Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Hawaiian Airlines introduces "Extra Comfort"

Hawaiian Airlines introduces "Extra Comfort"

Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:25 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I am considering seat 11C. Is there overhead bin space above this seat, as I will have to stow both my rollaboard suitcase and personal items bag?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:04 am
azj

Originally Posted by Richard1148
I am considering seat 11C. Is there overhead bin space above this seat, as I will have to stow both my rollaboard suitcase and personal items bag?
There is TONS of overhead space throughout the entire airplane. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by azj
There is TONS of overhead space throughout the entire airplane. I wouldn't worry about it.
OK. Thanks.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:03 pm

Programs: TrueBlue/Hawaiian Miles
There should be space under your seat as well as in front of you according to these pics that cranky flier posted as well as my own experience of being in 12HJ and seeing folks having stuff at their feet. If you CAN, grab B/H and you'll def have a place for your stuff

http://crankyflier.com/2014/07/07/72...extra-comfort/

My grandfather who turns 90 next Saturday will be in 11C from JFK-HNL. Would you mind terribly reporting back perhaps with pics how the seat was in terms of comfort/legroom? I'm only going on seatguru's review of 11C which was basically "people bumping into you all the time" so if I need to move gramps over to 11B and have my wife or dad sit in 11C, I'd like to know beforehand if it's possible. The seat gets mixed reviews but I've heard good things mostly, it'd be nice to get a fellow FTer's perspective-especially where it's a 10:30+/- flight for my grandfather!

Last edited by FBWFTW; Aug 4, 2015 at 7:06 pm Reason: Added comment on my EC experience & photo
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:54 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat 75k, CA Phoenix Gold
Originally Posted by FBWFTW
There should be space under your seat as well as in front of you according to these pics that cranky flier posted as well as my own experience of being in 12HJ and seeing folks having stuff at their feet. If you CAN, grab B/H and you'll def have a place for your stuff

http://crankyflier.com/2014/07/07/72...extra-comfort/

My grandfather who turns 90 next Saturday will be in 11C from JFK-HNL. Would you mind terribly reporting back perhaps with pics how the seat was in terms of comfort/legroom? I'm only going on seatguru's review of 11C which was basically "people bumping into you all the time" so if I need to move gramps over to 11B and have my wife or dad sit in 11C, I'd like to know beforehand if it's possible. The seat gets mixed reviews but I've heard good things mostly, it'd be nice to get a fellow FTer's perspective-especially where it's a 10:30+/- flight for my grandfather!
After 6 trips in Seat 11C/G this year I second the mixed reviews: These seats do have a lot of legspace, yes. But the "bumping into you" has indeed happened several times on each trip, on 10+ hour flights when the cabin was dark. This is because of a quirk in the cabin layout design: The narrower economy seats in row 11 do not line up with the first class seats of row 3 just in front of it and there is no divider wall. So this creates a strange, counter-intuitive corner -- not visible in the photo above because the photographer is standing in it -- which you have to navigate when you want to pass from first into economy. (Which the flight crew do surprisingly often, and vigorously, during the quiet hours of the flight.) This corner happens to be located exactly where you will want to place your feet when stretching them out! So, due to the fear factor of being BANGed into when I least expect it, during dozing off or watching a movie, 11C/G are not my favorite choice for segments longer than 6 hours. If you want to catch some sleep and -- especially -- if you are a sensitive person who likes their own space.

Last edited by Alex909; Aug 5, 2015 at 4:28 am
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:48 am

Thanks for the heads up!

