Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Booking directly with Hawaiian Airlines vs through 3rd party (eg Expedia)

Booking directly with Hawaiian Airlines vs through 3rd party (eg Expedia)

Old Apr 22, 12, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN Platinum
Question Booking directly with Hawaiian Airlines vs through 3rd party (eg Expedia)

I usually book directly with the airlines and hotels I travel with.

However, I might get a vacation package on Expedia, with travel on Hawaiian Airlines.

Are there any differences in booking through Expedia vs going through Hawaiian Airlines (other than the Expedia bundled vacation package) ??

For example, I have a HA frequent flier account, will I still get credit for my HA flights even if I book through Expedia?

Also, I noticed if I book on HA directly, the non-refundable fare is ~$850. If I book through Expedia, the fare is around $780, and Expedia's terms and conditions state that the fare is "refundable", subject to cancellation fees (exact verbiage: The airfare in this package is refundable, less Expedia change fees.). I don't quite understand why Expedia's cheaper fare would be refundable.
Old Apr 28, 12, 10:32 pm
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: Too many to list
Well? I'm thinking of booking one way via thankyou.com or Chase U.R.
Old Apr 29, 12, 1:36 am

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
No advantage.

Feel free to go with the better deal. As long as the fare class earns miles you will earn miles based on the fare class not where/who you bought it from.

Regardless of thank you rewards or ultimate rewards they are all paid in a kind of currency that translates into a revenue ticket that earns points.

Focus less on where it is bought from. The point is what fare class does it books into.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: