FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hawaii-Based Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-based-airlines-447/)
-   -   HA Inter-island flight with a power wheelchair (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-based-airlines/1478548-ha-inter-island-flight-power-wheelchair.html)

Travelling365 Jun 22, 2013 8:37 pm

HA Inter-island flight with a power wheelchair

Hi everyone...long time reader, first time poster.

I plan on traveling from Kona to Honolulu with my dad who requires the use of a power wheelchair. Would a chair that is approximately 2'(W)x2'(D)x3.5'(H) fit on a Boeing 717? We had issues when flying with KLM on a Embraer 170 (I believe) and they had to put it on the next flight as it didn't fit in the cargo hold.

Trying to plan the trip and would really like to take him to Pearl Harbor, but the start of the trip must be to Kona due to a gifted timeshare there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

747FC Jun 23, 2013 12:22 am

Here is some information from the HA website:

"There is no weight limit for assistive devices. Assistive devices will be accepted as cabin baggage or checked baggage; however must be safely stowed as determined by Hawaiian Airlines personnel at the time of check-in and will not count towards your baggage allowance, and will be carried free of charge. Any assistive devices packed within a suitcase with other items will not be exempt from baggage charges.

If space is not available in the cabin for your assistive device, it will be tagged for special handling and placed in the cargo hold as you board the aircraft so as long as you do not need the assistive device during the flight.

At the time of check-in, the Hawaiian Airlines representative at the airport will determine when the transportation of the assistive device is free of charge. Only the primary assistive device will be accepted free of charge. Additional assistive devices not used as a primary assistive device are subject to standard baggage rules and fees."

There is a ton of other information. Go to the HA website and enter "disability" in the search box.

Aloha.

Katja Jun 23, 2013 8:22 am

The Boeing 717 is the former MD-80, right? The cargo opening on the MD-80 is 26", so the chair may not fit, or may have to be loaded sideways. I'd call HA and badger them until you get to talk to someone who knows.

Travelling365 Jun 24, 2013 1:17 pm

Thanks both for the help. I did call and they said that it would need to be loaded on its side as Katja mentioned. Hopefully the damage is limited...

Katja Jun 25, 2013 7:04 am

If the chair has a break away joystick, remove it and any other removable parts like legrests, arm rests, and cushions, and take them on the plane with you. Consider taking a manual chair as a back up in case something happens to the power chair.

If there is damage to the chair, don't leave the airport until you have filed a claim in writing.

DanTravels Jun 25, 2013 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Katja (Post 20974541)
The Boeing 717 is the former MD-80, right?

I think it was the MD-95 before it got renamed, but yeah, it's the next generation of the MD-80 (which was the next generation of the DC-9). Hope the chair has no problems - another possibility might be to look into whether it's possible to rent one on Oahu, but I have no idea.