Originally Posted by Alex909
After 6 trips in Seat 11C/G this year I second the mixed reviews: These seats do have a lot of legspace, yes. But the "bumping into you" has indeed happened several times on each trip, on 10+ hour flights when the cabin was dark. This is because of a quirk in the cabin layout design: The narrower economy seats in row 11 do not line up with the first class seats of row 3 just in front of it and there is no divider wall. So this creates a strange, counter-intuitive corner -- not visible in the photo above because the photographer is standing in it -- which you have to navigate when you want to pass from first into economy. (Which the flight crew do surprisingly often, and vigorously, during the quiet hours of the flight.) This corner happens to be located exactly where you will want to place your feet when stretching them out! So, due to the fear factor of being BANGed into when I least expect it, during dozing off or watching a movie, 11C/G are not my favorite choice for segments longer than 6 hours. If you want to catch some sleep and -- especially -- if you are a sensitive person who likes their own space.
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll just put my wife there and have my Gramps sit with me. I just don't want him to be bugged too much. I'm HOPING they'll realize he's a WWII veteran and maybe upgrade him(and maybe me too!) if there's space but we booked him in 11C thinking it had the most room. There's another pic that's head on that shows that dogleg in the aisle so to speak. As I recall from my last trip, the FA's mostly came forward from the second galley and didn't walk through first class but for a few times when the seatbelt sign was turned on.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:12 pm

There should be space under your seat as well as in front of you according to these pics that cranky flier posted as well as my own experience of being in 12HJ and seeing folks having stuff at their feet. If you CAN, grab B/H and you'll def have a place for your stuff.
11B/H would have been my first choice, but they are already taken. I do see from the photo, however, that there are overhead bins above the center 4 seats, which was what I was wondering about. Thanks for posting the photo.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:58 pm

11B/H would have been my first choice, but they are already taken. I do see from the photo, however, that there are overhead bins above the center 4 seats, which was what I was wondering about. Thanks for posting the photo.
No problem! I hope you have a great trip! If you can get 11A/J I'd say take one of those too unless you're averse to the window-there SHOULD be enough room for you to get on out of the seat without bumping into the folks in your row. After doing some digging(there aren't a ton of great pics of Extra Comfort online as of now!) I came up with this pic that shows clearly the dogleg Alex909 talks about.

https://thedesignair.files.wordpress...2/p2213924.jpg
I hope to be the Ansel Adams of the Extra Comfort cabin and do a big trip report as well as soon as I get back. There's not too many pics/TR's of Extra Comfort out there and I hope to change that.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 21, 2015 at 8:11 pm Reason: image too large for posting
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Can pax traveling in EC use business lane at counter check in/luggage drop off? Will be flying EC from PPT soon
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by djskynet
Can pax traveling in EC use business lane at counter check in/luggage drop off? Will be flying EC from PPT soon
I don't believe so. Priority line is for FC, Plat, Gold and Premier.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:07 am

I could use some expert advice with selecting Economy Extra Comfort Seats for our OGG-JFK flight, reviews are mixed on seat guru and I'm torn between remaining seats 11H/G, 34A/B, 34H/J or 11D/E
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:34 am
azj

Originally Posted by mrstraveler
I could use some expert advice with selecting Economy Extra Comfort Seats for our OGG-JFK flight, reviews are mixed on seat guru and I'm torn between remaining seats 11H/G, 34A/B, 34H/J or 11D/E
Row 11 for sure.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by azj
Row 11 for sure.
I second that opinion. 11 for sure-although if it's not an option go for 34-I've seen YouTube vids of that space and it looks ok.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by azj
Row 11 for sure.
I second that opinion. 11 for sure-although if it's not an option go for 34-I've seen YouTube vids of that space and it looks ok.
Booked 11H/G, thanks guys! This will be our 4th time visiting the islands...after the first trip I vowed never to fly in coach again on this route because it was unbearable. Hopefully this will be a happy medium, since I'm having a difficult time finding first availability during the peak holiday season.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by mrstraveler
Booked 11H/G, thanks guys! ...after the first trip I vowed never to fly in coach again on this route because it was unbearable. Hopefully this will be a happy medium, since I'm having a difficult time finding first availability during the peak holiday season.
You're welcome!

Funny you should say that-most folks (one even posted recently in the A330 thread) think its one of the best coach experiences going! (Even not in EC)

We're going in December on 4 award tickets-we had to drastically alter our dates to get the availability-the ticket price skyrocketed at the end of our original dates and there was ZERO award availability! At the time we were also using the OLDER website where we couldn't see what seats were available so we had our fingers x'd almost to the breaking point for row 11!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.