Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Island Air - AVOID at all COSTS!

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2015, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum

I booked, and recently flew, Island Air flights both directions from Maui to HNL. The experience was not a pleasant one, especially when compared with Hawaiian.

First, in HNL, one must make the long trek to the "inter-island terminal." It is a long walk, and there is no pre-check once there.

The planes are old, quite noisy, and dirty. Seat pitch is a painful 30" and seats are very narrow.

Upon check-in in OGG on the return, I was informed that carry-on bags have a maximum weight of 16 pounds...really??? That's like, a laptop and a couple pairs of shoes. I was given the option of "shifting the weight around ( to what, I asked)" or being forced to pay $15.00 to check a bag. Thankfully I had enough time in HNL to collect the bag before connecting onto a UA flight to NRT.

Needless to say, when flying inter-island, I'm sticking with Hawaiian. It's no wonder that this airline has financial troubles. I hope it goes under.

Last edited by UAPremierGuy; May 18, 2015 at 4:45 pm Reason: Correct gramatical error
Old May 17, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Was it cheaper than Hawaiian?
Old May 29, 2015, 2:03 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
with go! gone, there is normally NEVER a line at the commuter terminal.. I'd much rather deal with them than the pre-check line at I/I or even the mainland terminal.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:03 pm

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy

Needless to say, when flying inter-island, I'm sticking with Hawaiian. It's no wonder that this airline has financial troubles. I hope it goes under.
'going under' would mean the loss of customer choice, competition and, more importantly local jobs. I hope your remark was made in the heat of the moment.

For a flight of less than 30 minutes in the air, I'm sure the seat pitch is manageable and for small aircraft, cabin baggage weight/size is always limited. Try to worry about the more important things in life.
Old May 30, 2015, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by gooseman13
Was it cheaper than Hawaiian?
UA sells codeshare flights from OGG to HNL on both Hawaiian and Island Air. Depending on itinerary and preferences, the Island Air flights are often first on the list and not always cheaper.

If you don't know or realize the difference between the two carriers , you can be in for disappointment.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA

I do not think island air will ever go under as I believe it's now owned by Larry Ellison.

Most island air flights if not all are turbo prop planes vs ha Boeing 717s in HI (except ohana)

HA has changed inter island 717 seat configuration to about 30 inch pitch and NO recline to install more seats in each plane

So it's really a crap shoot on the interisland flights
Sigh
Old Jun 18, 2015, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by MichaelBaku
'going under' would mean the loss of customer choice, competition and, more importantly local jobs. I hope your remark was made in the heat of the moment.
I can think of several companies that I wish would "go under". Lots of businesses do unethical things. A tiny minority of those businesses do horrendous things in the name of profit.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 11:30 pm
B1

Update - Island Air in decline

I had been on Island Air a long time ago and it was fine so I booked it for today. It was on time and service was fine. They told me my carry on weighed twenty pounds and I'd have to remove 5 pounds or pay $15 and check it. So the fare was lower than HA but they have this ridiculous carry-on policy that kills any savings. I noticed that those who did make the cut didn't actually carry onto the plane - they do a sky check outside the plane the way every other turboprop does. The check-in agent made up a story about weight distribution that made no sense. So it's a dishonest business practice to price gouge. I also noticed that they now only fly from HNL to OGG and then to Lanai because Ellison owns his business there I assume. Finally, the ATR 72 is weird - loads with a ramp without stairs from the aft section of the plane - so the last row is first off. Island Air had Dash-8s, which are more modern and have a better safety record. Mahalo Airlines had the ATRs and went bankrupt long ago. Island Air is heading that way too.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 5:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HHonors Gold VIP, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by B1
Mahalo Airlines had the ATRs and went bankrupt long ago. Island Air is heading that way too.
Are you saying that Hawaiian will go that way too because they have ATR's as well???
Old Dec 22, 2015, 11:51 am
B1

Originally Posted by PDXFlyBoy
Are you saying that Hawaiian will go that way too because they have ATR's as well???
Of course not - it should be obvious that I meant ATRs as their entire fleet. When HA gives up on jets, then they will be on the same path .
Old Jan 3, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA

Larry is selling Island Air to an investment group
Old Jan 3, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Tony10s
Larry is selling Island Air to an investment group
Here is the news:

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3...ell-island-air
Old Jan 6, 2016, 4:13 pm

And Sold
Larry retains a non controlling stake
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA, HA
I want to know what this investment group could do to turn around Island, make it more competitive with HA.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TheTakeOffRush
I want to know what this investment group could do to turn around Island, make it more competitive with HA.
Well - for starters

1) They need a route system. Maui and Lanai alone likely will not cut it.

2) The planes need to be on time

3) They need at least a 20%+ discount to HA to overcome flying on prop plane.

4) Need a better partnership/codeshare model than HA for connecting traffic - and they need a good way to get the connecting traffic to that awful commuter terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.