OGG-KOA: Hawaiian vs. Island Air

Old Oct 16, 12, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Short flight from Maui to the Big Island, so not a big difference overall, I understand, but haven't heard of Island Air before. Hawaiian would be $121 pp and Island Air $112 pp, including taxes and baggage fees (2 bags each), for the day we're looking at (1/27). Island Air a bit cheaper ticket, but higher baggage fees. Hawaiian a Boeing 717 and Island Air a deHavilland Dash-8-100/200 turboproop. I'd lean towards Hawaiian for the slightly bigger plane. On a longer flight I'd expect to maybe get higher and avoid turbulence, but for such a short flight the altitudes may be the same. What bout the attitudes?
Old Oct 16, 12, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles FO, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott gold, PC plat, spg gold, HH gold
If you have 2 bags each you might want to do HA. You can try for a 24 check-in $50 upgrade that includes 2 free priority checked bags, lounge access, and a nice seat. It is only $16 more than checking 2 bags.
Old Oct 16, 12, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO View Post
If you have 2 bags each you might want to do HA. You can try for a 24 check-in $50 upgrade that includes 2 free priority checked bags, lounge access, and a nice seat. It is only $16 more than checking 2 bags.
Thanks for the tip. Didn't know about that. Hope I remember. Only a 30 minute flight, but better than nothing and the lounge access is always nice.
Old Oct 17, 12, 4:02 am

personally i would take the jet.

Nothing wrong with Island Air, they are a very nice little airline.

-David
Old Oct 17, 12, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LIH Prem View Post
personally i would take the jet.

Nothing wrong with Island Air, they are a very nice little airline.

-David
And looking better since the Hawaiian Airlines fare jumped 15% overnight. Now about a $50 difference for two people (with two bags each) between them and Island. Didn't think I'd have to book this early for a short late January hop. Was waiting to be sure ot the date. Better do so soon. The ATRs of Island Air aren't as big as the Boeing 717s of Hawaiian, but at least are bigger than the Cessnas of Mokulele Airlines. At least with Island Air it'd be a late morning departure vs. mid-afternoon, so maybe calmer air.
Old Oct 18, 12, 10:51 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Originally Posted by SoCal View Post
Short flight from Maui to the Big Island

On a longer flight I'd expect to maybe get higher and avoid turbulence, but for such a short flight the altitudes may be the same. What bout the attitudes?
The Hawaiian flight is all of 20 minutes.

In 6 minutes you get to cruising altitude of 13,000 feet (this is lower than Mauna Kea which you are heading for). You stay at altitude for 3 minutes before beginning your descent. I would not be very concerned with "turbulence".

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/H...042Z/PHOG/PHKO
Old Oct 19, 12, 1:20 pm

Location: Juneau, Ft Lauderdale, Whitehorse, and mostly 2A or 3C. Never, EVER 4 though.
Programs: AS MVPG + BR, DL GM, Hertz Pres Circle, Natl Emerald Exec, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
I've flown KOA-OGG hundreds of times, mostly on Mokulele (only because they have so many flights, and no TSA - I *HATE* TSA in OGG, probably the worst in the entire country). Last time I did it with Island Air, they had the Dash 8 Q400. The flight will always have a few bumps no matter who you fly, mainly because of the winds whipping around the volcanoes. It is always "bad" flying into OGG (and to some extent flying out) but its been fairly smooth once you get south of Maui/Haleakala.

Its a very beautiful flight regardless who you are on... enjoy!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 21, 12 at 7:12 pm Reason: language
Old Oct 21, 12, 3:39 am

HA is not a bad option.

I have had good flights on WP. Their planes fly that route at 9,000 ft (vs 13,000 for HA) which can make the flight a bit more scenic.
Old Nov 13, 12, 12:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SoCal View Post
Short flight from Maui to the Big Island, so not a big difference overall, I understand, but haven't heard of Island Air before.
We hadn't heard of them either & recently had the same decision to make. We went with Island Air to save a few $s. OK.....here was our experience. (on 11/9/12)

Before our travel, Island Air changed our flight from a 2 pm afternoon flight to a 9:20 a.m. flight. We had not yet booked our rental car so we just dealt with that.

Then when we went to check-in online, we were unable to pay our baggage fees ahead of time. At the gate, the agent ticketed our bags with another traveler's name & gave us their boarding pass. After going back & getting that straightened out, we had to pay again for baggage fees. Supposedly, the gate agent put in a credit for paying fees under the other traveler's name, but was unable to give us a receipt proving that.

The plane was too small for a jetway so you walk outside and up the stairs (not a big deal) but seriously people were giggling as the plane looked so old, it looked like a WWII era plane. The airline employees were taking larger backpacks off of people as we were walking to the plane as nothing fit above the seats! We ended up in the last row (large 5 person bench seat). When the plane landed, the luggage came flying forward and whammed our back panel! Seriously hope some of those backpacks didn't have laptops in them!

We got to OGG safe but we will ALWAYS pay a few extra dollars in the future for HA. There is no comparison!
Old Nov 15, 12, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Wife decided she'd prefer the larger plane, so I bought tix on Hawaiian. Hoping for a smooth flight, but will be ready for bumps.
Old Nov 15, 12, 8:48 pm

Location: Juneau, Ft Lauderdale, Whitehorse, and mostly 2A or 3C. Never, EVER 4 though.
Programs: AS MVPG + BR, DL GM, Hertz Pres Circle, Natl Emerald Exec, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
IslandAir apparently only has 1 working aircraft right now.
Old Dec 12, 12, 7:42 pm
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec View Post
IslandAir apparently only has 1 working aircraft right now.
Hopefully they can get me from LIH-HNL-KOA on 1/19.
Old Dec 17, 12, 2:51 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA

TSA at OGG has always been great for me
( my home airport )
Old Dec 17, 12, 7:18 am

Island air lost my luggae 3 times. Dont know why I keeep bookingthem
Old Jan 2, 13, 12:49 pm

Programs: Marriott PPE+Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Centurion
As a small airline, Island Air also has major problems when there are equipment failures. They do not have spare planes, and do not have staff capable of making repairs on-site at all times. My last flight on Island Air had an equipment problem, and we waited 5 hours due to the repair crew being stuck in traffic on the way to the airport. Personally, I'd suggest Hawaiian Airlines for that reason alone.

Search this Thread