Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Hawaiian Air boosts interisland bag fees for non-frequent fliers

Old Feb 28, 14, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

From today's Star Advertiser http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...?id=247930671:

Hawaiian Airlines, seeking to encourage more passengers to become frequent fliers, is raising its fees for non-HawaiianMiles members on interisland routes from 47 percent to more than double for checked bags.

Non-HawaiianMiles members will see their fees increased to $25, from $17, on a first checked bag and more than double to $35, from $17, on a second checked bag.

The changes will be in effect for tickets purchased on or after March 10, Hawaiian said Friday.
And here is the Baggage Fees and Policies page at Hawaiian Air

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 28, 14 at 10:08 pm Reason: noncompliance with http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#q91
Old Feb 28, 14, 8:09 pm

money grab taking advantage of folks who book interisland on HA together with mainland flights on other carriers

aloha spirit my foot...
Old Feb 28, 14, 8:32 pm

Programs: US CP; AA LTG; HH Dia; SPG Plat; Marriott Gold
I don't read this as saying you need to be elite, just a regular member. It takes 30 seconds to sign up. I suppose the problem comes in if you put another FF number in the reservation, but this seems ok.
Old Feb 28, 14, 8:33 pm

The email they sent me touts the savings. Not the increase.

But since anybody can join Hawaiian Miles for free ... nobody here should get snagged by this.

-David
Old Feb 28, 14, 9:10 pm

I actually thought they were offering HawaiianMiles members a new discount. Also the email I received did not refer to elites either, simply stating: "Effective with tickets purchased on or after March 10, 2014, HawaiianMiles members can enjoy reduced checked baggage fees when traveling between the Neighbor Islands!"
Old Feb 28, 14, 9:16 pm

Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Originally Posted by lkar View Post
I don't read this as saying you need to be elite, just a regular member. It takes 30 seconds to sign up. I suppose the problem comes in if you put another FF number in the reservation, but this seems ok.
The free bags will only apply to Plats and Gold. This is what the HA website says:

"*Pualani Platinum members receive the first three (3) bags complimentary. Applies to members only. Applicable overweight and excess baggage fees will apply. The next additional bag will be charged at the 4th bag fee.

*Pualani Gold members receive the first two (2) bags complimentary. Applies to members only. Applicable overweight and excess baggage fees will apply. The next additional bag will be charged at the 3rd bag fee."

Notice, nothing is said about regular members.
Old Mar 1, 14, 12:54 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Looks like a nicely devious way of reducing the amounts they pay other airlines for miles on interisland connections to mainland flights. Saves a few bucks and doesn't tick off anyone they care about very much.
Old Mar 1, 14, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by LIH Prem View Post
The email they sent me touts the savings. Not the increase.

But since anybody can join Hawaiian Miles for free ... nobody here should get snagged by this.

-David
I am not entirely sure if a pnr like lax-koa-hnl can have two mileage numbers (i recall trouble switching ff on usair flights for example).
Old Mar 1, 14, 11:04 am

Programs: 1k MM, Hyatt Diamond,Marriott Gold, IHG Sphire, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Carson Gold
You can upgrade to First when you check in for $50 alot of the time. You get 2 free bags so it wont cost any more if you have 2 bags
Old Mar 1, 14, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K3MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by goods312 View Post
I actually thought they were offering HawaiianMiles members a new discount.
They are. The current neighbor island first bag fee is $17. If you aren't a Hawaiian Miles member, the fee increases to $25. If you are a Hawaiian Miles member, the fee will be $15. (Still free for elite members), for tickets issues after Mar 10.
Old Mar 4, 14, 4:35 pm

And if you travel heavy (say a mainlander here for the winter) and want to check 2 bags, it's a fee increase even for Hawaiian Miles members --- your two bags will now cost $35, not $34.
Old Mar 6, 14, 11:51 am

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by udontknowme View Post
And if you travel heavy (say a mainlander here for the winter) and want to check 2 bags, it's a fee increase even for Hawaiian Miles members --- your two bags will now cost $35, not $34.
As high as fares are from the Mainland to Hawaii these days, I don't think anyone is going to care about $1.
Old Mar 6, 14, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa View Post
As high as fares are from the Mainland to Hawaii these days, I don't think anyone is going to care about $1.
Good. Send me a dollar.

Search this Thread