Flight Changed to Day Early - Any Info?

Old Jan 4, 14, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

I had booked 3 flights for 3 people to leave on a Tues. HA sent a notice a few weeks ago and I just realized that they moved the whole flight ahead by 24 hours. This now causes a huge inconvenience for all of us as we all have to make different work arrangements, not to mention cancelling and rebooking our connection to get us to the departing airport, which is now higher. The originally booked flight does not exist now. It went from non-stop to a layover and change planes.
Has anyone encountered this? Does this qualify for compensation since we have so many things changed due to their change. Not to mention our hotel is booked solid.
Any tips before I call them to enquire?

Just off the phone...no compensation Really disappointing.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 13, 14 at 7:34 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 4, 14, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA, HA, CO
This will sound painful, but HA is under no obligation to compensate you for your other airline flight/hotel reservations.

In fact, this sounds similar to what happened a few months ago with travelers who booked HA's JFK-HNL flight and had separate airline tickets from XXX-JFK...then HA wound up reducing the frequency on JFK-HNL to 5x weekly (from daily) for the autumn low-season, causing issues for those who booked HA on the two days they weren't flying to/from JFK that autumn.

In your case the options you have for your HA flight(s) is that HA either:

a.) Allows you to make a free one-time change to your HA reservation for the affected flight(s) without change fees or fare difference being applied. Or

b.) Provides you a full refund of your entire HA reservation.

As an aside...I live near DCA, yet fly HA's JFK-HNL regularly and will usually book a separate DL/AA DCA-JFK flight (and vice versa) to "connect" to HA. I book the DL/AA ticket knowing full-well that if HA changes the time/date causing things to misalign with my other flight, I have to be prepared to "write off" the DL/AA ticket and get up to JFK (or back to DCA) a different way...even if it means having to spend the night in NYC.
Old Jan 4, 14, 9:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by asu-ua772 View Post
As an aside...I live near DCA, yet fly HA's JFK-HNL regularly and will usually book a separate DL/AA DCA-JFK flight (and vice versa) to "connect" to HA. I book the DL/AA ticket knowing full-well that if HA changes the time/date causing things to misalign with my other flight, I have to be prepared to "write off" the DL/AA ticket and get up to JFK (or back to DCA) a different way...even if it means having to spend the night in NYC.
Out of curiosity, why? I've never been able to convince myself that using HA to get to DC makes sense, and I live in HI.
Old Jan 5, 14, 3:57 am
Original Poster

I am still going to follow up with a complaint to the Customer Advocate on their webpage. Checking back on my correspondence from them, their notice of change to me sent in Sept. still has the date I had chosen, just time was adjusted. Really a good thing I had to call about another matter or I would have missed the flight entirely since they moved it so far ahead.
Old Jan 6, 14, 12:22 pm

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by fasth View Post
I am still going to follow up with a complaint to the Customer Advocate on their webpage. Checking back on my correspondence from them, their notice of change to me sent in Sept. still has the date I had chosen, just time was adjusted. Really a good thing I had to call about another matter or I would have missed the flight entirely since they moved it so far ahead.
Flight schedules can change frequently. Personally, if I make reservations months in advance, I check them every week or two to make sure that nothing has changed. Certainly, everyone should make a note to check reservations two weeks in advance to make sure that there are no changes.
Old Jan 8, 14, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I realize flights can change. However when the company informs you of a flight change and they give you incorrect information as to the changes, there is a problem.
Old Jan 8, 14, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA, HA, CO
Originally Posted by WrightHI View Post
Out of curiosity, why? I've never been able to convince myself that using HA to get to DC makes sense, and I live in HI.
Personal preference.

HA's service in Y is tough to beat compared to UA/AA/DL. Also, if I'm gonna have to make a stop somewhere, might as well get the most distance (and sleep) in on one segment rather have two segments of similar length, connect on the West Coast, and watch jetlag kick my butt for the 2-3 days after the trip.

(I'm not a fan of UA's EWR-HNL service nor it's now 1x-weekly IAD-HNL flight)
Old Jan 9, 14, 1:11 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fasth View Post
Yes, I realize flights can change. However when the company informs you of a flight change and they give you incorrect information as to the changes, there is a problem.
What are your specific flights and how did they change?
Old Jan 9, 14, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

HNL the original flight was from JFK to HNL on Tues.Feb4. That flight has been changed to Mon. Feb.3. The Tues. flight is not non-stop now and leaves much later.
I have received and email from HA Consumer office saying that I should send in my receipts after the flight.

Search this Thread