Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Using Hawaiian miles to fly Delta? Forgedaboutit.

Old Oct 22, 12, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, AA, United, Delta, Continental, USAirways

I just called them trying to get a Delta flight using Hawaiian miles, and was connected to their FF department (apparently located in Manila), and the lady there told me that they only entertained such requests in the 21 day period prior to departure. As a practical matter, this means that Hawaiian miles are virtually useless for travel within the continental 48 states. If I had known that before, I would never have bothered to collect their miles. David Koskoff.
Old Oct 22, 12, 9:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
HA's call center is awful. No such restriction appears on their website, and you may have better luck if you keep calling, but personally I don't have anywhere near that much patience.

Highest value use for HA miles is generally coach travel on their routes. I tend to save them for times when cash prices are on the high side and get 1.5 to 2 cents/mile for those redemptions. You can also transfer to Hilton at 1:2, and I've occasionally seen decent opportunities on their Asia/Oceania routes.
Old Oct 23, 12, 1:28 pm

They said "they" (Hawaiian) only "entertained" such requests 21 days in advance? I would have thought that would be up to Delta. I ran into something similar,though 90 not 21 ays, trying to use UA miles on an itinerary that included flights on JJ (TAM Brazilian Airlines). UA told me it was TAM's policy. I finally started using my UA miles for domestic flights, and sometimes can use just 25k for a one-way first class flight across the country (though, seemingly, minimum of 40k for Hawaii-mainland).
Old Oct 23, 12, 7:10 pm

Sure, TAM's nonsensical window is well documented on LAN's website:
"According to TAMīs redemption terms and conditions, the redemption of Award tickets with LANPASS KMS. in TAM flights will be possible with a maximum of 3 months in advance for flights within South America and within Brazil, and with 6 months for flights in intercontinental routes."

But the 21 day window is really the nadir, if true. I have never heard of such a thing though, with Delta.
Old Oct 24, 12, 1:05 am

Don't feel bad. Even Delta miles are useless for redemption on Delta unless you want to spend 2-3x normal amount. There is almost no award space there - we call them skypesos for a reason..

ANd welcome to FT!
Old Oct 24, 12, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
Don't feel bad. Even Delta miles are useless for redemption on Delta unless you want to spend 2-3x normal amount. There is almost no award space there - we call them skypesos for a reason..

ANd welcome to FT!
Amen. I have 26k miles with Delta. That would be enough for an economy or even, at times, first class ticket across the country with United or American, but with Delta hard to get a flight of that length for under 40k, and only in economy. Some 25k tix, but mainly shorter flights.
Old Oct 24, 12, 12:20 pm

I have about the same balance with Delta. The good news is that the miles don't expire. The bad news is that they don't need to. If I have occasion to fly Delta again, I'll probably credit to HA.
Old Oct 31, 12, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA, SW
So, a random and silly question I have since the 3 week window is not posted anywhere on the website. If we wanted to use our HA miles for a Delta flight to Europe (55k round trip), is that only for the US/Europe leg, or would we be able to schedule a connection in there? Since we are based in Tulsa, I would need to fly to one of the hubs first so if I need to pay for a flight to ATL, that is going to take away the advantage of using the HA miles on Delta for us. Anyone who's done this care to chime in?

Also, I'm not sure I'm willing to wait up until T-3 weeks to schedule a flight to Europe. Surely the award seats will be extremely limited that close to departure.
Old Oct 31, 12, 7:17 pm

I would not assume that the three week window is real. I've seen other accounts of HA call center people saying that, but nothing on HA's website, and the call center is bad enough that it's easy to believe that it's just a line that they've learned to use when they don't know how to do what you're asking and want you to go away. The takeaway from OP's post is that getting anything difficult out of HA's call center is going to be painful, not that you shouldn't try further out. Just know as much as you can going in about what's available and be prepared for frustration and failure.
Old Jan 9, 13, 7:53 pm

