Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

HA connecting flight bag charges (& MAJOR change to inter-line policy as of 6/1/12)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HA connecting flight bag charges (& MAJOR change to inter-line policy as of 6/1/12)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:50 pm

Programs: Delta, aa, united silver
Originally Posted by Mary2e
You have to leave security to get your bags, walk over to the interisland terminal (or take the wiki-wiki) recheck and go through security again. The lines are generally shorter/faster at the interisland terminal.

You do not have to go through AG again - you only have to go through it when you're checking your bags through to the mainland. In other words, on the return trip, you'd have to go through it in HNL before your flight home.
Thanks. We would be doing it on return trip so that would mean an AG inspection and longer TSA lines correct?
How bad a walk from inter island to terminal for a delta departure to mainland with bags?

Many thanks!
Old Jun 23, 2016, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
You need to go thru Ag before you check your bags for a mainland flight, so that would be in HNL after you retrieve them from the inter island flight.

It's not a long walk, particularly if you have wheels on your bags I would say about 10 minutes, perhaps a little longer, since you have to follow the signs.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 5:22 pm

Programs: Delta, aa, united silver
Originally Posted by Mary2e
You need to go thru Ag before you check your bags for a mainland flight, so that would be in HNL after you retrieve them from the inter island flight.

It's not a long walk, particularly if you have wheels on your bags I would say about 10 minutes, perhaps a little longer, since you have to follow the signs.
Thanks so much! So if we allow 2.5 hours to claim bags, go to main terminal for mainland flight, go through AG and back through TSA - think that works? Thank you!
Old Jun 25, 2016, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
It works very well. You will probably end up sitting and waiting for your flight.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Has anyone been able to get their bags thru checked at origin when presenting a paid F itinerary on HA? Arriving into HNL on AA in F, then connecting to separate interisland reservation on HA which is also in F. I am trying to avoid the claim and recheck shuffle
To add a data point, My bags were thru checked at origin in spite of the different tickets. No sure of this was because I knew the agent or they were both F tix, but I believe she linked the HA reservation my AA one (I could see the HA flights in the AA App) after she check in.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 7:15 am

Programs: BA GGL
I have a 1hr45 connection at HNL whilst doing LIH-HNL-LAX and onwards. LIH-HNL is HA, HNL-LAX is AA. I would ideally like to check a bag with HA. I understand that it is basically a lottery as to whether HA will through check my bag to my final destination LHR (UK). If they do not, do I have enough time (weekday, 7.45pm with AA departing at 9.30pm) to collect my suitcase, get over to the main terminal and recheck it?
Thanks
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Hi everyone:

First time flying Hawaiian (and to Hawaii, actually) so have a few questions I was hoping the group could help with.

The particulars:
Flying Haneda to Honolulu on Hawaiian in Business and then connecting Honolulu to Maui on Hawaiian in Economy. Due to using frequent flyer miles, the two segments are on different PNRs despite both segments being on Hawaiian airlines.

Questions:
-Flight from Haneda is scheduled to land at 10:20am and flight departing for Maui is scheduled to leave at 11:40am. I realize it is tight, but is it so tight I should pay to change to a later HNL-OGG flight? If I don't change it, and we miss it, what are our options? According to FlightAware, this flight historically lands no later than 10:00am and often closer to 9:30am.
-Is there any way to not have to claim bags at HNL, leave security, re-check bags for OGG flight and then re-clear security?
-If I have to re-check the bags for HNL-OGG, will I be charged for them or is there a way for the free luggage allowance of my Business class fare HND-HNL carry over?

Thanks!
Tyler
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
Hi everyone:

First time flying Hawaiian (and to Hawaii, actually) so have a few questions I was hoping the group could help with.

The particulars:
Flying Haneda to Honolulu on Hawaiian in Business and then connecting Honolulu to Maui on Hawaiian in Economy. Due to using frequent flyer miles, the two segments are on different PNRs despite both segments being on Hawaiian airlines.

Questions:
-Flight from Haneda is scheduled to land at 10:20am and flight departing for Maui is scheduled to leave at 11:40am. I realize it is tight, but is it so tight I should pay to change to a later HNL-OGG flight? If I don't change it, and we miss it, what are our options? According to FlightAware, this flight historically lands no later than 10:00am and often closer to 9:30am.
-Is there any way to not have to claim bags at HNL, leave security, re-check bags for OGG flight and then re-clear security?
-If I have to re-check the bags for HNL-OGG, will I be charged for them or is there a way for the free luggage allowance of my Business class fare HND-HNL carry over?

Thanks!
Tyler
Hawaiian's minimum connect times in HNL for international to domestic are something like 3 hours. One hour is way too short in my opinion.

Do you have global entry or some other way of getting through immigration quickly? No matter what you will have to collect your checked bags on arrival in HNL and if they are checked through you can deposit them at the recheck desk before leaving customs. If not, you will have to haul them over to the inter-island terminal and check them in there, paying whatever applicable bag fee there is. Then you will have to clear security at the inter-island terminal. (Hopefully you will be able to use web checkin in their app to get your mobile boarding passes before you leave HND.)

I have no idea what they will do when you check in at your international location with Hawaiian, but when I'm flying into HNL on other airlines (JAL, TG/UA, etc) with a connecting flight on Hawaiian to Maui, I've never had a problem showing the check in agent a copy of my e-ticket receipt and they will happily check the bag through to OGG for me. Though note as I mentioned above, I still have to collect my bag at HNL and drop it at the HA bag recheck after clearing customs.

Even with global entry I tend to try to leave 1.5 - 2 hours or more for this connection. And we often clear customs/immigration in 10 - 15 minutes. But an hour is just way too short because we still have to walk over to the inter-island terminal and clear security there then walk over to the departure gate. We end up waiting around a long time especially since Tokyo to HNL is a relatively short flight and with favorable tailwinds you can arrive early. But 3 hours is too long if you have expedited access like global entry unless the incoming flight is really late, IMO. (I tried telling Hawaiian that a long time ago, but they didn't care about it, so I stopped flying them to Asia after that forced 3 hour layover, back when they were flying to MNL.)

Hope that helps. If it were me, I would change the inter-island flight. Leave 2 hours or so to be safe.

Oh, and sometimes the bags don't make the connection. you have to wait for the next flight or so in Maui.

If they refuse to check your bags through to OGG at HND (which is their right), then you will have to pay inter-island bag check fees to check them back in HNL. But you can do all that through the app after you check in in HND, so all you have to do is print the bag tag and go to a bag drop line in HNL. Hopefully you will get a nice agent at HND who will check it through for you since you are in business class.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Jun 18, 2018 at 9:48 pm
Old Jun 22, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I have an existing HA HNL-SYD flight booked on Y (depart 12:55pm). I am looking at booking separate HA OGG-HNL ticket. Would a 1:50 hour gap at HNL sufficient? I assume there are no immigration exit at HNL? Say HA185 where it arrives at HNL at 11:04am?

Also would I need to pay for bags for OGG-HNL leg, even if my HNL-SYD ticket already has bags included? Would the bags be checked through?
Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Thanks David for the very thorough advice! Have decided to not chance it and just fly in two days early - adding two days of vacation in Honolulu before going to Maui seems like a perfectly reasonable solution!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.