Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Hawaiian airlines? what was I thinking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2013, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, former UA1K MM lifetime (left UA for DL), FPCPlat, DL Biz and Plat Amex

am a UA 1K, flying back from Kauai (LIH) to NYC, routed by UA LIH/HNL/IAD.
Hawaiian airlines wouldn't give us seat assignments, unless we paid $50@ for the 23 minute flight. Couldn't check in on UA. had to use the confirmation number form Hawaiian airlines to check in.
had to wait to check-in, in person, at LIH.
I stood in line, reached the person at the desk, who told me that I would have to get a boarding pass and seats at the gate. He told me to pick up my UA boarding passes there to, and dismissed me.
I expressed my frustration, flying first class on all other legs, booked through UA online and wanted both boarding passes and seat assignments.
He smirked, walked to someone else at the counter and came back with our seats, last row, middle and window seats (on a 3 and 2 configuration and a half-full flight).
he also told me that unfortunately I would need to pick up my UA boarding passes in HNL.
luckily, at the gate the gate agent gave us better seats (the 2 side, in row 5) and printed our boarding passes for the rest of the trip.

I had considered booking a nyc/syd flight on hawaiian airlines, through HNL. But with this service?
no way, Jose!

Airlines need to think about how agents at the counter and inflexibility might keep frequent flyers from trusting an airlines with expensive long haul flights when service is crucial.

just got off the flights. happy to be home.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 9:55 pm

Having to use the operating carrier's confirmation number to check in is normal. If you had a codeshare ticket operated by Lufthansa, you'd have to use LH's confirmation number to check in with them.

Not sure what the deal is with seat assignments on interisland flights. Years ago they were open seating, but then they went to assigned seats. For a while I think only HawaiianMiles elite members could reserve seat assignments in advance.

I once flew ITO-HNL-SFO-SAN; ITO-HNL on Hawaiian, the rest on United. Ticketed separately too, since the trip to Hilo was a last minute add. I showed the HA agent my United itinerary so the bags would be checked through, and I was given boarding passes for the United segments too.

I think you got a bad agent in LIH. Doing the minimum he has to and nothing more. I'd write a letter to Hawaiian to complain. Not to expect compensation, but to let them know and hold their feet to the fire a bit. Since Aloha went under it sometimes feels like Hawaiian has let things slide as they have no real competition in the interisland market, and even in the west coast market they're not as good as they used to be.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Definitely write a letter to HA about the employee's attitude. Leave out the unnecessary details Be concise and courteous. HA's station managers do follow up on employee complaints.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:53 am

Yes, I'd suggest following up with them via some feedback for sure.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:47 am

i had a situation with HA not so long ago. i sent them a letter explaining the circumstances though keeping it concise and non emotional. in our case we incurred some extra costs so we listed them but did not ask for any compensation. we merely pointed out the consequences to us. HA promptly replied and compensated us fairly. this is was done via snail mail.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, former UA1K MM lifetime (left UA for DL), FPCPlat, DL Biz and Plat Amex
thanks. I'll follow everyone's advice

and remember not to rant :-)
Old Mar 12, 2013, 8:03 pm

I'm not always impressed by their service desks. :\ Wish you luck on this one.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:27 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Exclamation more reviews of HA service

I am adding my own impressions of HA service.
The $25 fee for checked luggage is a complete non-starter. HA flights are chock -a-block with carry-on because of it! And what are we supposed to do? Arrive in the islands with zero sun cream?
HA is billed as the only airline in America which still serves meals. On our flight SEA-HNL, this consisted of a bun and a macadamia cookie (conveniently, HA offered an upgrade option of a pulled pork sandwich
The B767 was very old, bathrooms looked horrible, and the in-flight entertainment req'd a 2-prong plug not used by any other airline!

ps Not sure what was meant by the following??

Originally Posted by privacylawyer
and remember not to rant :-)
Old Mar 23, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
The B767 was very old, bathrooms looked horrible, and the in-flight entertainment req'd a 2-prong plug not used by any other airline!
You'll be surprised how many of the legacies still use the old beast and IFE system.
Even on a 10+ hr flight to Europe, with overhead screens functioning only half of the time and a horrible urine smell coming from the b-rooms
Old Mar 25, 2013, 3:40 am

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
The 767s are all slowly being phased out by the A330s, which have full AVOD in every seat and much better meal options than the boxes provided on the 767s. Not sure about SEA, but PDX switches over to the A330 next month.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 3:59 am
azj

The food is exactly the same on both the 330 and 767. The entertainment is the biggest difference. Half the 767s are from 2001-2003 and the other half (the ones being retired soonest) are from 1986, 1989 and 1992. So, while not brand new like the 330s, they're actually not THAT old. Don't let the new overhead bins fool you either... that's not the best way to figure out the age of the plane. SEA-HNL will be 330 in 2014.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by azj
The food is exactly the same on both the 330 and 767. The entertainment is the biggest difference. Half the 767s are from 2001-2003 and the other half (the ones being retired soonest) are from 1986, 1989 and 1992. So, while not brand new like the 330s, they're actually not THAT old. Don't let the new overhead bins fool you either... that's not the best way to figure out the age of the plane. SEA-HNL will be 330 in 2014.
I have flown in both aircraft from the west coast the the food is not even close to the same, so not sure where you got that idea. On the 767s the complimentary meals are in boxes and typically consists of a very simple sandwich and a brownie or some sort of salad and a similar dessert. On the A330s, the standard meal is a hot meal of something like chicken and rice with vegetables plus a sald and a dessert served standard airline tray style. The premium purchase meals offered differ as well. Having flown routes with both aircraft I can say this with confidence.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 1:47 pm
azj

With all due respect, flying every week with the company is where I get the "idea." Therefore I can say with confidence the food is indeed the same. There are no 330 menus and there are no 767 menus. There are westbound and eastbound menus tailored to the time of day and then there's the international menus tailored to the time of day and to the destination. Perhaps you flew a morning flight on the 767 and afternoon on the 330? That could lead one to believe the meal service is not the same.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 5:30 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, Hilton, AS, AA, JL, HA
Originally Posted by gradsflyer
I have flown in both aircraft from the west coast the the food is not even close to the same, so not sure where you got that idea. On the 767s the complimentary meals are in boxes and typically consists of a very simple sandwich and a brownie or some sort of salad and a similar dessert. On the A330s, the standard meal is a hot meal of something like chicken and rice with vegetables plus a sald and a dessert served standard airline tray style. The premium purchase meals offered differ as well. Having flown routes with both aircraft I can say this with confidence.
On an eastbound 767 yesterday afternoon complimentary meal was a hot chicken/rice/veggie entrée, salad w/ Italian dressing, and a chocolate cake. Serviceable, and it did not come in a box. Sounds like your definition of an A330 meal.

For-purchase meals were the two CPK salads: B-B-Q chicken and Asian chicken.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gradsflyer
Ummmm, check the menus on HA's website. The meals from mainland to the islands are the same, aircraft type makes no difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.