Programs: SLF Purple/Pet Cargo Bronze/Kettle 1K/Gate Louse Gold/1M SIB mi/Amtrk.0013 MH Clb/HA A330 seat 1C
FT's Coupon Connection is your friend if you have HA miles and want to trade for non-HA flights/routes:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coupon-connection-373/
Old Jan 17, 13, 10:05 am

I've got so many HA & DL miles that I need to get rid of.
Old Jan 21, 13, 4:00 pm

Yes, "forgedaboutit" ... tried for 3 yrs

It's groundhog day for me - for the third year in a row. I have 200,000 Hawaiian award miles - enough for 3 r/t tickets to Europe on their partner airline Delta (it takes 55,000 miles each). Each January - for three years in a row - I have called Hawaiian Miles to redeem my points - just to be told that there are no flights. I am off from work all summer and still, there is not one single seat available. I even called Delta to inquire about which flights were open for Hawaiian miles but they could not tell me - only Hawaiian knows that - and Hawaiian doesn't really give you specifics. I am so UPSET. All these years of using their credit card and I cannot go to my home country. I even told them that I can take vacation any time plus take my children out of school, so please find me whatever you can and he said he was unable to. I am going to call back each day and ask for a Supervisor - because I AM going to Europe with my miles.

Has anybody ever succeeded.......?
Old Jan 21, 13, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA, HA, CO
Originally Posted by elsadane View Post
It's groundhog day for me - for the third year in a row. I have 200,000 Hawaiian award miles - enough for 3 r/t tickets to Europe on their partner airline Delta (it takes 55,000 miles each). Each January - for three years in a row - I have called Hawaiian Miles to redeem my points - just to be told that there are no flights.
Have you tried calling 330 days prior to your desired departure date instead of a couple months out? Just throwing a suggestion out there.

That said, even Delta Skymiles members have major difficulties redeeming at the low-level redemption rates (which the 55,000 miles to Europe is). Combined with the fact that Delta restricts partner award ticket redemptions to only their low-band availability (can't pay more HA miles to get those flights, unlike Skymiles folks who can), your inability to redeem your HA miles for those Delta flights doesn't surprise me.
Old Jan 21, 13, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by elsadane View Post
It's groundhog day for me - for the third year in a row. I have 200,000 Hawaiian award miles - enough for 3 r/t tickets to Europe on their partner airline Delta (it takes 55,000 miles each). Each January - for three years in a row - I have called Hawaiian Miles to redeem my points - just to be told that there are no flights. I am off from work all summer and still, there is not one single seat available. I even called Delta to inquire about which flights were open for Hawaiian miles but they could not tell me - only Hawaiian knows that - and Hawaiian doesn't really give you specifics. I am so UPSET. All these years of using their credit card and I cannot go to my home country. I even told them that I can take vacation any time plus take my children out of school, so please find me whatever you can and he said he was unable to. I am going to call back each day and ask for a Supervisor - because I AM going to Europe with my miles.

Has anybody ever succeeded.......?
You're asking a lot of broad questions and while both Hawaiian and Delta are saying they don't know, there's no way they're going to search every routing of every day of the year for you. You need to do the leg work. If it were me, I'd first do a search on DL to find award availability they make to their members at the low levell. Next, I'd check airfrance.us to make sure they're making those same flights available to partners. Finally, I'd call up Hawaiian and feed them the exact flights that were available through Flying Blue and hopefully Hawaiian can see the same availability.
Old Feb 28, 13, 12:42 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
Can you redeem HA miles on any DL flight assuming there's availability? I checked their site but they only show flights from/to the US.
There's a DL flight from NRT to ROR that I'm interested in. I'm thinking on redeeming some HA miles on a business RT in that route for an upcoming trip while I'm in Japan.
In general, is it harder to redeem on partner airlines through HA than AS?

Last edited by MVF Trekker; Feb 28, 13 at 11:08 pm

Search this Thread