FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hawaii-Based Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-based-airlines-447/)
-   -   Hawaiian Air boosts interisland bag fees for non-frequent fliers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-based-airlines/1556307-hawaiian-air-boosts-interisland-bag-fees-non-frequent-fliers.html)

JimNastic Feb 28, 2014 6:11 pm

Hawaiian Air boosts interisland bag fees for non-frequent fliers

From today's Star Advertiser http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...?id=247930671:

Hawaiian Airlines, seeking to encourage more passengers to become frequent fliers, is raising its fees for non-HawaiianMiles members on interisland routes from 47 percent to more than double for checked bags.

Non-HawaiianMiles members will see their fees increased to $25, from $17, on a first checked bag and more than double to $35, from $17, on a second checked bag.

The changes will be in effect for tickets purchased on or after March 10, Hawaiian said Friday.
And here is the Baggage Fees and Policies page at Hawaiian Air

azepine00 Feb 28, 2014 7:09 pm

money grab taking advantage of folks who book interisland on HA together with mainland flights on other carriers :td:

aloha spirit my foot...

lkar Feb 28, 2014 7:32 pm

I don't read this as saying you need to be elite, just a regular member. It takes 30 seconds to sign up. I suppose the problem comes in if you put another FF number in the reservation, but this seems ok.

LIH Prem Feb 28, 2014 7:33 pm

The email they sent me touts the savings. Not the increase.

But since anybody can join Hawaiian Miles for free ... nobody here should get snagged by this.

-David

goods312 Feb 28, 2014 8:10 pm

I actually thought they were offering HawaiianMiles members a new discount. Also the email I received did not refer to elites either, simply stating: "Effective with tickets purchased on or after March 10, 2014, HawaiianMiles members can enjoy reduced checked baggage fees when traveling between the Neighbor Islands!"

747FC Feb 28, 2014 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by lkar (Post 22439432)
I don't read this as saying you need to be elite, just a regular member. It takes 30 seconds to sign up. I suppose the problem comes in if you put another FF number in the reservation, but this seems ok.

The free bags will only apply to Plats and Gold. This is what the HA website says:

"*Pualani Platinum members receive the first three (3) bags complimentary. Applies to members only. Applicable overweight and excess baggage fees will apply. The next additional bag will be charged at the 4th bag fee.

*Pualani Gold members receive the first two (2) bags complimentary. Applies to members only. Applicable overweight and excess baggage fees will apply. The next additional bag will be charged at the 3rd bag fee."

Notice, nothing is said about regular members.

WrightHI Feb 28, 2014 11:54 pm

Looks like a nicely devious way of reducing the amounts they pay other airlines for miles on interisland connections to mainland flights. Saves a few bucks and doesn't tick off anyone they care about very much.

azepine00 Mar 1, 2014 9:09 am

Originally Posted by LIH Prem (Post 22439440)
The email they sent me touts the savings. Not the increase.

But since anybody can join Hawaiian Miles for free ... nobody here should get snagged by this.

-David

I am not entirely sure if a pnr like lax-koa-hnl can have two mileage numbers (i recall trouble switching ff on usair flights for example).

1fan Mar 1, 2014 10:04 am

You can upgrade to First when you check in for $50 alot of the time. You get 2 free bags so it wont cost any more if you have 2 bags

HNLbasedFlyer Mar 1, 2014 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by goods312 (Post 22439596)
I actually thought they were offering HawaiianMiles members a new discount.

They are. The current neighbor island first bag fee is $17. If you aren't a Hawaiian Miles member, the fee increases to $25. If you are a Hawaiian Miles member, the fee will be $15. (Still free for elite members), for tickets issues after Mar 10.

udontknowme Mar 4, 2014 3:35 pm

And if you travel heavy (say a mainlander here for the winter) and want to check 2 bags, it's a fee increase even for Hawaiian Miles members --- your two bags will now cost $35, not $34.

formeraa Mar 6, 2014 10:51 am

Originally Posted by udontknowme (Post 22462216)
And if you travel heavy (say a mainlander here for the winter) and want to check 2 bags, it's a fee increase even for Hawaiian Miles members --- your two bags will now cost $35, not $34.

As high as fares are from the Mainland to Hawaii these days, I don't think anyone is going to care about $1.

udontknowme Mar 6, 2014 11:33 am

Originally Posted by formeraa (Post 22474311)
As high as fares are from the Mainland to Hawaii these days, I don't think anyone is going to care about $1.

Good. Send me a dollar.