Hawaiian Air question about airfare

Old May 17, 14, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Please pardon the ignorance but I am looking at booking airfare from Seattle-Kahului for spring break 2015 but they want almost $2000 for 2 for coach seats. I was poking around and noticed that if I choose to go from Seattle-Honolulu on the same dates the price drops $600 but still goes to Kahului each way. The flights are

Departure flight
SEA-OGG
OGG-HNL

Return flight
HNL-OGG
OGG-SEA

My question is to save $600 buck why not book this and skip the interisland flights to and from HNL? If we do not check a bag going then we just deplane in Kahului and miss the interisland to Honolulu. But on the return flight can we just check-in at Kahului and return home on the mainland flight? Would missing the interisland flight raise an eyebrow or cause issues? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old May 17, 14, 10:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Once you skip any flight on the itinerary, all the rest of the flights are cancelled.

You would be stuck on Maui.

Which might not be all bad.
Old May 18, 14, 3:32 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP

Called a hidden city itinerary and expressly prohibited on most all carriers except Southwest. The closest Southwest can get you to OGG is where you are starting from.
Old May 18, 14, 3:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What all of this boils down to is that when you don't board your OGG-HNL, the remaining three segments (OGG-HNL, HNL-OGG and OGG-SEA, will not only be canceleld by have $0 value). Thus, you would be stuck at OGG having to buy a new ticket back to SEA.

They really aren't that dumb !
Old May 18, 14, 10:34 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
FWIW, chances are decent that you'll see a better fare at some point over the coming months if you wait and keep checking. Spring break is bad, but $1000/seat is really unusually bad.
Old May 20, 14, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Hypothetical question, what if the OP booked the inbound and outbound as one way flights (so separate itineraries), and they were priced the same as round trip?
Old May 23, 14, 9:09 am

He'd still be stuck in Maui as his return OGG-SEA leg would be cancelled as soon as he failed to show up for the HNL-OGG flight.

Search this Thread