Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

2017 onwards - Consolidated "Standby for HA Inter-island flights?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2017 onwards - Consolidated "Standby for HA Inter-island flights?" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2017, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
The GA issue may be part of it. I noticed there are fewer of them around. Seems like the same few go from gate to gate as flights arrive & depart. It's hard to find them sometimes.

It probably would be easier/better if they simply standardized the fares and run the flights like the buses they are. If you have a ticket and there is a seat available for sale when the plane is at the gate, then it's available to standby. Nothing fancy or difficult, just let people get on a flight if it's nearly empty.

But that causes the checked luggage issue, of which I assume is significant for flights from the mainland.

There's no real easy answer I guess
Old Jun 28, 2017, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by WrightHI
Fair enough. My guess is that they don't do it because of some combination of IT inadequacy and GA workload, but they handle pretty significant standby lists already, and it couldn't be that hard to collect payment information away from the gate so that it wouldn't slow GAs down at the last minute.
HA has always struggled on the IT side.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
HNL-OGG on Hawaiian, ticketed by UA--standby?

Hi all, I searched and couldn't find a recent thread about this. If I'm ticketed on United AUS-LAX-HNL-OGG and there's a 2.5 hour gap between HNL and OGG, can I standby on Hawaiian for an earlier flight? No checked bags. Thanks!
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Simple answer is "no". Those days are gone. In years (long) past, one could hang at gate and HA'd board you if space available. Later, they instituted a flat $25 change fee to change your flight. Now it's fare difference. You can go to a HA service counter and they'll tell you how much more you'll have to cough up to change flights. This is one of the reasons HA is pretty profitable right now. Demise of Aloha and Island Air gives HA a lot of room to skim more money. UA isn't going to touch the HA segment.
ginmqi likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 31, 2019 at 10:39 am
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by JNelson113
Hi all, I searched and couldn't find a recent thread about this. If I'm ticketed on United AUS-LAX-HNL-OGG and there's a 2.5 hour gap between HNL and OGG, can I standby on Hawaiian for an earlier flight? No checked bags. Thanks!
I do this a lot when I stop in LIH on my way home from HKG. Get into HNL and want to catch the earlier flight-- they charge usually $25 to do this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Standby I think is up to $30 plus fare difference which can be substantial. Certain fares are not eligible for standby which are certain Hawaiian web fares which don’t look to apply in your case.

You shoukd plan on taking your original flight but you can always head to the service desk and ask.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jp12687
I do this a lot when I stop in LIH on my way home from HKG. Get into HNL and want to catch the earlier flight-- they charge usually $25 to do this.
Is that an average cost or a flat fee? When was last time that you did that if it was a flat fee?
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Yes, subject to Hawaiian's standby policy.

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Very helpful information, thank you all!
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:53 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
While the UA forum has some regular users of HA, this is more appropriate for HA forum -- so will move this thread there for the HA regulars to provide input.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Mary2e
The policy really doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Those flights operate more like bus service between the islands.

It would be good business to get people out of the terminal and on to their destinations as soon as they can in the event of irrops or weather. I often give myself a few hours if I need to go interisland from the mainland and end up sitting in the terminal waiting for at least an hour when flights are leaving that aren't necessarily full.
I agree. Most airlines are happy to move a passenger early if they have the space. You never know what's going to go wrong later. I recently had three hours between UA from Narita to HA and KOA. I asked to be changed and was charged a change fee. While waiting at the gate for the new flight, an announcement was made asking later passengers to step forward if they wanted to go early, for free. HA is a horrible airline IMHO. I'll be happy to see Southwest get here and give them some real competition.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by jimmc66
HA is a horrible airline IMHO. I'll be happy to see Southwest get here and give them some real competition.
As would I. It's very clear that a monopolistic market benefits the corporation and their shareholders but services and customer experience noticeably declines.

When I tried to get on an earlier inter-island flight for a standby last year they quoted me cost is the fare difference + a change fee!! (I think it was $30? not sure now)
Old May 15, 2021, 4:09 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Does anyone have any recent data points here? Especially since Covid has happened. Are they being more flexible with being able to standby for inter island flights?
Old May 23, 2021, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
Does anyone have any recent data points here? Especially since Covid has happened. Are they being more flexible with being able to standby for inter island flights?
As far as I'm aware same-day standby is only available to elites or customers who've booked through the corporate travel program.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
If I want to standby/same-day change onto an interisland connection that is just under the MCT (and therefore cannot be ticketed when booking), am I SOL?

For context, if flying LAX-HNL-LIH, HA1 arrives at 9:50. The first legal connection HA will sell is on HA273, departing at 12:00. HA253, departing at 10:40, would be a 50-minute connection, which is 15 minutes under MCT but doable if HA1 arrives on time. I'll have no checked bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.