HA to fly LAX-LIH, LAX-KOA in Summer 2014

Old Oct 17, 13, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, HA, CO
HA to fly LAX-LIH, LAX-KOA in Summer 2014

Weekly summer seasonal service from LAX to both LIH and KOA starting June 26th, 2014, and ending September 19th.

4x weekly LAX-LIH, and 3x weekly LAX-KOA. All flights to be flown with the 767.

http://investor.hawaiianairlines.com...801&highlight=
Old Oct 17, 13, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Nice! Hope this route will be very successful. Is that 767-300 aircraft? Will HA to be next new nonstop from PHX? Can A321neo will able fly from PHX-KOA/LIH/OGG? I think I should have wait for A321neo to be delivery sometime in 2017. Is A321neo has more capabilities?
Old Oct 18, 13, 1:57 pm

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Nice! Hope this route will be very successful. Is that 767-300 aircraft? Will HA to be next new nonstop from PHX? Can A321neo will able fly from PHX-KOA/LIH/OGG? I think I should have wait for A321neo to be delivery sometime in 2017. Is A321neo has more capabilities?
I believe that US Airways asked Airbus to ensure that A321neo can fly from PHX to Hawaii. But I don't know if Airbus will be able to comply.
Old Oct 18, 13, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Finally! We don't have to choose between HA via NHL or one of the legacy mainland airlines.

Looks like HA is going after O&D people like me with good departure time ex-LAX. Some of the AA/UA/DL departure times are really late in the day to accommodate people transiting from east coast.
Old Oct 20, 13, 10:24 am

Programs: UA, DL, HA, QF (ex-TW, AA, NW)
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
Finally! We don't have to choose between HA via NHL or one of the legacy mainland airlines.

Looks like HA is going after O&D people like me with good departure time ex-LAX. Some of the AA/UA/DL departure times are really late in the day to accommodate people transiting from east coast.
Yeah - or even further away than that. I've connected from LH 456 to UA 1004 twice this year.

Flights that hit the west coast in the evening are also quite nice for those of us who'd like to catch a late red-eye and get to the east coast at the start of the business day, rather than the end. Currently, lots of flights from the neighbor islands are red-eyes themselves, and the connecting flights don't get in until late afternoon.

I hope the 321neos let HA do some stuff to/from ITO.
Old Oct 24, 13, 6:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt, SPG, Hilton, Choice, WN, AA, BA, UA, HA, Avis
This is wonderful. I was planning to go to Kauai next year and was going to avoid HA because of the lack of non-stop from LAX...

this just makes sense for them.
Old Oct 25, 13, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, SPG/MR Gold, HH Gold
This is really good news. It's always the biggest dilemma of having to deal with legacies or connection in HNL going LAX-KOA!! Only downside is the 767 instead of the 330, that 330 is so nice in coach!
Old Oct 26, 13, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Surprised HA didn't run these routes already.
Old Oct 26, 13, 4:32 am

Programs: UA, DL, HA, QF (ex-TW, AA, NW)
Originally Posted by tdb27 View Post
It's always the biggest dilemma of having to deal with legacies or connection in HNL going LAX-KOA!
What non-legacy carrier were connecting to in HNL? Hawaiian is a legacy carrier (and so's Alaska) - I think the only non-legacy going to KOA is the Kona Shuttle charter, if that's still around.
Old Oct 28, 13, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
Surprised HA didn't run these routes already.
HA's strategy was to hub everything at HNL, which is understandable given its fleet size and utilization. But the LAX-Hawaii O&D market is big enough to offer direct flights to other islands... I think HA finally has enough A330/767 in the fleet and the flexibility to do this kind of flying without reducing frequency or dispatch reliability on HNL-LAX or HNL-Japan.
Old Oct 31, 13, 11:10 pm

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Here's the deal. With more A330's coming into the fleet before the 767 leases end, HA decided to do some seasonal routes from the mainland to the outer islands. If anything, these are proving routes for the upcoming A321neo's. If they attract enough passengers and revenue for the summer, they are prime candidates for the A321neo. If not, then HA has learned a relatively inexpensive lesson.

Search this Thread