Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Has Island Air On-Time Departue Improved Recently?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HA Platinum, UA 1K, CO

I flew Island Air two time this year and it was a disaster! Delay's on all flights, no information from the agents, just a disaster of an air carrier. Has it improved any under new ownership? I would like to stay at the Lanai Hotels before the end of the summer but decided with such a disaster airline forget it. Any comments if departures time have improved? Thanks.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Good way to check on a day-to-day basis to get a good sense is to go to the HNL website, narrow down the search to WP, and see if the flights are running on time or delayed:

http://hnlairportweb.com/hnlflights/FlightTrack.asp
Old Jul 23, 2013, 1:43 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Island Air

I flew them last Friday night from HNL-LIH and the flight was about 30 minutes late. It was the last flight of the day.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, AA EXP, ASMVPG
Yes the airline is improving but ATR integration is still a work in progress. Note - LNY service does have priority on the "challenged" days.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, AA EXP, ASMVPG
Looks like the last Dash 8 has really been retired and they are operating with all ATR's. Have flown three trips on the, in the last couple of weeks and on time performance is still hit and miss. This past Monday flights were within 15 min of sched vs. week earlier where some, particularly LIH, were one to two hours late.....
Old Aug 21, 2013, 8:17 am

Unfortunately, United booked the HNL-LIH leg of our multi-city itinerary with Island Air on Aug. 4. We arrived at the commuter airport well in advance of our flight & everything seemed to be fine. As it came closer to flight time, we had an announcement of a 30-minute delay. Fine, no problem. Then another delay, and another. Finally, our flight was 4 hours late leaving HNL -- and this is a 35 minute flight! There was no explanation & no offer of vouchers.

I did see someone come from an Island Air desk with new papers, so asked him if he had gotten another flight. No, it was meal vouchers ($12 per person). I did get my vouchers from the desk, and the only place to use it was a Quizno's stand & a bar/grill. (Vouchers could not be used for alcoholic drinks -- think a few belts might have pleased some disgruntled passengers!) There was no public announcement of these vouchers, and no other compensation offered.

On our return flight, United had us booked on Hawaiian Airlines. Flight took off smoothly & on time.

BTW, "go! Airlines" cancelled two flights outright while we waited for our flight. Lesson learned -- only use Hawaiian for inter-island flights!

Last edited by redhead47; Aug 21, 2013 at 8:19 am Reason: clarity

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.