done?) or the HNL base where they can certainly work bugs out or iron out any issues.
But as you said, LAX-OGG seems to have higher fares than LAX-HNL. Dunno if that's a function of nonstop frequency or just the island itself. I'm sure one of the folks more "in the know" could better comment.
Old May 31, 2016, 5:12 pm

Congratulations to HA for entering the lie flat market - it's about time. When UA eventually converts all of it's domestic 777's flying into and out of HNL into lie flat, HA will certainly be at a competitive advantage because UA is going 2-4-2 lie flat vs. HA's 2-2-2 lie flat and what seems like direct aisle access - even for window seat flyers. Being based in GUM, I would certainly give HA a try if they flew here. HA reminds me of the former Air Micronesia Days on all fronts. Nice to see HA trying to make their mark.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by azj
I guess I don't understand your dilemma. The seating is 2x2x2 with aisle access for everyone. Your situation on HA could be just like what you've got on AA. You and the little one in the window/aisle pair and the wife across the aisle.
Well actually AA sometimes sends newly reconfigured 763s to OGG in a 1x2x1 configuration up front.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 11:09 pm

Booked ogg-lax in early July to try this out. I grabbed a center bulkhead - couldn't find any real photos that had the bulkhead in the shot - think this is a better or worse seat than center row 2?
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by pesos
Booked ogg-lax in early July to try this out. I grabbed a center bulkhead - couldn't find any real photos that had the bulkhead in the shot - think this is a better or worse seat than center row 2?
Thought the new product wasn't coming out until September and then it would be most likely on the international routes first.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Thought the new product wasn't coming out until September and then it would be most likely on the international routes first.
The one converted plane (so far) is being tested on ogg-lax for the summer is what I gleaned from the others posting on this thread - the seat selection when I booked bore that out as it shows the new configuration...
Old Jun 8, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by pesos
The one converted plane (so far) is being tested on ogg-lax for the summer is what I gleaned from the others posting on this thread - the seat selection when I booked bore that out as it shows the new configuration...
Gottcha.... Thanks... Something to consider as well...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.